Chapter 19: New year’s celebration and rivalry
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New year celebration in end of month December, which is celebration champions left behind as their world's culture, people gathering in public for dance and drinks, merrymaking their time with their families and those with young children would prepared for ritual.

Fireworks made by magic and fine quality wine of Western region of Harzon, and with guard guaranteeing their safety, this was a day to let sadness go and have a good time.

It was first day of festival.

Samuel who was already wearing ceremonial clothing, and was treading to mansion's hall were everyone was gathered together with his mother, he was not a bit excited about festival.

He felt if he used his time on his researches, he would be much happier.

But he didn't planned to sour household's mood over a trivial matter.

Also this time a difference existed, his grandfather would take a visit to them, though he hadn't seen him for quite a time.

Though the name of man and that hateful prince was variant of same name, they were world apart in his heart.

When they reached hall, decorated with combination red carpet and blue colored painting on wall.

Ornamental luster filled with blue crystal hanging from ceiling was giving off pale blue light, combined with painting it caused illusion of being in heart of sea.

In the hall, Samuel's gaze landed on Simon and Carolina already being there for some time.

When Simon saw him, he averted his head, not looking at him again.

Samuel didn't want them to come face to face with him either, he was jealous of the boy and he was fully aware this himself.

He had worked hard for 10 months, but all that was still weaker than what his twin was in capital, and that wasn't just a little amount, his mana hadn't even reached Simon's initial amount.

They were siblings, their familial love wasn't need to be said out loud but it didn't mean distance wouldn't come between them.

A finger pointing at Simon came into his vision “go and have chat, you're more sensible one, so break the ice between you.”

His mother encouraged him on, with using a little flattery as motivator.

If two used excuse in their heart for avoiding each other, so she decided to give them an outside excuse for the opposite.

Samuel also noticed what her thinking was but decided to give in and comply.

Being faster than him was Carolina, she came to his side wearing beautiful creamy colored dress, not much ornamental was used in the dress she wore but it simplicity and her innocence features give her a certain pure charm.

“hello madam, hi Sam.” greeting them she directed her eyes to Emma.

Emma gave a light nod at the girl, as if to show her approval.

Turning to Samuel her eyes became a little fierce.

“so you finally decided to come out.”

“well, yeah” he give a nonchalant reply.

“hmph, are we even friends now? You didn't want to come out, you could allowed me to visit you.” Her pouting expression while saying that weighted heavily on Samuel mind.

Samuel neither went out to see anyone nor allowed anyone to visit him since time he asked his father to build the workshop, besides his mother.

“you know, I …I, aha, that's right I was working on dangerous substance, so I didn't want you endangered …” With drifting pupils he made up an excuses on spot and tried to divert the topic.

Her expression became even more sad and pained.

“that is a lie. Did you take me as that much simple person to be fooled by that?”

Her heartfelt questions made him hung his head from shame.

She was worried about him but he lied to her, kept her away and treated her coldly.

Seeing him silenced, she skipped over her question and gifted him with a way out.

“so do you want to talk about it or not? If you don't then I won't insist, but if we are still friends, then I hope you choose otherwise.” she was taking a different route for first time. 

Usually she didn't talked much or had domineering attitude. 

But bottling up her feelings caused them to pour out when they found an opening.

Trio were raised together, though she wasn't blood related to them, but their connection with each other was no different from actual one.

When they returned, with twin seriously injured, she felt also hurt.

How could she not to? She wanted to help but didn't even knew what to do.

So her condition wasn't different from the two, although she wasn't physically hurt, her mind was.

Afterwards when she met with Simon and heard him.

She found out what had happened, and what he felt about incident.

Since getting to knew about it, she wanted to become bridge between two and resolve Simon's blame towards himself.

But Samuel took refuge in his own little space, not giving her a chance to succeed in her plans.

“…of course we are friend, that'll never change no matter what.” though he took quite a while to say the word but it was said with absolute sincerity.

