CH. 3 – Sidekick?
76 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hello! I'm Hiroyuki Shi!" I waved and added a slight hop. "My quirk is Imagi Bubble!" I created a bubble below the center of the ceiling. "It lets me do anything I want!" Dozens of candies appeared inside the bubble. The bubble popped and spread the candy to the entire class.

My classmates cheered and grabbed as much candy as their little hands could. They'll cause chaos in a minute or two after they ingest them. The candies are sugary AND caffeinated! That'll run their homeroom teacher ragged.

"Eat-eat them after class, please," said their to be homeroom teacher. Which her students promptly ignored and stuffed the candies into their mouths.

It was my first day, and I had already caused gray hair for my homeroom teacher. Imagine what I could do with six years worth of elementary school. Not like the principal gonna expel me or anything, I altered him to be loyal and say, "Hiroyuki could do no wrong" for every misdemeanor I make. So, I got free rein at this school.

I watched my classmates use their quirks in out-of-body experience mode. I didn't see any worth my attention. Cannon hands? Boring. Spit launcher? Ew. Millipede? Nope. The only one I paid attention to was the quirkless boy hiding under his table. I wonder if I could push him hard enough to become my villain sidekick.

-----
Warning: Severe bullying, child abuse, child abandonment, and suicidal thoughts.
-----

-- Grade 1 --

He's finally in Elementary school; hopefully, he'll make some friends here. His preschool friends left when he told them he was qurikless…. He… doesn't know why they left him when he told them that. They asked, and he answered. But they left….

Will he make any friends, though? His classmates look like they're a rowdy bunch. One tried to pierce him… on accident, though! He dove under the safety of the table.

He glanced at the candy on the floor. He grabbed one and hid it in his pocket. He wanted to grab another, but a spiked hand took it before he could. The teacher said to eat it after school, so he'll eat it after.

School's on break, and he's about to eat his candy— No! They took it! His classmate took it. He cried to get the teacher's attention, but she just said, "It's just candy." He bawled out even more. The teacher ignored him. He was left sobbing, and no one had approached him.

After school, Hiroyuki Shi gave him some candy. He even gave him a slice of cake! He's nice. He has an awesome quirk, too! Maybe he could be my friend?

-- Grade 2 --

He… he didn't make any friends. They left him alone once he told them he was qurikless. He sobbed, his wet face on his pillow. Why doesn't anyone want to be his friend?

His classmates gave him a cold shoulder—even his teachers! There was one person who was nice to him, Shi.

Shi had put him on his team for teamwork tasks. No one wanted him in their teams at first, but Shi had come forward and took him to his.

He saw his other teammates' faces as clear as day that they didn't want to be a team with him. They pushed their tasks on me and threatened me not to tell Shi, so he didn't. They were scary.

He wasn't going to let out his complaints, though. He got a team, and they didn't have to do the work. It's a win-win situation, really! Really... He's tired. He had finished what amounted to three people's tasks, and he finished them too late at night. He hopes he'll be well-rested tomorrow.

-- Grade 3 --

His classmates noticed that their teachers ignored him. Whether he was injured from a fall to the desk by a classmate's foot or someone set his school notes to ash, their teacher didn't reprimand them, and he got one instead.

They had one thing in common, though: they were not daring enough to do it in front of Shi. The last time someone did that, they planted his face on his food tray and got expelled.

The principal practically praised Shi for stopping the bullies, but when he was the one who reported them, the principal said, "That's just how kids are." He still felt the ache in his left arm from his bullies when they knew he had told the principal.

He wants to tell Shi, but... they'll break more than his... um, what did the doctor call it? Ulna. Yeah, ulna. One more month until his cast is off. He just needed to avoid everyone.

On a good note, he's going to have a sister!

-- Grade 4 --

His parents ignored him now; they no longer cook food for him. They don't even give him a second glance. They would focus more on his sister than him.

He wanted to get the attention that his sister got, but no matter what, they would not pay him any attention.

Except, of course, when they blamed him. They started to blame him for everything, even though he stayed outside or in his bedroom. The blender was broken and shattered by his mom? He got blamed. His sister tilted a standing lamp? It was his fault, of course.

The worst started when his mom started to slap him on the cheeks. His dad, however, holds no reserve. His dad would lock him from their house, spankings, or seiza for a long time.

The punishment got worse when his mom and sister were not in the house. Treating his hands as a personal ashtray, whipping his bottoms with a belt, or pulled his hair and dragged him to the closet and locked him. His head still throbbed from the last one.

He sat in a fetal position as he left the real world and pain and dove into his mind, where everything was quiet. He prefers this to being outside his mind.

-- Grade 5 --

He was tired. So, so very tired. His entire body ached, and his mind floated on a cloud. He stared at the starry sky above. The night was cold, but at least it didn't rain. Small mercies.

The roof he's on wasn't his own; it was of a deserted house. He makes the deserted house his own, one abandoned to the other. It wasn't safe for him to live with his family anymore….

He still goes there to get food, but only when his family isn't around. He had moved his bedroom to the abandoned house. It took a while with his ten-year-old body, but he did it. He got a home where there wouldn't be any burns on his hands. Sure, it could do with some renovations, but he had already considered it his home.

School was the only place left that could hurt him. He goes to school occasionally, usually just two to four days a week. His homework piled up, but he didn't care. The teacher would scold him—like they even care for some quirkless child.

Some weight had escaped from him, as he skipped meals often because he forgot the time. He was scrawny with baggy eyelids. Hardly got any good sleep with the cold biting him. His oversized stolen jacket could do so much, and with winter peeking in, he could only hope it would be nice enough this year for him to survive.

-- Grade 6 --

Maybe they were right—he was just a waste of space. That he shouldn't have existed. That they were better than him in every way possible. He leans into the bar at the top of the news building his school touring in.

He had scars littered on his skin—from his father's, from his bullies, and from some of the teachers. He was just so tired of life.

He looked at the ground below. Would he die instantly if he fell from this height? The breeze would bellow around him until he was squashed by the ground.

He had nothing to live for. His family didn't care, his little sister had gotten a quirk, and his academics were at an all-time low. Sadness, emptiness, and hopelessness embraced him like a friend.

Emotions such as cold and unbridled fury were thrown into his deepest mind. Seeing as there was no use for them as he was a weak, quirkless waste of space.

He was going to raise his leg above the fence to let him get beyond it before a voice startled him.

"Where are your parents, Kid?"

1