Chapter 30: Sea Dragon spirit (2)
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“wait up boy.”

A tail slammed heavily on ground blocking his way. But Rather than feeling fear over the spirit's sudden act, he felt overjoyed.

So you want something.

A deal was only possible if both side could provides a benefit that other desired, but if one sides needed nothing or something special from other, no matter how enticing of a substitute offering other one makes. In his case this weapon could provide him with power but what did he had to give in return?

His family's wealth? Mana crystals? Monster cores?

All useless, although dragon are said to like gold troves and enjoy collecting them, that are dragon that live on mountains not a sea dragon and more so, why would a spirit want wealth as it'd no use for gold and silver. Mana crystals are unusable by it, without having a master that is, and same goes for the cores.

And even if these option were viable options, why should a huge economic burden be placed on entire state for a single person?cause he is son of the Duke? He himself wouldn't accept it even if his father wanted to do such a thing. Most of nobles income was from collected taxes, so if such squander happened, the budget of most area would be either lowered or removed entirely, leading to various difficulties for low-rank citizens, in other word those at the same rank as his mother, the commoners, and this was something that neither he nor his father would ever even consider it.

So with all that said, his hands were empty, which he knew too well, even as he had showed composure in facing it ,he hadn't put much hope in it.

“what is the meaning of this?does you have something to say, if so go ahead.” Samuel asked impassively, hiding his joy from the spirit.

“why the rush young boy, you've a got a chance to converse with a being like me and you're just leaving, like this? it would be waste, don't you think?” Pontus was the same, he trying his best to hide his greed and even make a friendly smile, which was more a vicious and sinister grin.

Is that a dragon smiling face? not my place to comment but it's quite something, like merchant trying con his costumer.

“hm, you seemed quite angry Pontus, and I thought it is better to no longer bother you with the chit-chat. Besides you're using your reserve to talk with me, so I didn't want to be impolite and waste such precious resource of yours when there is not even a chance for me.”

“eh, is that so? well, thanks for consideration but I'm good. And there's a chance for you.” it was obvious that Pontus didn't believed him and the chance was what he wanted.

“really?!! there is a chance? you're not going to attack me again, do you?” Samuel asked as he stood back in his initial location, with eager yet caution gaze, looking at the spirit.

“no, I won't, …it was your fault to taunt me in the first place.” Pontus looked at him sharply for a second at returned to his calm by the next.

That was an definite spark of hostile intention there. Samuel didn't missed it but said nothing about it.

“…you're right. I was bit rash and spoke rudely. I apologize.” Samuel said sincerely. he had done it intentionally and that was why he meant what he said, whether Pontus believed him or not.

“…well, I liked your attitude, just like my own kind…well, let's leave it at that. Boy, I said that I'll give you a chance and I have few condition for you, if you can do what I ask you, I'll relinquish the ownership of artifact to you, if not then it'll be you being unfortunate.”

As their conversation went on Pontus's tone became friendlier and said what Samuel had waited for.

“what kind of condition your esteemed self may have? if it is within my capability then I'll do it for sure, no matter how long it takes.”

Only thing he could guess the dragon would wanted and he might be able provide in a long-term by himself was one thing, Reparation. Restoring the full artifact was impossible but a reforge to add compartments wasn't. However even that wasn't done by his predecessor, so it meant it was either unlikely or there wasn't capable blacksmith for the job. But considering the divine protection given in numbers in his era finding the blessed of Hephaestus was indeed manageable to him. So he proposed it and it worked as he had expected it.

“mm, that's indeed a great help but you have to add one thing on it; a fixed amount of your mana should be offered to me as remuneration on a daily basis.”

“…how much would that be?” Samuel didn't accepted to his words instantly and pried for a clear detail on their agreement.

“I'm not acquisitive and greedy, so for start I'll give a discount and around a hundred thousand would be sufficient.” Pontus said mildly like it was a generous deal from his side.

