Chapter 9: The Eve of Journey
106 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The carriage bounced on the cobble road, rocking back and forth. I looked towards the small green bird, Nychibi, who was staring daggers into Enora. Actually, that might have just been her normal look. A whipping sound could be heard from the front of the carriage.

“I still can’t believe you convinced me to let the chibi come…”

I didn’t respond to Enora’s mumble. Instead, I placed my hand on her thigh as she smiled gently at me. I looked out of the carriage window towards the south. The giant redwood trees were so far away.

I still couldn’t believe there were trees that large. The carriage bounced again, and I saw specks in the distance.

“Pegasus…”

5 Days Prior

“Nope,” Enora said.

The tall golden bird behind the counter started laughing. “She definitely keeps things interesting.”

“That’s for sure,” Bernie said.

“Like I said! There is no problem if I go with them! I am B-rank, and they will be D…”

“Are you stupid, chibi? Did you forget your brain in that arena?”

“Shouldn’t we at least hear what she has to say?” I asked.

“Huh? She tried to hit you?” My girlfriend looked at me in disbelief.

“She already apologized, didn't she?”

“You call that an apology? She didn’t even look sorry…”

We both looked at the small harpy again as she came closer from the entryway. Enora seemed ready to step between us, but I held onto her hand. When Nychibi was a few feet away I felt my vampire tense up.

As the small green girl got close enough, I could see under her eyes were red and puffy. Had she been crying?

Nychibi looked down and made her voice small. “I-I am sorry…I am sorry I tried to hit you, Melle.” She held her wings low out in front of her. “I am also sorry for fighting you, Enora.”

“It’s fine.”

“I understand if you ha-...What!?” Nychibi seemed even more surprised than me.

“Like I said, it’s fine. Melle has already forgiven you, and I…”

“Does that mean you forgive me too?” Somehow the constant glare on Nychibi’s face had gotten just a little softer. Enora looked away from the harpy who was still on the verge of tears.

“D-don’t push your luck, chibi. Melle has forgiven you, and I want to respect that. However…”

“However?”

“That doesn’t mean you can come with us.”

I giggled, lightly elbowing Enora. “Tsundere…Ow! Hey! I told you to stop that!” How many times had this vixen pinched me in one day? Although, it was worth it to see her cute blushing red face.

The golden bird I had forgotten about cleared his throat. “If I may, there is a solution that should surely solve all of your problems once you two join the guild.” Looking at him now he was quite a large bird. He must have been at least tall enough to be a professional basketball player.

“Hey! Stop that!” I said when Enora pinched me.

“But your reactions are so cute.”

“Like I was saying! Mother of all birds can you two stop. It’s gross…”

“I think they are adorable!” Bernie said, making me embarrassed yet again. These sister receptionists were too much.

“Blegh… I agree with the guild master. Just get on with it old man. I already know what you are going to say,” Nychibi said.

“Who are you calling old? Need I remind you that you are in trouble? Fighting a civilian while you yourself are a B-rank adventurer is a cause for demotion, if not suspension.”

“Ugh…”

“Oh, by the way, I never introduced myself. I am the Fallicri’s Guild Master. Although you two can call me Shorden or Little Bird, if you fancy.”

“Little Bird!? You are big enough to be in the…Ow! Stop that!”

“No can do, dork. You were about to say something silly. Plus, the allure of your cute tummy is irresistible.”

The guild master chuckled before looking down, forlorn. “Don’t worry about it, I get that a lot. There used to be a bigger bird.

Anyways, that’s not important. Like I was saying. If you two join the guild, then you can form a temporary party with Nychibi here. According to the rules of the adventurers guild, those that are on a quest together aren’t allowed any sort of in-fighting. There are serious consequences. Fines, suspension, demotion, and even… That last one doesn’t matter.”

“Of course it matters! You mean we could die!?” I asked, getting loud at the ‘little bird.’

He squawked. “That is only if there are problems, but I don’t see that happening.”

“Are you sure about that?” Enora said, narrowing her eyes at the chibi.

“I already said I am sorry! I won’t cause you any more problems! In fact, I’ll even be your frie-...”

“Not a chance.”

Ouch my girlfriend shot her down faster than an AA gun. “It’s okay, Chibi! I will be your first friend!”

“What makes you think you would be my first!? Also it’s Nychibi! Nai-chi-bee!” She was back to her usual self. Her mean eyes that could kill Kalameet were glaring at me as she got loud.

“I’m sorry, Nychibi. You already know, but I am Melle! Pleased to meet you!”

“Wh-whatever! Who said I wanted to be your friend!?” Her face was a cherry tomato.

“Tsundere…”

“I don’t know what that means! But it pisses me off! Guild Master, process these two already! I am gonna go pick up my claws from that bastard!”

“They are right here!” Bernie said, tossing them to the tsundere harpy.

“Thanks. I am still going though! Accept the quest, and put me down as a member of their party!”

“But we haven’t even… and she’s gone. Sheesh, she is such a handful. I don’t know how my sister put up with h-her.” Bernie blushed when the guild master put a wing on her shoulder.

“I am amazed she is B-rank at 17 years old, but she has worked hard. Process these two into the guild, and process the quest. I have paperwork to do,” he said before vanishing.

“How did he…”

“Place your finger on this card,” Bernie said, stealing my attention.

“Okay?”

“Ow! Why didn’t you warn me it would poke me?” A drop of my blood spilled on the copper plate.

“Now you are officially a D-rank adventurer! Your turn, Miss Vampire!”

Enora was a D-rank adventurer without even a peep as a drop of her blood landed on her copper plate. Afterwards, the plates were placed inside of a large stone tablet.

“These are yours.”

“Whoa! It has my name on it. How did you do that!?”

“Magic… Now then, Miss Garnsey, Miss Twilight. I will explain everything you need to know, so listen carefully…”

“Did you even listen to anything she said?”

“Nope! Ow! Come here, demon!” I kissed her outside, away from any onlookers. It took a while for me to break away from her succulent cherry lips.

“Shall we finally take our long-awaited bath, my cute dork?”

“Yes! But first I need new clothes. These are the only ones I have, and my pants have a hole in them.” I put my hands in the small pockets of my jeans. One of them had a hole in the bottom, and the other pocket had a single lucky dime. I pulled the dime out, showing it to Enora. “Do you think this would be worth a lot here?”

“Not a chance.”

“I figured…Anyways, to clothes shopping! Then shower!” I rolled the dime around on my hand. Even if the dime was worth nothing, from now on it would be my good luck charm. The other good luck charm was looking at me like I was a dork.

“Dork.”

“I am not!”

5