Chapter 4: Disheartened boy and growing up (3)
22 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While talk were on going in study room and Samuel was still asleep, in training ground, an excited Simon focus and calls out for his trident.

After some few moment it's back in his hand, wanting to try the weapon, he swing it around, but it's heavy and he's barely able to move it.

First his body is that of 6 year old child, so it's obvious that he isn't ready for it, second this isn't an ordinary trident, so a certain amount of strength and Stamina stat are required for it, which even with his stat boosted by divine protection are still not enough.

Trying it a few more times, he start to feel his Stamina dropping and breathing get harder for him,  he decided to store trident away.

(now let's see how my unique magics work) 

But before having the chance to do what he wants, he hear sounds of something breaking form behind him.

Turning back to see what it is, he see Carolina standing in front of a wooden doll used for sword training.

Right in middle of wooden doll, there's gaping hole. It's take good amount of strength or technique to break this doll.

Since it's made of Darkwood, which is found in blackwood family territory and Kingdom in center of continent, Kingdom of aegis.

Worried about her  he get near her, she seems to be unsteady and her face is a little pale, “are you injured?What happened?” he ask, not sure if he should go bring someone here for help or not.

“I-I'm fine, I-I w-was just testing the [focused strike], b-but it had more power than I thought and my body just feel numb and weak”

Focused strike is skill that can bring all stat to one hit, it's a lethal skill, which is one of best for assassination, but it has two big drawback, first is it requires about 100 second to charge (for level 1),  second is if user doesn't know how to control the amount of Stamina or mana and some time both, they'll use all and go to a state of exhaustion or unconsciousness, which means death for an assassin.

In her case she didn't used mana, just pure Stamina and that's the reason her body is weak.

“it's powerful skill and I'm happy for you Carolina” 

Saying this, Simon notice that her legs shake a little and she starts to fall.

Moving closer and catching her, he help her to stand by leaning on him and he mutter “clumsy girl ”

“I-I'm not clumsy ” she says flustered with a reddened face.

“okay, whatever you say Ms klutz” he says, but seeing a little tear gathering in her eye, he understands that it was a little bad to say something like that to her.

Bringing her to bench near the wall of training ground, he ask her “so do you want to rest or do you want to go back to your room?”

“I'm fine, just a little rest and I'll go to test other skills ”

“Heh” Simon let out a smug smile and declare proudly “then sit here and watch the true way of using skills and magic”

“Oh, really? Then show me Mr expert ” she says teasingly while thinking (let's see how you'll embarrasse yourself) 

He chuckle, knowing what she's thinking, standing in middle, he holds both his hand forward, trying to look cool.

He decide to go with [water of deep], trying to show a grand water magic, something like those that his dad use.

But standing in same pose for a minute, nothing happens, not even a drop of water is formed.

Sound of a surrpressd laugher come from his back “hehe, what happened Mr expert? did you failed Or are you using incantation for some special magic?”

Flustered, Simon decided to go for [ice magic], and result is still the same, “what the heck? Why is it like this? ” he grumble.

“maybe it's level restriction, like you can't use them in your current level. Or maybe your mana is lacking for using them. It's better if you ask your parents about it and don't be rash” she warn him.

But he doesn't listen and start focusing on last, [flame Manipulation].

In tiny spark take shape infront of his hands and start to grow as he feel his mana draining. 

Laughing at his success, he says with a little arrogant tone “see this Ms klutz, this is what I was talking about and this is power of a future legend.”

But his joy is short lived as flame grow out of his control and …

BOOM. 

Sound of explosion vibrates in entire mansion, making it's residents to panic. 

Emma which was on the way to training ground, start running with all of her speed, reaching there she sees Simon lying down on ground and Carolina which is fallen and is trying to move towards him, his shirt is completely burned to ash and his pant has some trace of burns.

Feeling a chill on her spine she cry out his name “SIMON”

Reaching him, she saw that On his left side of chest and left hand strange glowing marking of flame seems to be moving like living creatures.