As for Samuel, he felt like cursing this swindler dragon entire race with any curse he knew. Not acquisitive? Discount? That's five time of my entire pool, bastard. But to not aggrieve the deal, he held himself and considering it carefully.

In three year he had painstakingly developed his mana pool, from initial one hundred to current twenty thousands, with a daily four time emptying his reserve. though at first he wanted more than that, he found out more than four time had no effect and he had his studies for becoming a Duke as well.

With his condition paying the amount wanted wasn't impossible, however it was way too tasking and exhausting for him, and more than that he didn't wanted to start his partnership with his artifact in an inferior position.

“what is it boy, can't afford it?” Pontus said as Samuel maintained his silence for half a minute, contemplating. he was obviously nervous and impatient. Same as Samuel needing him he had his own use for what he could get in their deal.

“…it is too much for me, how about a quarter of that?”

“a quarter?!! Shameless brat, I'm giving you an inch now and you take a mile.” at his haggling over price Pontus easily flipped and smacked his tail few time on ground.

Dragons were creature blessed with aptitude for magic and powerful body, they fought for what they needed and not negotiate for it. So as a result, Pontus wasn't well-versed in art of negotiation.

“the hell, brat…you're so damn weak that you will die by flick of my finger yet…yet…shit…”

As dragon grumble and cursing went on, entire house was shaking over the brute force which was being released from the inside of barrier alerting those who was waiting outside of it. However not single wound fell on Samuel, as force itself intentionally avoided him, so inside a raging storm of the spirit's outburst he stood calmly, looking at enraged dragon bemusedly.

He had no fear for breakdown in their talk or long stall in it, as it was he now knew what Pontus desired, his mana, though lacking in amount, it was what only he hold and it couldn't be robbed from him by Pontus. Each person mana was different with others and Pontus didn't have time or freedom of seeking someone else with same useful corresponding affinity. 

“at least increase to h…”

“forty thousand, and not a bit more.” Samuel cut in and said resolutely.

“fine, it's for now, you got to increase it later on, got it?” Pontus made compromise on matter and approved his offering amount.

“it's a deal.” Samuel said with a satisfied smile.

“then prepare to take an oath to complete ritual of the contract.”

“how?”

“it's easy, just say your name, your obligations according to term and a swear upon what you believe in; whichever God or Goddess it is that you worship.”

Taking a brief explanation made the ritual clear and indeed it was easy as he said, just one thing concerned Samuel.

“…what if I do not worship any? would my familial honor suffice as substitute?”

“you don't believe in their existence?” Pontus asked interested in him being an atheist.

“no, I do believe they exist but…had they done anything for me, to demand worship from me?”

He wasn't denying their existence or hating them by any mean, he just didn't care about them. A solid proof of them lived close to him, so denying was idiotic. However the reason human worshiped divine entities on world of Haeron was for protection they'd received at ancient war and system which helped human civilization to stand up against demons and monsters, for him who hadn't seen former and wasn't getting benefits of latter, there existed neither reason nor a reward for his belief. So it made him to be a non-believer.

“unbelievable, it seems that this is in your blood…”

“…??” Pontus unconscious muttering grabbed his attention.“what do you mean by that?”

“heh, boy did you knew your ancestor is only person in entire recorded history that has ever lost his divine protection? I think not. You can use your familial honor instead, I accept.”

Divine protection? Lost it? Why? Is that even possible? And there was no record about him having such a thing in his books anywhere, or were they removed? his countless question could only be answered by his family and the Pontus, his family wouldn't answer him cause if they didn't wanted to keep it as secret they would tell him before or keep it in records and Pontus was better option which he could ask from later on.

“are you ready boy?” responding to Pontus question with a silent affirmative nod, they began the ritual.

“then say it with me. Hereby I, Pontus of Solitary Ocean, from noble born dragon clan, accept Samuel Arion as my master and will grant him my service in return for him to commit to his promise and uphold his end of bargain, unless they other party fails to keep his promise this contract is valid till he lives. Shall the soul of deceased Dragon Gods and Goddesses and living ones in heavens be the witness of this establishment of contract.”

