Chapter 17
33 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cui Xinya stood up before two disciples who were kowtowing to her asking her if she would take them as her first students.

Yawning, she looked down at the mediocre talents "fight each other" she said, stretching a look of disinterest on her face as she looked at her nails.

Both of them looked at the elder with a little confusion "Sorry Elder Xinya you said to fight?" they both said in unison.

"Yes, show me you are worth the effort." Cui Xinya said in a bored tone. This was the intelligence of these kids and they came to me expecting what exactly?

The two boys glanced at each other before leaping in opposite directions the first one muttered a quick prayer to his deity which was a minor river god. Condensing his ki he let loose a single ball of energy that had changed to take on the characteristics of his gods blessing his attack becoming a stream of pressuMeid water. The stream shot past the other disciples' head cutting a few strands of hair from his head.

As quickly as the fight began a ring of onlookers formed as well including a few elders.

The other disciple leapt up into the air giving his deity a prayer as well before his muscles seemed to engorge themselves, his arms becoming twice their size. His god was Baul the god of labor so it was slightly surprising that he had already understood exactly what his god's blessing would do to him. It wasn't uncommon for disciples to immediately have innate knowledge that went more on an instinctual level once blessed by their deity. This wasn't something that all disciples could do however and I proved their innate talent was at least of the first layer of blessed stage.

Cui Xinya was mildly impressed that the two were already this skilled with their deity; they didn't have reason to think that they wouldn't be worth tutelage under any other master, but Xinya had higher standards than this. They are…predictable. So unfortunate. When your ki changed you had innate knowledge of some of its functions ingrained on your soul. So it wasn’t that impressive that they could use their abilities quickly. Most students who were capable of becoming inner court disciples could do this even if it was above average for most Ki users who received a blessing.

The other student descended his fist colliding with the ground leaving a small fist imprint into the ground missing the other students by no more than a meter, as he used his fluid like movements to dodge around him to strike him from behind as he was in his crouched position. The other muscle headed student sneered as he lifted his body into the air twisting around. He sent his heel into the other students ribs with a sickening crack.

“Wooh! A spinning back kick to the ribs!” several onlookers shouted out in excitement.

The first disciple's eyes widened as he was sent flying into a tree, his slumped against the tree spitting out a mouthful of blood. The impact caused the surrounding onlookers to winch for the second disciple. Years of Ki training in outer courts made the average disciple very durable, but not invulnerable.

The second disciple rose up smiling, bowing before his opponent before turning to who he thought would be his new master.

"Master Cui Xinya" he said, bowing "I hope that was satisfactory for you."

Xinya looked at the student lazily "ehh mediocre" the words fell like a hammer on the second disciple.

All the onlookers stood with their mouths agape. “Mediocre? The kid's raw power wasn’t to be looked down upon.” several people discussed amongst themselves.

“Yeah no kidding and Elder Xinya wasn’t fazed!”

“Just how high are her standards?”

“Pfft! Too high! Who does she think she is? Haven’t you heard she hasn’t taken a disciple since she became an Elder!” one voice scoffed.

“I’d have standards also, if I was the youngest Elder in Phoenix academy history.”

Meanwhile the disciple who had won own face looked like it had been slapped by his lover, his face became red from embracement "bu-- but master! I clearly won that altercation and showed my raw strength!"

Cui Xinya sighed and looked at him slightly annoyed as she lifted herself to sit up properly in her chair that she had been slouching on. "Really? You think this was an impressive display?” a dangerous glint flashed in her eyes. “You were sloppy and had your opponent been any other person you would have been killed in real combat. You left your back open to that other student's attack. You were brash and thick-headed. Running into combat with no regard for your own safety. What exactly do you think the academy trains students? It isn’t for giggles or to show off to commoners! No, the reason is the empire needs people willing to fight for it. Not! Die for it.” Cui paused and a small smile flitted across her face as she rested her chin on her hand.

“Therefore I have no time for you. Many other Elder's would have gladly taken you, but you in your arrogance thought that you'd be able to become my first disciple? Step away and think about what I have said." Her tongue stabbed out words like daggers that hit the large student to his core.

The second disciple went over to his opponent as he helped him limp away, both of them their dreams crushed. Cui Xinya had little patience for inadequacy. If they had not learned these basics from the outer court then she couldn't waste her time with them.

Cui Xinya was irritated already and the evening still had a ways to go.

4