CH. 6: Student
518 4 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kenshi hadn't eaten for a whole day and was quite hungry. Seeing Shinobu bring the tray over, he also started eating without hesitation.

"Oh my, no need to rush! No one is going to snatch it from you." She jokingly said seeing him wolfing it down. "You look just like a little cat protecting its food right now!"

"... "

Kenshi's mouth was full of food, so he didn't feel like responding to her right now.

She also didn't say anything more, only gently smiling beside him.

Before long, under his devastating assault, the food was completely annihilated. 

He also breathed a long sigh, feeling his body was finally full.

"Was it delicious?" Shinobu asked from the side.

"... " He recalled when he was teased while eating, so he asked back. "Can I say it wasn't delicious?"

"Of course you can!" She indifferently laughed. "After all, this was made by little Aoi!" 

So it was made by Aoi....what a pity...

She continued. "But! If you decided to say it, don't expect to eat normal food again in the future!"

Hearing that he coughed a little, after thinking about it, he still chose to be honest. "It was very delicious, I really liked it!"

"What if this was made by me then?" She suddenly asked again.

After a pause, he still nodded. "Still very delicious!"

Shinobu's eyes curved into crescent moons, very beautiful. "Why, you have never eaten my cooking before, right?"

Kenshi answered very seriously. "Because I want to eat normal food."

Shinobu was stunned for a moment, then burst out laughing.

"Didn't expect you to be quite amusing!"

After laughing for a while, She gradually stopped, looking seriously at him. "Alright, let's talk business. Little Aoi could have told you about our Demon Slaying Corps already right?"

He nodded, this was the result he had deliberately asked about.

Shinobu continued. "To join the Demon Slaying Corps, you first have to go through arduous training, then take the extremely dangerous Mt. Fujikasane exam. Only after passing can you formally join the Corps. And joining doesn't mean everything will be fine and happy, because every one of our missions walks the line between life and death. Even so, you still want to join us?"

Kenshi firmly nodded again. This was something he had already decided, and wouldn't easily change.

Seeing his resolute expression, Shinobu was very satisfied.

Those with wavering wills would not be able to survive in the Demon Slaying Corps with its high mortality rate.

Even if they luckily survived, they wouldn't be able to advance higher and farther.

Brushing aside the hair by her ear, She looked at him and said. "Then let's make a choice!"

"What choice?"

"I know some very good places, if you go there, you'll receive even better training, allowing your potential to be developed to the greatest extent, helping you advance even higher and farther in the Corps!" 

"If you choose to stay at Butterfly mansion..." She paused, then continued. "Our Butterfly Estate is only a medical facility, we're not that knowledgeable about training. But if you choose to stay, even if our breathing techniques don't suit you, I'll still treat you like my student and nurture you!"

Kenshi was shocked, a student meant disciple, and possibly even becoming the successor to a Hashira. 

"Why are you being so kind to me?" He couldn't help but ask.

Yes...why be so kind to him...

Shinobu looked at his face, in a daze, his figure seemed to overlap with someone in her memories.

She shifted her gaze away, softly saying. "After all, I was the one who brought you in, if I just dumped you in recklessly to die, my conscience wouldn't be clear."

Empathy huh? He would just take it as that.

"So which do you choose?" She turned and asked, then added. "Don't worry, no matter where you eventually go, Butterfly mansion will always welcome you back."

He paused for a bit, then revealed a smile.

What was there to choose?

"I want to stay at Butterfly mansion!"

Only by staying here could he meet the protagonist Tanjiro, and follow the plot developments.

Things like the breathing techniques were completely not an issue.

His goal was the Sun breathing, the original breathing technique for now, he doesn't know much knowledge about this breathing technique depth to create his own, well, he could always create his own in the future.

And the Sun breathing could only be taught by Tanjiro, so no matter what he would not leave Butterfly Mansion!

Hearing this reply, Shinobu revealed a smile from the bottom of her heart, even if it was a smile she didn't notice herself.

"You've really thought it through?" She asked again.

"I've thought it through." He nodded very firmly.

Shinobu leaned forward, then suddenly said: "Can you tell me...the reason?"

"..."

What reason could there be?

He couldn't possibly say those thoughts out loud right...

He coughed drily a couple times, hesitantly saying. "Can I not say it?"

"Of course...you don't have to!" After speaking, She moved closer, grabbing his arm while softly saying. "I won't...force you."

Seeing Shinobu getting closer and closer, and his hand still grabbed unable to get away, he could only helplessly say. "Alright alright! Actually...it's because you're the only one I know so I want to stay at Butterfly mansion!"

"I see..." Shinobu said and let go of his hand. "Didn't expect you were actually a little scaredy cat!"

He looked at her expressionlessly. "Are you satisfied now?"

Only then did She nod satisfactorily. 

She then started examining his wounds, unable to help being surprised. "The injuries have already recovered so much!"

Of course! 

System product, guaranteed quality!

Although it was an Impurity Cleansing Potion, being able to also heal the wounds a bit was unexpected to himself too.

She briefly calculated and said. "At this rate, it'll probably be fully healed in four or five more days."  

"So I have to wait four or five more days before I can start training?"

Shinobu nodded, saying. "But starting tomorrow I can teach you how to use the breathing techniques. Since you chose to stay, I'll teach you properly too."

"I'll work hard!" He resolutely said.

She got up preparing to leave. "Rest well! I still have work, see you!"

He watched her walk to the door as he suddenly called out.

"Miss Shinobu!"

"What is it?"

"Your cooking is delicious!"

She turned back in surprise.

"How do you know?"

"I know now."

Seeing his sly smile, Shinobu knew she had been tricked.

"Oh forget it, rest well, goodnight!"

After She left, he lay back down on the bed.

How did he know?

It was just a hunch, when he said "not delicious" she seemed a bit disappointed for an instant.

And it was that fleeting moment that he had caught.

He slowly closed his eyes, pondering plans for the future...And trying to not dream about his past life.

46