“Here by I, Samuel of 42th generation scion of Arions, swear upon honors my ancestor that I will provide agreed amount of mana and reparation for the artifact named Pontus, as we have negotiated upon, and if I'm unable to do so this contract will be voided and contractor Pontus would be freed and allowed to request a fair recompense from me. Shall all the past generation of Arion be witness of my sincerity in upholding and accomplishing my promises.”

Hearing terms Samuel used Pontus commented in slightly happy tone “not bad kid, good terms you got there.”

After Pontus sentence ended, it closed eyes and It's body fell down in pieces, following that the entire encompassed mist moved towards Samuel's heart. As appearance of spirit vanished, countless flying scale remained in it's place, swarming around him, looking at them, they resembled the fishes in oceans, although not big in size, nevertheless by their sheer number they could crush any obstacle in their way.

The orb in his hand was no longer there, as it slowly merged with him. in his body a raging flood flow alongside his blood, cycling in his body endlessly, and in the end becoming one with his soul. When process ended, he could feel presence of Pontus deep within himself. looking around he was standing in now empty barrier, with power of Pontus being lifted, barrier returned to their owner control and…

Crack! 

Cracks spread on barrier with an audible sound, growing in number, all three of them became web of tear line and crumbled in short time, showing a grand multi-layered magic circle on air behind it. The circle was largest he had seen or read about. With it being a total of 10 layer, he knew that it was in ranks of supreme magics, which was highest human was capable of, in maximum of 12 layer. It was all set to fire off any moment, and its rich blue color was clear indicator of who's it was. 

Repeated sound which outsiders had heard when he was negotiating with dragon had worried James of his safety, so instead of doing nothing, he had this magic set in advance, if Samuel vital had showed any sign of danger, he would crush the barrier along with mist and pulls him out forcefully even if it winded up in him attacked by Scale Whips..

“haa, you came out. So, how did it goes?” heaving a sigh of relief James came over and ensured of his well-being.

“it went just fine father, I established a contract with it.”

“excellent, though I expected no less from you, I assumed that it wouldn't be willing to become subordinate again…anyway, you did good job, son.”

Though he said that, in his heart James was unconvinced about the matter before the start, but by his father persuasion, he allowed this matter to take place. Now with the power of this artifact he could let Samuel go on his journey with much easier mind.

As worry was lifted from his heart, James removed a ring from his hand and gave it to Samuel.

“what's this father?”

It was plain small translucent grey colored ring, Samuel had seen it on his father before.

“A ring of holding. And in it carries a letter and provision for you to complete your mission. you know how to use it, right?”

Rings of holding represented a small space usable to store object inside, their capacity was vary, but it wasn't more than a hundred cubic meter in their best qualities. It'd quite a simple working, by fusing it with a strand of mana in a pattern, information of contents would be revealed directly to mind, and willing could take out the object.

“yes.”  

“good, and it appears Harold would be here in current month considering when he wrote the letter, so pack up and be ready.”

when Samuel prepared to leave them for travel preparations, one of house employee came for a report.

“my lord, Lady Emma and young lord Simon has returned form the hunt.”

“I see, let us go greet them, son.” James said and turned to Samuel.

“And please return this place to how it was father.”

The devastation left by their little work was in plain sight, and he wanted to keep this from others, so it was for the best to patch up part of land before and he left the task to best one among them.

“I'll take care of it shortly, just keep them at gates meanwhile. ” Alan responded dismissively, as task was just a simple matter for him.

“I'll accompany you as well, to tend to possible injured.” Maeve said with formal  as he followed the duo.

“same, I shall goes to the church as well if you excuse me.” Mother Marie also left the place for similar reason.

As father and son left to welcome the rest of family at the gate, they left Allan behind, not seeing his abnormality as he began used his power to fill up gouges on ground, with mud from surrounding, covering it up with a near perfect percsion.

“hah, so Pontus managed to pull it off, truly impressive …who thought even a dragon could use deceptive acting, at least Samuel didn't notice anything based on his triumphant expression.”

