Regroup
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hayden stepped off the creaking dock, the salt of the sea still stinging his wounds. Despite the battering he had taken days before in the underground arena, he strode with purpose through the crowded streets of Yoshiha. The sun beat down as he wove between merchants shouting their wares, the heavy thud of his boots on the dusty road keeping time with his racing mind. 

"I have greatly underestimated the scale of this operation," he muttered under his breath. "They would have to send the Black Ops, ranks B and A, to eliminate Gato and the rest of them in that damn arena."  

As he passed by a group of female scouts he recognized, Hayden thought to himself those women are sometimes more careful than men on missions because they fear more and don't take unnecessary risks. The scouts nodded in greeting, their sharp eyes studying him . Hayden kept his face neutral, not wanting to reveal the turmoil of his thoughts.

He needed to regroup and rethink his strategy in fierce combat. He had been overconfident, and that mistake had nearly cost him his life. 

As he walked, Hayden clenched his fist, feeling the cuts and bruises flare up beneath his bandages. . 

Hayden pictured the hulking beast of a man who had pummeled him into the blood-soaked wall. The man had moved with lightning speed belying his size, using advanced hidden form Hayden struggled to counter. 

Hayden turned down a narrow alley, avoiding the busier streets as he made his way towards Scout headquarters. 

Heyden stood before Sosen, his heart pounding with anticipation as he relayed the latest intel . The dimly lit room was filled with maps and documents scattered across a large wooden table that separated them.

"Ah, Gato," Sosen said with a chuckle, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "You've done well to gather this information, but I'm afraid your mission in the Vilecherry region has already been completed by another scout."

Heyden's face fell, disappointment washing over him like a cold wave. 

"Johan, the unshaven rascal with the camo scarf, managed to move up from D-rank to C-Rank after completing the mission," Sosen continued, his tone light and humorous despite the serious nature of their conversation. "Heyden your intel bumped the Quest to a B-Rank mission, fit for the black ops network governed by your father, 'The Great Fang.'"

Stifling his frustration, Heyden clenched his fists at his sides. He knew Johan all too well – the brawling, joking alcoholic. It somewhat is surprising, but Sosen's next words caught his attention.

"Listen, Heyden," he began, leaning forward with a reassuring grin. "You're still young, and there's so much more you have yet to learn. A few years in the scouting ranks won't make or break your career."

Heyden exhaled slowly, allowing Sosen's encouragement to ease the tight knot in his chest. He nodded, ready to accept whatever assignment came his way.

"Good," Sosen said, pleased with Heyden's response. "I'm assigning you a special Pass up North East in the Nation of Qindaiwu. You'll train under a mentor for a few months to learn about blood flow and high altitude thin air mountains."

"Blood flow?" Heyden asked, curiosity piqued.

"Indeed," Sosen replied, his eyes twinkling with excitement. "Every high ranking person is obligated to advance by any means, and mastering your body's response to extreme environments is crucial. You possess a rich martial latency that will serve you well in this training."

"Thank you, Sosen," Heyden said, bowing respectfully. "I won't disappoint you."

Sosen clapped him on the shoulder, his smile warm and genuine. "I know you won't, kid.

 "Just remember, we all have our own path to walk. Your time will come."

Heyden's eyes fluttered open to the darkness of his apartment. Bandages wrapped tightly around his torso and head, he slowly sat up, wincing at the throbbing pain. The room spun as he stumbled to his feet and made his way to the balcony, hoping the night air would clear his foggy mind. 

Leaning against the railing, he gazed up at the sea of stars above the sleeping town. Adrian's words echoed in his mind: "I am the master of my own destiny. If I decide to take action, no one but I can sway my mind. I bear the responsibility for the consequences, and individuals like yourself are free to pursue their missions. I welcome the challenge, scout." Heyden couldn't help but grin. The man's fierce conviction reminded him of his younger brother, always thirsty for adventure, rushing headlong into peril. 

"Foolishness," he muttered. The days of clans warring over ambition were long past. They live in a civilized nation now. Adrian's talk of forging his own path was the babbling of arrogance. 

With a sigh, Heyden turned back inside. 

The outlaw's lofty notions of destiny held little significance for someone who found contentment in a structured life.