“so?” throwing an expectant gaze at him, hoping that boy would say the real reason behind his attempt of driving them away. 

“it was guilt, feeling like a deadweight was nothing easy to overcome, not that I overcame it though.” he spilled what he was keeping within, showcasing what he felt since then till now.

“so you felt it was your fault? About what happened and you being weak?” Her direct phrasing was stinging in his ears but he didn't run away and said the truth.

“yeah, I hate this weak self of mine, I relayed on brother and thought to myself, what's wrong with leaving everything to bro when he can do it? I didn't see clearly that I could become his weakness too, that he could be hurt because of me.”

“I pitied myself and blamed my condition, and in the end I found no courage to meet with him.” he opened the cage of his soul, showing everything to her, at end when he finished talking, he felt lighter.

“Just this?” Her curt reply baffled him.

“don't you think you're just making a simple incident too big? Also what's wrong with you relying on him? Even me?” 

“Huh?” he looked at her dazedly, not getting what she was hinting at.

“what is with that face of yours? You don't believe I can help, too? Or do you disdain taking help from a girl?” Her sharp piercing word and sulking expression told him if he said yes, she'll jump at him without doubt.

“no, it's not that, it's just I can't be dependent on you two for everything.”

“sigh, you're both the same.” leaking a sigh, she said in tiny voice that Samuel couldn't hear.

“did you say something?” he curiously looked at her.

“Nothing” she stuck her tongue at him and continued“ I'll grow enough that you can't refuse my help in future, got that?”

Her bold declaration and huge self-confidence, flustered him.

He holed himself up to escape his fear, but she was trying hard to help him face them, so how could he escape now? Even if he did, till when he could?

“then can I ask your help now?” he asked her while he gazed to their group last person.

“of course you can.” for her it was obvious what help he needed and that was what she hoped for.

As they moved forward, Carolina looked towards Emma and muttered in low voice“ I did what you asked madam” which she received a satisfied smile in return from her.

Arriving where Simon was, Samuel looked at helper he brought which she cheered him silently and beckoned him to take initiative.

Taking a deep breath, he opened his mouth.

“h-hello brother ” though stammering he delivered a greeting.

“Hi, brother” Simon replied to him but his tone was stiff and rather distant.

After greeting they stared at each other in silence.

Awkward air spread around them, Samuel didn't know what to say, his brother looked the same.

At same time they both turned to Carolina. 

Same appearance, same meaning behind their eyes, left her stuck in between them.

(come on you two, just a greeting was all you could do?) 

Grumbling to herself, she pointed at both of them and signaled them to begin, together.

Mustering his courage, Samuel said what he deemed necessary.

““I'm sorry, bro.“”

Which overlapped with Simon's word of apology.

““no, I'm the one who should apologize.””

Continuing in sync, they stared at other one.

“it was my fault for standing there doing nothing.”

“no, it was my fault, if I didn't attacked the boy first you wouldn't be harmed.”

As they both tried to claim the blame for themselves, this scene caused Carolina to facepalm at their stubbornness. 

(10 months just to say, you're at fault? Are you two idiot or something?) 

She saw them get nearer to other, looking like they want to quarrel over who is more guilty over the incident.

Though if they asked who was at fault, no one could give definitive answer.

Before they could continue, she moved forward, before they they could react, she intertwined her arms around their necks and brought them together.

“let's leave who is at fault and start anew, how about it?” Her sweet voice.

“…well, whatever she says, what about you bro?” Simon agreed readily with a blushed face

“Mm, that's right, though I'll continue my researches.” 

His steadfast reply made them feel all their try was useless.

When two looked at him in close proximity, like he was some heartless man.

“why are you looking at me like that? I'll continue and you two join in, unless you don't want to.” he separate himself from Carolina's embrace, though he stopped himself from reddening like Simon, it was still embarrassing.

The two looked at each other and then threw him, a rather sly expression. 

“so you learned such mischief in your researches, huh, you'll regret that.” A wicked smile on Simon, told him he won't get away nicely.

