Plots, Ploys and Schemes IV
268 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dezmond Frost, the owner of the estate seemed to be more wealthy than the Lezhalt family. His mansion was larger, being three stories high and attached on the right side was a stable which kept his own private horses.

From the gate to the door, his property was full of guards on patrol. There were many guests here, each one a noble that carried a great deal of weight. If they were not on their toes tonight, then they would be out of a job before the sun rose.

At the entrance stood a man donned in full armor, even his head was covered. Yet, from the way he was dressed, Jacob could see that he was a knight.

The knight said nothing, merely opened the glass door for Jacob and Teressa to enter. They already showed the guards at the gate their invite.

Jacob was somewhat nervous, but he did not let that show. He kept a smile on his face and walked with Teressa, one step at a time.

Classical music was playing in the background, soothing to his ear. Paying it closer attention, he found that it was one of the tracks for the game, 'A Bleeding Heart'. It was a minor detail, but something that reminded him of how similar this world is to the one he helped create.

Unlike what tv shows and movies portrayed when a person entered a room with notable characters, the attention was not on Jacob. In fact, he doubted anyone noticed his arrival.

Various nobles whose names he did not know were busy holding glasses of wine in their hands conversing with those around them. It was as if they were in their own cliques, maintaining distance away from the others.

Lord Frost's mansion was different from Jacob's, it had more style. The main floor was large enough to fit six round tables covered with a light blue cloth. On top of the table were plates, candles, napkins, and silverware.

Further back, there was a long table that held bottles of wine, and trays of food. Next to it was three large barrels, two stacked on top of each other, while the other was standing next to them.

Alcohol, wine, food, and good music. Not to mention the way the room was pure white, but all the paintings and decor seemed to bring the room to life.

"Lord Lezhalt! A pleasure it is to finally see you again!"

A man whom Jacob did not recognize appeared from the side with his arms outstretched, his left hand holding an empty bottle of wine. As he made his way towards Jacob, one of the butlers that were passing by held a tray carrying empty plates and dirty glasses. He set his glass on the tray and continued to walk as if the entire motion was normal.

Short black hair, with a clean mustache. Nothing too outstanding about him, or the way he dressed. He wore a dark blue suit that fit him just right.

Jacob's seen that smile before, many times. One that was put on just for courtesy but truly meant nothing.

"Who is this lovely lady?"

He asked as he spotted Teressa, dressed in a lovely velvet dress with frills. Refitted just for her, the sleeveless dress showed off her long cream-colored arms that were moderately toned. Not too bulky, but not entirely slim either. Over her left breast was a rose pattern that had a jewel embedded in the middle. The light reflected off the jewel making it seem as if the rose itself was alive and blooming.

Jacob was uncertain who was better, Teressa or Diana. The dress was fit for a princess, it was impossible for a person to look ugly when wearing it. He never saw Diana in the dress, but he was confident she'd wear it brilliantly.

It might have been better on Teressa, due to her having a more voluptuous figure. It was not over the top but definitely caused people to look in her direction more than once.

"This is Teressa."

Jacob responded, his blue eyes looked past the man in front of him towards someone else. He spotted Sterling standing next to some men laughing.

With an elegant motion, he moved his hand reaching out to grab Teressa's right hand. Slowly he lifted it up and gave the back of her hand a kiss.

"A pleasure to meet you, my lady, I am Dezmond Frost."

Teressa was slightly flustered by his behavior, not expecting to be greeted that way at all. It was old fashioned, none of the nobles she encountered did it.

She's been to many gatherings before, but this was the first time she experienced this. As soon as Dezmond lowered her hand, she quickly withdrew it back to her side.

He did not seem too bothered by her reaction, instead, his blue eyes locked onto Jacob.

"I must say, I did not expect you to bring an acquaintance."

Dezmond drew Jacob's attention, he never imagined the man would look so young. He had to be in his fifties yet appeared to be in his early thirties.

Jacob simply smiled but did not say anything.

"However, you must know how this would look right? A young unwed noble arriving here with a young woman, when he is already engaged to a fair maiden."

Dezmond turned to Teressa with a faint smile.

"Would you give us a moment."

From the corner of her eye, she saw Jacob's slight nod and removed herself from their presence. Still, she kept her eye on the two of them, watching as they moved from one side of the hall to the other.

Teressa tried to stay focused on Jacob, but a few minutes after she left his side noble figures appeared in front of her. Blocking her view, causing her to lose track of the two.

They were all fairly young men, some slightly older. Each greeting her, asking for her name.

She remembered why she disliked these types of events. Men flocked to her side to tell her all about their status, how their family was fairing, all in hopes of drawing her attention.

"She's with me."

A deep voice rang out, as a hand wrapped itself around her slim waist.

The voice was familiar to her, she looked and saw a man larger than herself with bronze-colored skin and a face full of wrinkles.

Seeing the older man appear, the other nobles clicked their tongue but withdrew once the man glared at them.

Removing his hand, he smiled at her.

"How have you been Teressa?"

She was not expecting to run into him here. She wondered what he was doing here as well.

"Hello, headmaster."

Greeting him with a slight bow, she looked up at him.

It was the headmaster of the knight's academy she attended. The same man who suggested she give her knight's vow to him.

"What brings you to this event? You were never one to take interest in other noble's affairs."

"Time's change and lord Frost has a deep connection with my family. It is only natural I attend an event he hosts."

Leaning over a little, the headmaster brought his face closer to Teressa's.

"Call me lord Kurtwell, I am no longer your headmaster."

"As you wish."

Lord Kurtwell smiled, standing back up straight he took a sip of his red wine.

She was cautious of him and knew there had to be more behind what he was telling her. Appearing here all of a sudden could not be a coincidence.

Teressa was asked to give her vow to him, but she declined his offer. While she was interested in regaining her family's status, she also knew that her father was thinking up a way to do it.

Being a noble or commoner did not matter to her much anymore. She was born as a noble, but she is living as a commoner now. Seeing how both sides live, Teressa saw there was not much of a difference. The only major problem was that nobles used their authority to their advantage.

Not all of them did that, but a large majority did. They controlled the fates of the common folk, forcing them to live a hard life. Making sure that they would not rise in power.

What they feared the most was everyone having an equal status, because when everyone was equal they would no longer hold the power.

"Be careful Teressa."

Lord Kurtwell said as he started to walk away.

He liked Teressa, which is why he helped her out. She was pure and stayed true to her heart even when given an offer that was hard to refuse.

While he did not know why she was here, he wished she was not.

From the corner of his eye, he spotted Baron Cecil talking to other nobles. Most kissing his ass in hopes of gaining favor with him. But, the Baron was a cunning man. Whatever he wanted, he took it.

This gathering was more than what it seemed to be on the surface.

Each and every one of these nobles was plotting something, be it big or small. Alliances were being made at this very moment, while others were being broken.

One could easily see who allied with each other by the people they hung around.

All the factions had their own leader, and each one had their own goal. He just wondered what Jacob's would be.

6