Chapter 118 – The Joys of Being Wealthy
153 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The video call was abruptly cut off.

Xiang Ning was fuming, resembling an enraged cat about to scratch someone. She felt utterly aggrieved. Her master Qing Qiu had informed her that Fan Li narrowly survived an assassination attempt in Chang'an, though he was gravely injured.

Worried sick, Xiang Ning hastily initiated a video call with Fan Li. Unexpectedly, he had recovered remarkably quickly.

Not only was he lively and energetic, but he even boasted about spending lavishly in Chang'an, purchasing many Earth-grade and Heavenly-grade precious robes.

Six beautiful outfits from the Yun Xiu Fang Pavilion. And not a single one for her?

"Am I not the Emperor of Great Chu? Is Fan Li not a subject of Great Chu? When buying exquisite clothing, couldn't he have considered me?"

Xiang Ning felt terribly wronged. Especially since she cared about him so much, it was like feeding a dog her wholehearted kindness.

"Why are you angry?" A calm, rippleless voice inquired - it was the Sage Ruler Qing Qiu.

Unable to perceive Xiang Ning's inner thoughts, she could not comprehend the fluctuations between anxiety, joy, and dejection. How could human emotions be so diverse?

"Master..." Xiang Ning pursed her lips, her eyes slightly reddened. "If you had a close male acquaintance who pretended to care about you but gifted precious presents to other women, would you be angry, Master?"

Xiang Ning originally thought Sage Ruler Qing Qiu would empathize with her and jointly condemn Fan Li's 'misdeeds'. However, that did not happen.

Instead, the Sage Ruler questioned her, "I was unaware that Fan Li cares about you regularly. Don't you refer to him as a 'treacherous minister' and scold him hundreds of times daily? Even I have heard many stories from you about his arrogance and overbearing conduct."

"Master~~~!!" Xiang Ning's cheeks flushed red.

She truly suspected that the Sage Ruler's unpopularity in the Pure Land stemmed entirely from her own sharp tongue!

"Furthermore, I have no close male acquaintances, so I cannot answer your question," the Sage Ruler stated matter-of-factly.

"What about hypothetically? Can't you hypothesize?" Xiang Ning felt somewhat dejected.

In her heart, she wondered if the Sage Ruler was perhaps a sentient plant, for how else could she be so rigid and emotionless?

The old adage states, "Plants are devoid of feelings."

"The Confucian saying goes, 'How can a non-fish know the joy of the fish?' Since I have no close male acquaintances, how can I hypothesize?" the Sage Ruler countered.

Xiang Ning fell silent. Both Sage Ruler Qing Qiu and Fan Li left her with a profound sense of helplessness.

"Master, my cultivation has progressed smoothly recently. Is there anything you need from me?" Xiang Ning pouted, looking dejected.

Sage Ruler Qing Qiu’ss personality was bland. Although she had agreed to take Xiang Ning as her disciple, apart from guiding her cultivation, she seldom interacted with her. The sole exception was informing her about Fan Li's assassination attempt in Chang'an.

"Nothing significant, really."

Sage Ruler Qing Qiu maintained her usual calm demeanor. "The Pure Land has encountered some difficulties. Ordinarily, we could procure various cultivation resources from Great Chu, but our purchase channels have been cut off recently.

Within the Pure Land, disciples engaged in pill refinement and energy cultivation now lack the necessary materials. Even Sage Ruler Jin De, who wished to temper her 'Virtues of Women' scripture, has been forced to cease due to material depletion and inability to replenish her stock.

The Venerable Sage Ruler is attempting to establish trade routes in Great Ming. However, prices are higher in Great Ming, and the estimated procurement cost is expected to increase by thirty percent. To reduce expenses, the Venerable Sage Ruler is considering reducing the resource allocations for disciples of various generations."

Xiang Ning exclaimed in surprise, "Such a thing has occurred?"

Yet, in her heart, she realized that since Xiang Chong had ascended the throne in Great Chu and was close to the Dowager Empress Li, he would not be responsible for severing trade channels with the Pure Land.

It had to be Fan Li's doing!

Xiang Ning immediately deduced that, retaliating swiftly after the assassination attempt, he had acted with remarkable speed!

"Ah!" Xiang Ning suddenly remembered something else and lamented, "Master, won't my cultivation be hindered as well?"

Confined within the Pure Land, without imperial treatment, she could only receive the standard resource allocation for ordinary disciples.

