Chapter 48: Night Stroll
121 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Bubai’s face was marked with confusion. The test wasn’t mentioned in the task criteria…

“Yes, you must pass this old lady’s test if you want to take on this task. Not everyone is eligible for this task. You must meet at least the basic requirements," Granny Shu affirmed with a nod, closing her eyes and settling back into her rocking chair.

Well. It appears it wasn’t so easy to exploit the old granny for a free reading session. Bubai saluted and offered a slight bow, “Bubai listens to Shu Po Po and is willing to undergo the examination.”

"Fufu, excellent. But let this old lady warn you in advance - you cannot leave until you either complete the test or decide to quit. So, young Bubai, are you prepared to take the test now?" Granny Shu opened one eye slightly, peering at him.

At her words, Bubai hesitated.

Typically, learning a technique or method involved a prolonged stay in the Book Pavilion, repeatedly activating a jade slip with Qi to peruse its content until it was fully memorized.

However, Granny Shu had chosen to directly transmit the method to him, allowing him to skip this arduous process. Most likely, she is encouraging an immediate examination with his extra earned time!

While promptly accepting the test could earn him favor with the old lady, Bubai realized he wasn't mentally prepared for another test after the taxing test earlier today.

Moreover, he had just acquired his Foundation Establishment method and wanted some time to comprehend it...

With a wry smile, Bubai offered his apologies. “Disciple Mo Bubai will have to disappoint Shu Po Po. It’s getting late and Bubai should go home to let them not worry.”

“No matter. No matter. It’s right not to hurry.” Granny Shu closed her eye, continuing to rock in her chair in silence.

Bubai pledged with a serious expression, “Disciple Bubai promises to show up early tomorrow morning to undergo the test.”

Granny Shu nodded in acknowledgment without opening her eyes. Sensing that their conversation had reached its conclusion, Bubai bidded farewell. “Disciple Bubai is leaving.”

Seeing no further response from Granny Shu, he turned and left.

East District.

Gazing up at the dark night sky with the full moon hanging high above, Bubai found a small smile forming on his lips. “What a beautiful sight.”

However, the ambiance of the scene seemed somehow amiss. Hearing the familiar symphony of night crickets singing in the shadows, Bubai couldn't shake a wry smile as he hastened along the paved road.

Trekking only a short distance forward, his hurried steps abruptly halted when he noticed someone obstructing the road ahead.

Standing before Bubai was a tall woman, her straight black hair expertly styled in a topknot bun with a long ponytail, billowing gracefully behind her with the night breeze. Blending into the dark night, she was clad in a form-fitting, all-black ensemble that accentuated her shapely curves.

Her face was concealed by a black mask, obscuring the upper part, while a black veil hung from the mask, shrouding the lower half.

Despite her conservative attire, it still wasn't challenging to discern that she was a beauty beneath her distinctive get-up. Bubai, however, refrained from any form of disrespect as he recognized the emblem on her token - a black sun against a red background.

This was someone from the Law Enforcement Hall!

Rumors had circulated that the Law Enforcement Hall comprised mainly of beauties, and the majority of them were reputed to be virgins.

This institution was an anomaly within this sect, a sacred place for the men, yet no men dared to mess with these scary women. These fierce women were recognized for their rigorous handling of cases and renowned especially for... executing the rites of passage for the male servants.

Now, Bubai found himself face to face with one of these women. It was clear that she was here for him.

Bubai politely saluted, bowing slightly, his eyes never leaving the other, “Junior Mo Bubai greets senior sister. Senior sister is stopping me because…”

“Identity token.” Her words were sharp and concise.

Bubai's gaze shifted down to his waist, realizing that his identity token was missing.

Oh right, during the recent episode with the family guy, he remembered concealing it within the inner pocket of his pants to avoid misplacement or losing it. So, Bubai reached down into his pants, wanting to retrieve the token-

In the blink of an eye, Bubai froze in place. He felt a sharp edge prick his neck.

The woman, who had been standing at a distance, was now right before him, her dagger, resembling a jambiya, held threateningly against his neck. “What are you doing?”

Not even daring to swallow, a bead of sweat trickled down Bubai's forehead, his gaze fixed on the curved dagger now threateningly close, an ominous glow flowing within its green jade handle - clasped by slender, white fingers.

He slowly looked up, responding a tensed voice, “S-Senior sister, I’m just getting my token. I kept it in my inner pants pocket to avoid losing it…”

“...”

In a tense silence, the two locked eyes for a fleeting moment. Suddenly, Bubai sensed a breeze, and he found the woman had returned to standing a distance away, skillfully twirling her dagger in her hand.

Knowing his neck was no longer in danger, Bubai couldn't help but inwardly breathe a sigh of relief.

He offered the woman an awkward smile and without further delay, Bubai reached into his pants, rummaging until he found his inner disciple token.

Pulling it out, he gave it a few rubs against his shirt before presenting it with both hands, accompanied by a deep bow. “Senior sister, my token.”

“Don’t hide it next time.”

“Yes senior sister. Junior Bubai will heed your advice.” Bubai gradually lifted his gaze, only to find the road deserted, the mysterious woman having long vanished without a trace.

Releasing a relieved sigh, his eyes scanned the shadows, where the sounds of intimate exchange had all abruptly vanished. The Law Enforcement Hall was always watching, it’s just that they might not know.

Regardless, Bubai really didn't wish to find himself caught by them one day.

Hah, maybe he should have stayed in the Book Pavilion and took the test. Now, his little brother got a scare for nothing.

Best to hurry back to the tower and let his frightened little brother destress.

Also, it was finally time to check out his newly acquired Foundation Establishment method!

5