Dire News
57 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

She watches as her blood pours over the once-blue planet, staining the oceans and lands with crimson. This planet she once contributed to create is now the target of her wrath. Her golden eyes glare as something forms in a corner of the world, filling the woman with the utmost satisfaction. The lips' corners perk up, she faces the ones who managed this little sphere of a world until now.

"How does it feel to see the world you spent so much time nurturing, the life you brought to it, die in front of you, my dear Lys?" 

"...Is this all you want from me, Myra?" Lys, bound to the vermilion-blood floor of Myra's palace, spat, adverting her gaze from both the goddess and the planet.

"You are no fun, Lys. Have you forgotten what despair and fear feel like?" Myra brushes her long red hair back, then takes hold of the Light Goddess's cheeks, forcing her to look her in the eyes. "To answer your inquiry, no. I want to witness the loss of everything you created thus far: the wildlife, the civilization, and the magic you so carelessly gave away. I want you to feel what I felt when you imprisoned my people robbed them of the magic WE granted them... and when YOU chose to stab me in the back, discarding me as if I was nothing more than a tool." Myra lets go with a smirk. "After that, I will let my people abuse yours, drain them of their souls until only broken husks remain."

From her high position on the moon, a dot of red and black is visible. Myra's grin widens as she lands comfortably on her throne of crystallized blood. For the Goddess of Blood, this small dot is but a start, but for the people on Earth, the lucky ones at least, this is the biggest calamity to befall them.

***

Back on Earth, a woman gazes upon the calamity: A cyclone of several meters in diameter, and height of pure blood approaches the coastline at a frightening pace. The barrier that had kept the humans in place crumbled as the cyclone appeared. The woman takes a device from her long dark-gray coat, fastening it around her left ear. 

"This is Cera. Morgan, do you copy?"

"Yes, somewhat at least. How's the situation on your side?"

Cera pauses, glancing over the destroyed building, corpses, and the calamity. Her light-pink pupils reflected a hint of sadness and worry. "...Are the lines stable enough for a broadcast?"

"Somewhat, who are you targeting?"

"First to all of our members, and then to any working broadcast channel, radios. The whole thing."

"And done!"

Cera looks down, glaring spitefully at the hill of red creatures sprawling under her booted heels. She raises her head, takes a deep breath, and...

***

Bianca conjures an ice dome with her magic, keeping the creatures at bay while safeguarding Iliyana and the mistress. 

"That'll keep us safe for a while, use the time to catch your breath while I shoot them down." Bianca confidently announces, conjuring spikes at the top of her dome from the pouring blood rain.

"You really are a genius with magic, huh? How come I have not heard of you?" Iliyana thought out loud, catching the white-haired girl's attention. 

"I would rather not answer to that, for personal reasons."

"Fair enough, then." The gray-haired girl does not press, there is no reason to do so. She pushes her hood down while sitting, then the device on her ear starts buzzing. "Huh? The line is back up?" She says, surprised. 

"What line?" Bianca inquires, glancing over her shoulder questioningly. 

"I'll explain later, let's listen first." Iliyana removes the devices from her ear and presses a few buttons.

"To all the members of the Devine Fencer, this is Cera Mercedes speaking. I am bringing... bleak news. I suppose many of you observed the arrival of the red creatures. I ask that you forget about them and focus on rescuing civilians, there is a bigger menace on the horizon. A cyclone, possibly the biggest ever witnessed on Earth, has formed a few kilometers from the west coast. Judging from its size, it will decimate everything standing on the continent, I'll say it will strike in less than an hour. Wherever you are around the globe, I order you to bring as many civilians as you can to the nearest shelter and activate the maximum security settings. I, Cera Mercedes, authorize the use of Soul Force. Good luck to all of you." The red skins hit the outside of the dome, trying to break in. Under the noise made by their weapons against the ice, Bianca and Iliyana were at a complete loss of words.

Unfortunately, this is only the beginning of their worries. As the first transmission comes to an end, another buzz begins. "...This is— Another cyclone— Southern—continent..."

Then other similar broadcasts from every corner of the world. If the girls were worried before, now they are scared. Bianca's dome starts cracking as if to worsen the situation, and the girl falls on her knees out of exhaustion. Iliyana rushes to her side, "Are you okay?"

"Something is... happening to the mana..." The white-haired girl replies as she forces herself to stand, wiping the beads of sweat forming on her forehead. "...It's like everything... is drying up...!" The dome's walls keep cracking under the rampage of the red creatures' relentless assault. Bianca tries to gather mana in her hand, but just doing so is nearly impossible now. "...It's all... gone..." She declares dejectedly as her face darkens. There is no more mana anywhere near her.

"Do not worry, I'll deal with the attackers!" The swordswoman reassures the white-haired girl as she grasps her weapons. "Now that the restriction is gone, this should be a breeze."

Bianca glares at Iliyana questioningly. "...What are you planning to do? Fighting them without magic!? How will you fight against so many when you could barely stand against one!?" 

The swordswoman grins proudly as she finishes stretching her limbs. "Thanks for worrying, but it's my responsibility to protect the defenseless!" A faint gray aura outlines her body. "Give me a few minutes to get it done!"  

3