“yeah, although he's just as bad as you Simon.” Carolina hit them both together.

“hey, hey, what I did wrong?” Simon said with an aggrieved feeling.

“Oh, do you want Sam to know?” Her dark smile seemingly awakened Simon to what she was getting at.

“please no.” Seeing how fast he dropped to plea, made Samuel curious about what it was.

“brother, what did do to make her like this?”

“it was an accident, it's not like I intentionally did that.” 

“and that is?”

When he tried to say it, Carolina's ferocious scowling held him back.

His lips quivered, like he wanted to say it.

When their father and grandfather entered the room, Simon took opportunity of her distraction and whispered something to Samuel.

“she'll have good figure in future.”

“Huh?”at first he didn't get the meaning but realization dawned upon him after some thoughts.

(damn it, you peeped on her, didn't you? And unintentional? Stop saying that with still perverted smile that you have just by remembering.)

He didn't notice his own smile though, that look like exact counterpart of his brother's.

Their grandfather moved towards them, so they stood besides each other and bowed their head saying in unison.

““greeting, grandfather.””

Carolina stood in back and made a silent show of courtesy.

“hee, such formalities are unnecessary but you can be stubborn on strange t──”

His sentence left incomplete, he gazed at two with incredulous look, like he couldn't believe his cognitions.

“Ohho, two talented one indeed. Keep up the good work boys.” Suddenly complimenting them, confused Samuel but Simon looked like he knew what he was talking about as a bitter look passed his eyes.

Meanwhile Alan send a telepathy to James.

{Simon had been training diligently, right?}

{yes, father, after the incident he and his brother both had been like that.}

{his progress is sure monstrous, but other one is even more strange.}

{why you say that?}

{I can't read his mind.}

James eyes widened in disbelief at what he learned. 

His father mind reading was one of abilities their family had absolute trust and reliance.

Even if opponent was one with divine protection, he could invade their minds.

But for first time he couldn't, it was a normal boy with a weak constitution.

“father, grandfather, can I show you something?” Simon suddenly stepped forward and had smug look.

Two man gave him nod of consent.

“…just look closely brother, this is power that will keep us safe.” his confident word weren't aimed just at Samuel, it was aimed at any who opposed them.

Opening the window to the balcony, he stood there.

His height looked more tall, straightening his back and spreading his arms. 

Many tiny balls of flame surrounded him, but temperature didn't raised a bit.

Since incident he only focused on control his power and his rage.

To Never lose control ever again.

Fire ball moved at his order, taking height, leaving a beautiful trail of red light.

Dying the beautiful night sky red with flame that had not an ounce of hostility to anything.

Trails turned into living line entangling together and finally exploding into shower of small spark that falled to ground, gifting warmth to cold winter night.

“truly fine control boy. That's an impressive progress.” Hearing word of praise cause him to shyly back down and stay besides other two.

“then allow me to show you something.” At this point Samuel went up and stood at same place that Simon was a moment ago.

“…?” everyone had floating question mark above their head besides, Emma who knew what he was going to do.

Two magic circle formed and small cloud rose from his palm, releasing them they moved outside.

Spinning around each other for a time, Samuel clasped his palm together, which resulted in cloud clashing with each other, releasing a flash of rainbow colored lightning which zoomed upward, like an arrow aimed at sky itself.

Though it used up most of his mana but it still was beautiful display of his hard work which he wanted to be seen by other.

“lightning?” Alan eyebrows jumped upward at display, for Samuel it was results of simple inspiration but lightning was rather rare, more rare than light and dark, with biggest consumption among all magics, its strength was undeniable.

So its appearance on Samuel was quite a contradictory sight.

“how is it bro? See this, I'm not gonna stay in back for always, one day I'll stay right beside you.” he tells him what his inner will was and what he wanted, declaring him like a rival. 

“I'll look forward to that day.”

His brother word was last he heard as drowsiness took him in as he fall asleep while standing.

0