Trying to touch his body, she feels burning pain in her hand and is forced to refrain from touching him, feeling unease from his condition and her own inability to help him, she starts to use her mana as cover for hand to check his breathing.

At this time, Samuel enter the room, seeing his mother sorrow filled expression, made his blood run cold, taking some steps forward, he stand infront of his brother.

“brother …” he call him in a weak voice, to which he get no response.

Reaching his hands towards his body which seems burning hot like flame he saw in his dream a little while ago.

He try to mimic his father water magic, he pray for something to cool down his brother body. As if giving answer to his prayer, an unfamiliar energy move from his brain to his hand.

A stream of water from in front him and move towards Simon body, after colliding with his body, a sizzling sound and heavy smoke rise in room.

“ha…ha…” Simon heavy breathing is heard, although it's seems he's in pain but it's also means that he's alive.

“Water…magic…how?” Emma let out a confused voice and look at Samuel's hands but since Simon is in a bad condition, she decided to ask about it later.

Wearing a face of pure rage looking at her child which is seemingly paralyzed on ground, wanting to scold him.

A scream of a little girl and sound of door being pushed open along with a man shout interrupt her thoughts as she turn her towards door and her face become one of horror.

““SAMUEL”“ WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?”

But before James can understand what have happened, he sees Samuel falling backward, faced with this, he throws himself forward and catch the boy.

He's unconscious and a line of blood is coming from his nose.

The boy condition is same as mana overuse that James has seen countless time in past.

(but he has neither Awakened his system yet nor he had any past training in mana control) he thought to himself.

Some of maids and butlers scared by commotion are standing at door, noticing them, James call out to them. 

“one of you go out and bring a healer from church, rest of you carry Simon back to his room and check out Carolina conditions make sure she isn't injured by explosion.” at same time of giving out instructions, he carry Samuel to his room, looking at him, his nosebleed doesn't seem to stop any time soon. 

Entering his room, he place Samuel on sofa and take out a ring of holding, hidden underneath the sofa, which holds about ten S-ranked instant mana recovery potion inside.

Activating ring with his mana, he takes one of potions and feeds it to Samuel.

But his desired effect didn't come, he's still in same situation and no recovery seems to happen.

From the name of potion, it's obvious that effect should be in an instant unlike regular potion which only boost recovery and need time to take effect.

Looking at boy condition (what is wrong with this day?what am I supposed to do for him now? Am I this useless and incompetent as a father?) such negative thoughts pass his mind.

After some time nosebleed stopped but Samuel's clothing, stained with blood and unconscious state cause James patience to become thin as he yell “is healer here yet?”

Zeth voice come inside and answer him that they're not here yet.

Sitting on chair near the sofa and waiting for some time, James feel that he's about to lose control over his mana.

Voice of a maid come from entrance, it's seems that healer finally arrived.

“Zeth, go and bring healer here after she's done with healing Simon”

“Yes, Sir” saying so, zeth go and come back with a old woman with rather anxious face, her name is Marie. 

She check Samuel condition and activate her light attribute healing magic, while talking to James with angry tone.

“what happened to this child that made his brain mana passage nearly fully dried out like this?”

James has no answer to give her and hearing her make him feel cold.

(the passage is near full drying out) this words rampage thorough his head.

If someone mana passage, no matter which one of existing two, brain or heart completely dries out it'll cause said person death, since those passage are connection of soul and body.

“Nothing to say Mr Arion?”

Hearing mother Marie voice he replies with weak tone “… I was careless and wasn't with them and this happened” After saying this his voice grow serious and continues

“also I want you to temporarily live in mansion as employed healer. You don't need to worry about other patients, I'll have the house nearest to mansion to be arranged for your work” James make such an offer,… in case such unfortunate accident repeat itself.

Hearing him, Marie give up on reproaching him any further and accept his offer, while she continues to heal the boy who has passed a calamity at age six.

From this incident two child learned danger of power and careless use of it and one child learned frustration of powerlessness and his desire to grow strong enough to help his family in future.

1