Chapter 10
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night of the first full moon of the year was the annual day that people would entreat deities to give them blessings. From commoners to people who used Ki all yearned for them to be given power to rise in this unrelenting and brutal world that valued strength over all else. The Ki would be unnaturally thick everywhere, but in particular where the academy was located had an unusually high density of Ki. This allowed for the young outer court disciples to commune more closely with the deities they desired to join.

Thousands of amateur cultivators gathered at the Phoenix academy. Even other sects throughout the empire would send their best and brightest here during this time to increase their chances they would have. The Elders made this a huge event for it decided who would stay in the outer court or move up into the inner court which would have an enormous impact on the politics of Kuro as nobles would try and secure loyalties of powerful new disciples.

The moon would rise until it hit its zenith and then a brilliant light would pour down from it and the stars lighting up the various shrines of all sorts of deities. It was the moment after this occurred that mass chaos would ensue as thousands upon thousands of disciples would scatter around the forest of Shrines.

Seito Mei stood by wandering and observing where many of them went. As usual the more popular deities were filled to the brim of people doing various prayers and rituals. After some time passed Mei came across the top of her list. Bishamonten, goddess of war.

Looking at the crowded shrine, Mei's heart was content. She had clearly chosen a popular deity with many people so it was a positive sign to start off. Quickly getting into position she crossed her legs one over the other and began to chant the prayer inscribed on the shrine dedicated to Bishamonten.

“Goddess of war, Bishamonten maiden of battle, conqueror of Nai’pen, the winged lion of conflict, hear this servant's plea and grant me your blessing to join your familia.” Mei prayed earnestly as familia were those who were commonly blessed by the deity often joining a so-called adopted family. This would allow Mei to finally find someplace that didn’t reject her outright due to her eyes.

A small glimmer of hope in finding a family after eight long years as an outer court disciple would finally become true.

“I see you child.” a mature woman’s voice called out to Mei, but it appeared as if only she could hear it. “I am the goddess Bishamonten and I will now assess your request.” The voice was calm and exuded ferocity even when speaking calmly. The noise in her head was a new phenomena and so Mei flinched as she heard the voice.

Suddenly a force put an immense pressure on her body as if gravity had increased by several times the weight on her shoulders caused her to feel as if she would suddenly collapse onto her back, but it still didn’t put any strain on her actual muscles. As swiftly as the pressure came it rescinded.

Silence after only three seconds which seemed like an eternity Mei’s heart beat seemed to slow down.

“Child, I do not accept you into my familia I believe you would not be suited to the blessing I would give to you. Leave now and allow me to attend to others at my shrine.”

Mei’s heart fell like a rock as she heard those words. While it wasn’t uncommon to be rejected it still stung her pride slightly. Remembering the next deity on her list she quickly got up and left the shrine of Bishamonten.

Walking swiftly she came to her second choice which was Xarasil one of the more popular gods of fire in the empire. Xarasil was widely considered one of the top gods in the Imperial pantheon.

As she approached his shrine Mei couldn’t help, but imagine herself conjuring flames with her Ki, sending fear into her foes as she walked through the flames leaving not a single scorch mark on her body. The thought caused her eyes to shimmer in anticipation, she was seriously glad she had read up on the deities she had seen in the tome before today. If she was going to go with a god of fire she wanted the real deal not some lesser fire god. Minor deities would often take advantage of unknowledgeable ignorant commoner children who were accepted into the academy or other sects to gain followers who normally would choose them as a second hand me down option.

Standing in front of the shrine which had a flame lit with no fuel in the brazer she read the name and prayer out on Xarasil’s shrine which was equally full of students as Bishamonten with over thirty disciples all meditating and chanting. As she was about to get into position one of the male disciples combust into flames his body looked like a black silhouette within, but was neither screaming or harmed by the flames themselves. Mei understood what was happening; he had been accepted by Xarasit and we were blessed by his holy flames.

Fire wisped off his body as he smiled contently, his clothes did not burn and his Ki began to change in nature. Everyone around could feel it as he sat there.

Mei, not wanting to waste anymore time, closed her eyes and began to beseech the fire god Xarasil. “Great fire god Xarasi—”

“No!” Mei’s eyes snapped open as she heard a voice that sounded like a raging inferno “you are not one I will accept. Be gone child!”

Mei was still dazed; she was rejected before even finishing her prayer... What the hell was that! Mei stormed away from the fire god's shrine, her feet pounding the ground hard as she went to the next shrine on her list. She felt very much slighted by the rudeness the god treated her heartfelt prayer, her lips pursed as she thought about how angry she was at the whole situation. Rejected by two of the major gods on her list, but she still had hopes for some of the others on her list.

2