If Fan Li retaliated against the Brahma Sound Pure Land, didn't that make her a victim as well?

"That will not be an issue," Sage Ruler Qing Qiu shook her head, her expression turning slightly peculiar. "Yesterday, a clandestine supply channel from the State of Chu proactively contacted me, claiming to represent the Fan Clan Commerce and expressing willingness to provide various cultivation resources free of charge on a long-term basis. She paused briefly before adding, "Exclusively for your and my use."

Xiang Ning was dumbfounded. She could scarcely believe her ears.

Could this be... Fan Li's secret arrangement for her?

However, Sage Ruler Qing Qiu paid no heed to Xiang Ning's astonishment and simply handed her a gourd.

"This gourd contains fifty Heavenly-grade spirit pills and three hundred Earth-grade spirit pills, which constitute your monthly allocation."

So many?

Xiang Ning cradled the hefty gourd, gradually descending into a dazed state.

Even during her reign as the Chu Emperor, the imperial household could not afford such a generous allotment of spirit pills.

Just how vast were Fan Li's financial resources?

At that moment, master and disciple shared a rare accord.

Xiang Ning overheard Sage Ruler Qing Qiu murmuring softly, "Having wealth is truly remarkable."

***

In the Great Han Empire's capital, Chang'an.

The divine beast's descent and allegiance to the Emperor was cause for nationwide celebration.

Within the city, the dirt roads were covered in mats, and the streets were sprinkled with clean water.

At the Weiyang Palace, lanterns were hung, and a thousand tables were set for a grand feast.

The Great Han Empire's twenty-ninth emperor, Liu Xie, donned his imperial regalia, including the nine-inch heaven-reaching crown.

At this moment, he stood within the Weiyang Palace, gazing through the window at the civil and military officials taking their seats in sequential order on the plaza outside.

Liu Xie's gaze fell upon the foremost position among the gathered ministers. That seat remained vacant, indicating that Dong Zhuo had not yet arrived.

What an arrogant display. Liu Xie's expression darkened slightly, for he should have been accustomed to Dong Zhuo's audacity.

Even at an imperial feast hosted by the Son of Heaven himself, Dong Zhuo's attendance was subject to his personal whims.

However, tonight was somewhat different. Liu Xie knew that Dong Zhuo would definitely make an appearance!

"All civil and military officials, gather to congratulate me. All subjects of the Han, rejoice with me. After reigning for decades, I have finally realized that I am the true sovereign of this Han dynasty's domain.” Liu Xie seemed to be murmuring to himself.

After he finished speaking, someone else responded. At this moment, Princess Chang Le was nowhere to be seen, nor were Cao Cao, Liu Bei, or Sun Quan present.

On this celebratory night, those accompanying Liu Xie were several commanders of the Feathered Forest Guards, their armor gleaming and exuding an aura of formidability.

"Please be at ease, Your Majesty. We feathered warriors are utterly loyal to you! Tonight, we are willing to fight to the death for Your Majesty!"

With those words, the commanders knelt in unison. Their eyes burned with zealous devotion, and every word they uttered stemmed from the depths of their hearts!

Liu Xie turned and personally helped the commanders rise.

"How fortunate I am to have such loyal subjects!"

The Feathered Forest Guards were established by Emperor Wu of the Han dynasty as the emperor's personal guards.

In the Han dynasty, there were three chief ministerial positions: the Chancellor, the Martial Marquis, and the Imperial Censor.

Among them, the Martial Marquis oversaw military affairs.

However, the Feathered Forest Guards only obeyed the imperial command and were not subject to the Martial Marquis's authority.

Hence, throughout history, the Feathered Forest Guards enjoyed the utmost trust of Han emperors.

Furthermore, Liu Xie's trust in the Feathered Forest Guards surpassed even that in Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Quan.

"The Lord Protector has arrived~~~~~~~~~~!"

Suddenly, a herald's voice rang out.

Although Dong Zhuo's presence was not yet visible on the Weiyang Palace plaza, the civil and military officials fell deathly silent, like insects in winter.

Moments later, a massive procession finally appeared. Banners waved, and drums cleared the way. The procession was divided into three segments, with a vanguard and rearguard. In the center, an extravagantly ornate palanquin bore a bright yellow canopy overhead.

Liu Xie observed coldly, the words seeping through his gritted teeth: "The Emperor’s Guard of Honor..."

If you like the content, please support. Thank you.
https://www.patreon.com/ZenpaiTrans

5