Chapter 114 – Diplomatic Words
385 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fan Li felt his body undergo some changes, as if the thickness of his clothes had increased. The Emperor's Undergarments had automatically adorned his body. Yet there was no discomfort, clearly an excellent fit for his physique.

The next second, the system automatically displayed the appearance of the Emperor's Undergarments in Fan Li's mind.

It turned out to be a full set of inner robes and pants, similar in style to the sleepwear from ancient costume dramas.

The most notable feature was the bright yellow fabric embroidered with several nine-clawed golden dragons. No wonder it was called the Emperor's Undergarments.

Obtaining a Heavenly-grade treasure helped dissipate some of Fan Li's frustration from having the Purple Sash Robe stolen by Princess Chang Le.

But what to do now?

Fan Li looked at the tearful Princess Chang Le not far away, and the Han Emperor Liu Xie, gazing at him with an extremely complicated expression.

‘What are you looking at? Your daughter is spouting nonsense, do you not value my innocence? I'm still a virgin in this life!’ Fan Li inwardly mocked, yet found it inconvenient to expose the Princess's lie.

What if the Princess had some plan that required his cooperation?

Fan Li even noticed that the Han Emperor's attitude towards him had changed slightly. His gaze still contained disdain and rejection, but also a hint of seeing Fan Li as his son-in-law?

Did he dislike Fan Li only because he was the "pig butting the radish"?

"Fan Li." The Han Emperor gritted his teeth as he uttered his name.

"Uh, yes?"

The Han Emperor seemed to be struggling with some inner conflict.

After a long while, he finally sighed, "Alas, you may withdraw for now. This Emperor has something to discuss with Chang Le..."

***

Fan Li was "requested" to leave Weiyang Palace.

After some contemplation, unable to fathom Princess Chang Le's motives, he decided not to dwell on it further.

Just as he was about to return to Honglu Temple, before leaving the imperial palace, someone blocked his path.

The person was tall and imposing, with an extraordinary martial aura. It was none other than Lü Bu.

"Duke of Jin, what a coincidence," Lü Bu cupped his hands in greeting, claiming it was a coincidence, but clearly, he had been waiting here for Fan Li.

Fan Li's mind raced as he guessed the other party's intention. His audience with the Emperor upon imperial summons was definitely not a secret from Dong Zhuo.

Sending Lü Bu was undoubtedly to probe for information from him. After all, in Dong Zhuo's eyes, shouldn't Fan Li be on the same side as him?

"Oh, it's my nephew the venerable," Fan Li smiled and returned the courtesy.

The previously dignified Lü Bu froze upon hearing those words, revealing a hint of embarrassment.

The downside of acknowledging multiple fathers was being seen as a junior by everyone. Fan Li inwardly looked down on him as well.

The once formidable warrior in the Records of the Three Kingdoms had now become a laughingstock.

As he mocked Lü Bu in his mind, Fan Li remained courteous on the surface. "Did my nephew come here specifically to wait for me? Does the Grand Tutor have any instructions?"

Fan Li laid it out directly.

With Lü Bu's intelligence, he didn't know how to respond. "Ah... yes, that's right." Unable to continue the charade, Lü Bu decided it was pointless to beat around the bush with a supposed ally of his sworn father.

As they walked together, he stated his purpose for coming, "The sworn father wishes to know what the Duke of Jin discussed with the Emperor."

Hah!

You fool!

As if I would reveal any secrets to you?

No wonder in the history before Fan Li's transmigration, after Dong Zhuo's death, not only did Lü Bu fail to take over Dong Zhuo's forces, but he was even shamefully driven out of Chang'an.

"Just matters regarding the diplomatic relations between our two states, nothing special," Fan Li answered leisurely.

"Oh?" Lü Bu persisted, "Please allow this nephew to trouble the Duke for more details."

Fan Li smiled faintly, "Sure!"

I'll tell you, but I doubt you'll understand.

"In Weiyang Palace, this duke had a cordial meeting with the Han Emperor. On behalf of the Chu Emperor, this duke conveyed sincere regards to the Han Emperor. The Han Emperor expressed his gratitude and sent his greetings to the Chu Emperor in return.

Afterwards, the two sides engaged in a warm and friendly discussion. This duke recounted the long history of diplomatic relations between Chu and Han, and the Han Emperor highly praised the profound friendship between our two peoples.

This duke stated that during the Han Emperor's many years on the throne, the great Han state has made remarkable progress, reaping bountiful fruits in the realms of politics, economy, and culture.

