Chapter 115 – Retaliation
191 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The assassination of the Chu envoy shook Chang'an!

The Han Emperor issued an order to the imperial physicians, sparing no precious medicine, to do everything possible to save Fan Li's life.

The Grand Tutor Dong Zhuo raged with fury, commanding Lü Bu to lead the Xiliang troops to turn Chang'an upside down!

The three families of Cao, Liu, and Sun each dispatched their troops to search within a hundred li radius outside Chang'an, determined to leave no stone unturned.

Better to kill by mistake than let any suspect go!

At Honglu Temple.

When Fan Li awoke, five days and nights had passed since the assassination attempt. He felt a heavy weight crushing his chest, his bones shattered, his limbs powerless, like the "vegetative state" he often heard about before transmigrating.

"I'm still alive?" After pondering for a moment, Fan Li realized it made sense.

The Emperor's Undergarments truly lived up to its Heavenly-grade treasure status with astounding defensive capabilities. He was also very fortunate.

The assassin clearly did not know about the existence of the Emperor's Undergarments and thought one strike would finish him off, relying on strength far surpassing ordinary cultivators.

The assassin did not even confirm if Fan Li was dead before hastily retreating under the moonlight.

"The Duke of Jin is awake?!"

Three voices spoke simultaneously, filled with delight.

Fan Li looked at the three people before him - Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Quan.

He feebly said, "Thank you, Lord Cao, Lord Liu, Lord Sun..."

Cao Cao wore an embarrassed expression. "The Duke of Jin was almost assassinated within Chang'an due to our lack of protection."

"Your grace's grave injury is my fault!" Liu Bei also said.

Sun Quan's face was ashen. "It's regrettable that despite our three families' troops searching extensively, we could not find any trace of the assassin to avenge the Duke of Jin!"

Observing their words and expressions, Fan Li knew Cao, Liu, and Sun were not just putting on an act.

These three men harbored great ambitions, and Fan Li was their most important ally. Fan Li's assassination brought them no benefits, only hindering their grand plans. Their concern was genuinely sincere.

"How long was I unconscious?" Fan Li asked.

Cao Cao smiled bitterly, "Five days and five nights."

Fan Li calculated the time and frowned upon hearing this. "So the celebration will be held tomorrow night?"

The three men exchanged glances, their eyes filled with helplessness. Given Fan Li's physical condition, it was clearly inappropriate for him to attend the celebratory event.

This also meant that the three thousand Chu guards accompanying Fan Li could only remain stationed around Honglu Temple to protect his safety, unable to move freely.

"Has any lead on the assassin been found?" Sun Quan asked in a low voice.

A lead?

Five days and nights had passed, any lead would likely be meaningless by now.

Fan Li shook his head. "With her skills, since she decided to take action, she must have been confident in making a clean getaway."

Everyone fell silent upon hearing this.

The assassin's identity was not difficult to confirm - it was Sage Ruler Han Yue.

She had been missing for five days, coinciding perfectly with the time of Fan Li's assassination attempt.

However, without solid evidence, Chu and Han could not simply accuse and attack the Brahma Sound Pure Land based on mere suspicion.

"I never expected that with the three of us as deterrents, she would still dare to take action," Cao Cao sighed. "A woman's heart is as inscrutable as a needle at the bottom of the sea. From now on, we must be extremely cautious in our actions and never let ourselves be ensnared by a woman."

Cao Cao spoke those words casually, but Fan Li found deeper meaning in them.

He also found it strange. "After repeated warnings and hints, I thought I had dissuaded the Sage Ruler Han Yue from her intent to assassinate me.

Why did she suddenly take action again? If she already had an escape route, why didn't she act sooner? Throughout our journey, including roaming the streets of Chang'an, she had countless opportunities to strike.

Unless..."

Fan Li suddenly realized!

The reason the Sage Ruler Han Yue did not act sooner was that she lacked an escape route and could not ensure surviving the pursuit of Cao, Liu, and Sun's forces. Yet, she ultimately decided to assassinate Fan Li!

That meant she had secured an escape route. Being unfamiliar with Chang'an, how could the Sage Ruler Han Yue find an escape route out of nowhere?

Someone must have aided her!

Undoubtedly, someone helped Sage Ruler Han Yue prepare an escape route, prompting her to attempt the assassination!

But who?