Unbeknownst to Samuel he was played by Pontus, even if just a little. Pontus was forced to accept him before they ever met, and it'd no other choices. With being put in that state Pontus decided to use the best he could to get most ideal outcome for him. in normal cases mana would be injected to artifact only when it would be used, while some of them provided power on their own. Pontus managed to get a decent profit in the transaction that he wasn't qualified to bargain.

“…Should we dispatch units to Miles, to keep an eye out for young lord?”Asa asked with somber and apathetic voice from behind, his expressionless face expressed no concern or anything close to it.

“no, it's all fine and it's counter-productive to send troop in Warrior Kingdom. Hopefully everything will go well like he said.”

And as always Allan held a firm belief in something other couldn't perceive or comprehend. 

“…then are we returning to island?” Asa asked again, with the same voice, as he changed subject without any debate over his reasoning over why he had proposed so in the first place, simply tossing it aside like he didn't cared at all.

“not for now, you guy will remain and keep territory safe, from now on till a new command reaches you. And worry not, nothing would threaten the island.”

The father and son pair soon reached the gates, few horse-driven cart was placed outside carrying the hunt's loot. And front of them stood Emma and Simon in light armors, who saw his brother and waved his hand happily.

“bro, you're hanging outside?” he said with a bit surprise, drawing closer.

“what? is it that strange that I am taking a breather?”

“nope, it isn't.” Simon shock his head immediately.

“come here a second I got something to show to you.” he said as he led Samuel to one of carts.

Samuel looked inside and found a huge beast remnants, most of it was burned but still trace of long horn was making it clear that it was a stone-skinned rhinoceros, which was at least at level 100. As it was killed by fire and Simon was showing it this proudly, there was no need to determine who had hunted it.

“see, I took down him down all by myself.” he gave an enigmatic smile and looked at Samuel, expecting something.

“uh, good work at cooking it, I guess?”

“what cooking…”

Samuel only smiled shallowly at Simon dejected comeback to his uninterested praising.

Simon was quite reliant on his brother, though in term of strength he was undoubtly superior to his twin, however in studying he was completely hopeless. On top of that he loved being prized, so he tried to make his brother appreciate his power.

But Samuel was jealous from within, so he only did his best not to show it on the outside.

“where's Carolina? and how was she by the way?”

The little girl had always shown intense repulse to act of killing, even for monsters, quite ironic of job and power she held so Samuel was worried about her as much as he yearned for same power as her.

“she's in one of carts, resting. And no change, she can't handle blood and stuffs, yet she is stubborn enough to try and worry me to death. I mean why not listen to me and stay back?who said she needs to do it.” as Simon began to rant about her, Samuel only smiled at him, saying nothing

“were you talking about me?” a joyous voice came from behind them.

Simon body jolted and looked back, seeing her standing behind him, gazing to his eye silently.

“yeah, he was saying how much he was worried about you and you should watch out more for yourself.”

“is that so, huh.” Carolina asked as she drew her face closer to him and poked his cheek with a mischievous grin on her.

“yes, it is…” Simon response was quite bashful.

Samuel knew what his brother feeling about her wasn't the same as himself but didn't pointed it out. he savored this moments before their farewell to their best.

“oh, by the way, I think you should go greet uncle Harold, bro. We meet by coincidence when he was on his way to here.” Simon said abruptly when he remembered it.

He is with them?isn't that early?

“where's he?”

At his question Simon found an escape avenue and used it immediately.

“I'll lead there right now.”

“hey, wait there…”

“get moving, faster bro.” Simon moved ahead toward the backside cart line and Samuel. 

At the rear of carts line a man wearing a gray cape with a hood, covering his face. Mounted on a monster, a being called Mares,the man-eating horse, he awaits there motionless. A ferocious monster which feed on human or humanoid beings, not steed everyone liked to use, as taming it is a grueling task.

“hi there kid.”