The rain poured down in sheets, turning the mountain path to mud. Heyden pulled his cloak tighter and trudged onward, squinting against the downpour. He had passed through the north gate of Yoshiha days ago, using his scout's pass to gain entry. Now he was deep in the mountains, the villages and travelers long behind him. 

He consulted his map, though the ink was running. He knew these mountains contained the hidden enclaves of martial artists and hermits. 

A rocky outcropping provided brief shelter. Heyden huddled beneath it, catching his breath in the thin air. He was close now. Somewhere ahead lay his objective, if he could just push through the storm.

With a grunt, he shouldered his pack and continued uphill. The wind whipped through the passes, threatening to tear his map away. 

The path rounded a sheer cliff face. Heyden froze. Just ahead stood a wizened old man in simple robes, barring the way. Though aged, his posture spoke of coiled strength.

Heyden tensed, but the man simply stared impassively. After a moment, Heyden inclined his head in respectful greeting. When the guardian did not respond, Heyden cautiously moved to pass. 

As he drew near, the man's eyes flashed. "What business have you here, scout?" His tone was steel.

Heyden met that piercing gaze. "My business is my own." He made to step by.

In a blink, the man moved to block him, energy radiating from his slight form. "None pass without my permission."

Heyden's hand drifted toward his weapon. He had no desire to fight, he would not be deterred. 

Hayden stepped forward as the gruff man held up a hand to stop him. 

"Before you pass, answer me this - what is the scout's code?" the man asked, his eyes narrowed.

Hayden met his gaze steadily. "Loyalty, courage, and vigilance," he replied without hesitation. 

The man studied him a moment longer, then lowered his hand. "You may pass," he said finally, stepping aside. 

Hayden let out a small breath of relief as he walked on. He had answered correctly. The scout's code was ingrained in him after years of training. Still, being tested without warning always put him on edge. 

Heyden crested the mountain ridge, his breath catching as he took in the sight before him. Nestled in a secluded valley was a temple, its tiered pagoda roofs and ornate architecture reminiscent of the ancient Training Grounds. He hurried down the winding path, eyes scanning the deserted grounds. Other than weathered statues posed in fighting stances, the place appeared abandoned. 

He entered the temple, footsteps echoing across the empty hall. "Hello?" he called out, voice bouncing off cold stone walls. "Is anyone here?"

A sudden gust of wind blasted from behind. Heyden whirled around to find a man standing there, clad in flowing orange and yellow Gi(Martial Robes). Intricate blue tattoos snaked across his bald head and down his arms. 

"State your business, stranger," the man commanded, his voice like rumbling thunder. 

Heyden stood tall. "I am Heyden Kage, a scout from Yoshiha. I've come seeking your guidance, to learn from a true master."

The man's eyes narrowed, sizing Heyden up. "Very well. But you must pass a test first." 

In a blink, the man lunged, driving his palm into Heyden's chest. The strike reverberated through him, stealing his breath and balance. He crumpled to the ground, muscles spasming. Through watery eyes he saw the man withdraw into a fighting stance, ready to continue his onslaught.

Heyden gritted his teeth. If this was the price for wisdom, he would endure it. He had to prove himself worthy.

Heyden could barely keep his balance as he's fist struck his chest again. Staggering back, he struggled to regain his footing, amazed at the power behind the simple punch. Though he's movements seemed effortless, Heyden felt as though a great gust of wind emanated from the man's fist each time he struck. 

He stepped forward, raining down blows on Heyden's shoulders and torso. "Keep your center, boy!" he said. Heyden gritted his teeth, squaring his hips and tightening his core. He focused on his breathing, on being present in the moment. He's punches still landed solidly, but Heyden found he could absorb them better, could remain upright.

As he regained his balance, Heyden's admiration for the man grew. The man possessed such skill, such precision in his strikes. He moved with a fluidity and power that Heyden longed to emulate. This man was the embodiment of what a true master should be, much like Heyden's own father. 

Heyden knew he still had far to go in his training. But with he's guidance, perhaps he could progress from a mere C-rank scout to something greater. He had to believe that, had to trust in this opportunity fate had presented him. 

Planting his feet, Heyden nodded and raised his guard. "Again," he said firmly. He smiled, and unleashed another barrage of blows. This time, Heyden was ready.

The man spake unto him and said my name is Shang Wu nice to meet you .

0