Fan Li narrowed his eyes, considering the various powers in Chang'an one by one.

The Grand Tutor Dong Zhuo? The Han Emperor Liu Xie? Or even Cao, Liu, and Sun themselves?

Among the many forces, Dong Zhuo was the strongest, while the Han Emperor Liu Xie currently harbored the most enmity towards Fan Li.

Fan Li shook his head; none of them had an absolute motive to kill him.

"Could the Brahma Sound Pure Land actually have cultivated influence in Chang'an?"

This answer seemed most reasonable, yet also most useless.

Fan Li had only been in Chang'an for a few days. If the Pure Land truly had established influence here, how could he possibly uncover it?

‘That vicious woman, Sage Ruler Han Yue! I even gifted her five sets of clothes, thinking I could win her over with kindness and persuade her to abandon her killing intent. She's really vicious! A Great Vehicle Realm expert ambushing a mere Qi Refinement realm cultivator, I really thought I was going to die!

But the Great Vehicle Realm attack didn't seem particularly formidable? Was it because of her lack of skill or the Emperor's Undergarments' astounding defensive capabilities?’

Fan Li's thoughts drifted aimlessly until he fell into a dazed slumber, alarming Cao, Liu, and Sun, who hurriedly called for the imperial physicians.

***

In the State of Chu, Peng City, Dragon God Temple.

The system reward of a tenfold cultivation room was placed inside the temple by Fan Li.

Now, the Dragon God Temple had become the true forbidden ground of Peng City, prohibited even to the False Emperor Xiang Chong. Compared to Fan Manor, this place was far more secure.

On two meditation mats sat two identical Fan Lis, both with closed eyes in a meditative state. They wore the same attire, appearing like mirror images.

If there was any difference between the two Fan Lis, it was the fluffy white creature curled up asleep in the lap of the one on the right.

After a long while, the Fan Li on the right opened his eyes with a strange expression.

"What's wrong?" A melodious voice came from beside him - it was Wu Dang, who had been protecting him.

"Sage Ruler Han Yue’s attack was really vicious," Fan Li complained. "Five pieces of Earth-grade treasure robes couldn't restrain her killing intent towards me?"

Wu Dang shook her head upon hearing this. " Sage Ruler Han Yue is a Great Vehicle Realm expert, known as the world's number one female sword cultivator. To bribe her, you should have at least used a Heavenly-grade spirit treasure."

Fan Li smiled bitterly. "I originally had a Heavenly-grade Purple Sash Robe that I might have gifted to you. Unfortunately, it was shamelessly stolen by Princess Chang Le."

"Might have gifted to me?" Wu Dang raised her brows, her usually solemn expression showing a hint of rare emotion. "If the master wishes to please a woman, he should be more devoted."

"Hahaha!"

Fan Li burst into laughter, waking up the sleeping creature in his embrace.

"Woo~oo~~!"

The creature let out a cute howl, as if protesting being woken up so rudely despite its adorable cub-like voice.

Fan Li looked down at it with a conflicted and dejected expression. "A divine beast descending from the heavens is truly wonderful. All it does is eat and sleep, yet it grew from the first level of the Divine Transformation realm to the second level.

I use two physical bodies to cultivate day and night, with a tenfold cultivation room and copious spirit pills from the Fan Clan Pharmacy, yet I've only reached the peak of the ninth level of Qi Refinement, still unable to form my Foundation."

Fan Li grew more dejected as he spoke, feeling like crying.

Wu Dang remarked, "Master, you might as well focus on being an ordinary mortal to avoid wasting cultivation resources. The resources you've consumed recently could nurture several Divine Transformation realm experts."

Recently, she had also learned to crack jokes, adding to Fan Li's dejection.

"Let's get down to business," Fan Li said slowly. "With the Fan Clan Commerce leading the way, we will secretly cut off all trade between the Brahma Sound Pure Land and the State of Chu.

From now on, the Brahma Sound Pure Land won't be able to purchase a single needle or thread in Great Chu. If the Sage Rulers wish to nurture new disciples, they can go procure resources from the states of Han and Ming instead.

Although the Great Han has scarce resources and prices are exorbitant in Great Ming, what does that have to do with me?"

"Great Chu has always championed free trade. So-called free trade means whether or not I want to do business with you is entirely up to my whims!"

"Hahaha..."

 

If you like the content, please support. Thank you.
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

6