“welcome to our land, Sir Harold, though you've come earlier than we'd anticipated, we already had arranged the accommodation for you and your mount, I'll guide you there.”

Samuel voice was filled with respect and admiration. This man was his mother's martial master and their friend.

It'd been five year ago when he last visited, but Samuel remembers him clearly.

“drop the honorific, kid.”

“I'll do as you say.”

“And no need to bother, we'll depart as soon as possible.”

There was a bit of surprise for the boy of how fast they would leaving but he was still overjoyed. This time that he couldn't be with his family would be definitely lonely for him but it was what he wanted. Like most tale of adventure about young passionate man who became famous starting with no help. Even if he was deprived from few thing other enjoyed, he'd his family's support, which was more than enough.

He had to prove himself in this  

Harold silently stared at Samuel, evaluating his talent and made short sigh.

He doesn't have any.

At first glance his experience in way of martial arts, he could tell that the boy didn't had any talent for such thing. though it was nothing more than hunch but it still could be said to be a pretty solid guess by an expert.

But whether this was a worthwhile course of action or not, was for the boy to decide.

“like I'll let you. Just arrived and now you're saying you're leaving? not even going to stay for the night? Are we that bad of a host?”James voice came carrying his evident discontent.

Making a bitter smile Harold said Solemnly “sadly, I have to pass on this hospitality of yours as there is some unfinished business that I must attend to with haste, maybe next time.”

“So what if I force you?” 

“unfortunately, you're yet to outdone me, alone.” at the end he directed his line of sight toward Emma, with a delighted surprise in it.“she might have a chance though.”

“must you depart right away?” 

“yes, it's for the best.”

“do what you must then, I wouldn't insist. Samuel go bring what you need.”

“I'll be right back.”

He moved back to his room, passing among house employees that was unloading the carts. The amount of they had hunted was more than usual but Samuel didn't thought much about it. Grabbing some spare cloths and short sword from armory, he left the mansion in sentimental mood.

Returning to entrance, he saw Harold's steed had one of cart installed on it. Standing nearby was his parent, brother and friend

Samuel couldn't ride on a horse and that was why they had prepared that.

Moving toward his parent he lowered his head in reverence.

“father, mother, while I'm away take care of yourself, I'll achieve the best I can and will return.”

“Samuel.”his mother called him out, bringing herself to head-level with him and motherly gaze she said “when you reached there follow the master's instruction and avoid trouble, alright? And if…if ever you found living there or the condition at the sect hard you can return anytime, all right?”

She spoke out her worries but it was mostly her unwillingness to let his son go out of her watch.

“Son.” James interjected with his rather cold voice.“ as you're leaving the house now, we wouldn't be with you, so you have to find a way to keep you're self safe. until it isn't absolute necessity, try to solve your problem on your own, got it?”

“I will, don't worry about me, I can take care of myself in most of cases.”

“aren't you exaggerating it?” Harold chimed in.“well I get that our country have people with barbaric tendency but it's not that bad. besides, I'm there, no worries.”

“that's the most important reason, I'm letting him leave.” James responded, and brought Emma to the back with him.

Simon came forward after them and took a hold of Samuel's hand with power and vigor.

“show me what you got after you return, I wanna see how much you'll grew after you return brother, as you've said before.”

“same to you. If you get lax, I'll beat you in no time, better watch out.”

“I'll anticipate that.”

“one thing brother.” lowering his voice, Samuel continued wearing a serious expression.“ take care of Carolina, you hear? and don't do anything untoward.”

“I- I won't do anything, so r-rest assured.” Simon responded flustered and stuttering, with a slight blush.

Getting on the cart they began moving.

“And Carolina watch over this idiot while I'm away.” Samuel added before they take much of a distance from mansion.

“Who's an idiot?!!” Simon resentful voice resounded.

Leaving behind his family and home at age of nine, he journeyed for improvement in himself, seeking to obtain  what he didn't had inherently from the world. so with excitement of adventure bubbling in his heart, his first travel of life outside of the city and without presence of his parent began.

­

0