The Han Emperor also said that although the Chu Emperor has only recently ascended the throne, he has displayed outstanding political acumen. He believes that under the Chu Emperor's leadership, the future of the Chu people will be even brighter.

Afterwards, this duke exchanged in-depth views with the Han Emperor on the current situation of the Three States..."

Fan Li went on at length, but Lü Bu's expression grew increasingly strange.

What was going on?

What was he talking about?

He could understand every word, yet it felt incomprehensible?

"This...?"

‘I've heard that despite his young age, Fan Li is exceptionally talented. He caused a sensation at the Luhu Poetry Conference in Great Chu, even earning admiration from the Lord of Lu City, Lü Chunqiu? Ah! Could it be that I've read too little, unable to grasp the deeper meaning in Fan Li's words?

How vexing! Not only have I failed the task entrusted by the sworn father, but I've also lost face in front of him? As the Marquis of Wen, how can I allow others to mock me as an illiterate brute? No, this won't do... Face is paramount!’

Lü Bu possessed a degree of self-awareness. He was confident in leading troops into battle to slaughter enemies, sweeping through thousands of soldiers. But he indeed lacked literary knowledge, with little ink in his heart. After much contemplation, he finally devised a clever plan: pretend!

‘Since Great Han is under the sworn father's dominion, and Fan Li is the sworn father's ally. The Han Emperor likely cannot scheme against us either. I'll just agree to everything for now. When I return to the Grand Tutor's residence, I'll simply say that Fan Li resolutely supports the sworn father, leaving the Han Emperor helpless.’

Having made up his mind, Lü Bu maintained an appearance of careful listening. He would occasionally smile and nod, as if highly satisfied with Fan Li's response.

‘Oh? Lü Bu is quite amusing.’ Fan Li didn't speak but inwardly commented.

‘Where was I? Maintaining a stable situation in the Asia-Pacific region under the new circumstances and patterns? Could he even understand that? Should I discuss quantum mechanics instead?’

By the time Fan Li stopped talking, his mouth dry, Lü Bu had also wiped away beads of sweat from his brow.

‘Damn it, I didn't understand a single word. This task should have been given to Li Ru.’

Lü Bu stared at Fan Li for a while, confirming he had nothing more to say, then hurriedly cupped his hands, "Thank you, Duke of Jin, for sharing this intelligence. This nephew will report back to the Grand Tutor immediately. Farewell!"

Hah?

Fan Li noticed that Lü Bu didn't even need his famed Red Hare, as he scurried away swiftly. It was fortunate this fool left; otherwise, Fan Li would have run out of things to say and resorted to reciting the periodic table.

"Hydrogen, helium, lithium, beryllium..."

By the time he returned to Honglu Temple, it was already deep into the night.

Chang'an City had a curfew in effect. The spacious streets were devoid of pedestrians. Fan Li, riding in a carriage, could clearly hear the wheels rolling over each green brick.

"Too quiet, practically eerie enough to film a horror movie." He pulled aside the carriage curtain to look outside.

So dark!

Only the faint moonlight spilled from the sky, barely illuminating the path ahead.

"A dark and windy night, perfect for murder and arson? I won't encounter an assassination attempt, will I?" Fan Li idly pondered when he suddenly felt a chilling aura emanating from outside.

No!

Not a chill!

It was the aura of killing intent!

The carriage was torn to shreds by the rampant killing force. The six horses pulling the carriage, along with the carriage itself, were sliced into countless fragments.

Blood sprayed, dyeing the ground crimson within a radius of dozens of meters. The carriage driver was also instantly strangled to death!

Seated within the carriage, Fan Li's Qi Refinement cultivation was too low to even react!

A sword formed from condensed spiritual energy, as frigid as frost and bone-chilling, pierced straight through his heart in an instant!

Excruciating pain!

Fan Li felt as if his life force was ebbing away.

His consciousness gradually faded, but he still struggled to focus his gaze, desperate to discern what had happened.

Finally, Fan Li caught sight of a figure. It was a woman clad in night-robes, her face masked, standing atop a distant treetop with a new crescent moon hanging in the sky behind her.

The woman stood lightly on a single leaf, her graceful form seeming to lack any weight. In the moment Fan Li fell, the woman turned and dashed off into the distance, stepping into the void.

She glanced back at Fan Li one last time. Her gaze seemed to hold a hint of guilt and helplessness...

Thank you for the Ratings/Likes and Comments. Your support is the greatest encouragement for me!

Become a member at:
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

6