Plots, Ploys and Schemes VIII
251 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After all the guests left his estate, lord Frost waited until a man came to him with a knight. The man was a companion of his, someone you could call his long time friend. Also one of the first people to see Jacob with Baron Cecil's body. The same man he whispered to go get his knight and order his guards to stand by in case they needed to take action.

As for the knight, he was a brutish man with messy black hair that went along with his black eyes as dark as the abyss.

"Borris, I take it all the nobles have left or are leaving? No one is left on the premise right?"

Lord Frost asked the knight named Borris who stood tall at attention with his arms behind his back.

"All accounted for. Should I tell the guards to stand down? I doubt anyone will cause a scene while they are in the middle of leaving."

Borris watched all the nobles get into their carriages and leave through the front gate. It was not until the majority of them were gone did he come here to greet his liege.

"No, there is still the issue of Baron Cecil left to deal with."

Lord Frost said to Borris before he turned his gaze towards the noble by his side.

"Thank you, Eric, you've been a wonderful help but you should take your leave now."

Eric Stratford, a noble whose family had a rocky background but was rising in power relatively quickly. If it was not due to him, lord Frost's sight would have been narrow. Lord Stratford was a visionary, someone whom lord Frost wanted to keep by his side.

Both men met when they were young, as they attended the same academy. At that time, lord Frost wanted nothing more than to live up to his father's expectations and not ruin his family's name.

Lord Stratford nodded and left the two men alone.

He did not understand what was going on, but if lord Frost wanted him to know, then he would. Although this matter involved the Baron, he was only that. A Baron.

Just a noble with a small piece of land. Any noble could become a Baron as long as their family achieved some sort of feat that was worth rewarding, but the only downside was that it cost.

That was one of the differences between the Baron and the other nobles situated here in the capital.

"I need you to deliver the Baron's body to his home. If anyone asks what happened to him, say it's being investigated. If they ask by whom, just tell them lord Kent is dealing with it."

Borris nodded in understanding.

"What about the other matter you had me look into?"

"Which one?"

Lord Frost asked him as he told Borris to check on a few different things. Among them one involved Jacob.

"The rebels."

"Ah yes, what did you find out? Did you make contact?"

"I did… it was harder because they are so slippery. However, the person I spoke with informed me to tell you that if you wanted to make any sort of agreement you needed to meet them in person. Out of respect. He gave me this letter."

Borris reached into his leather pouch that hung by his belt and pulled out a folded envelope. There was a black seal on it that kept the envelope closed.

Lord Frost grabbed it while clicking his tongue in dissatisfaction.

This was not something he wanted to do. He'd much rather do everything from his home, and meeting the rebels would have to take place away from here. Preferably outside of the city.

His dealings with them needed to stay a secret. Else he'd find himself beheaded.

He read the contents of the letter before he set the paper on fire with his hands.

Borris was not surprised, he knew his liege was a mage. It was not a secret, and he never tried to hide the fact that he was one. If anyone who knew him did not know that, then that meant they were not someone lord Frost put in his eyes.

Lord Frost reached into his chest pocket as he pulled out a folded piece of paper.

"When you deliver Baron Cecil's body to his family, pass this to his eldest son. Be sure to be discrete about it, he'll know what to do."

Borris grabbed the piece of paper and put it into his leather pouch.

"Is that all?"

"Yes, that's all. This should take you four days' time to go there and come back. Make sure someone watches over lord Lezhalt while you are gone."

"Already taken care of."

Borris was ahead of his liege, he had already put someone in charge of watching over the young lord in case he had to leave.

With everything done here, lord Frost left Borris to his mission while he went upstairs. That is where his room was, along with his daughters.

He has not seen her so he knew she'd be in her room. It was the spot she always hung out in, if she were not training with a sword or eating.

Inside Angelia's room was a large bed, big enough to fit three grown men. There was a light blue transparent curtain going around her bed. Next to it was a longsword that was in its black sheath, and a suit of armor on a wooden mannequin.

The armor was slick, being similar to that of a knight but it was engraved with magic, meaning its defenses were harder to penetrate.

Angelia was not on her bed, she was seated at a large desk with a book open in front of her. That is where her attention was focused.

Hearing her door open, she moved her eyes gazing towards her father.

Besides the maids and butlers, it was just the two of them left in the building. Her brother was away serving in the army of a general. As for their mother, she was out trying to increase their relations with another noble family in a different city.

"What did you and the young lord talk about?"

"Things of the past, don't worry he knows nothing.

Angelia replied to her father, not telling him of what they said to each other. She would rather not talk to him about it.

Just like he was trying to make sure everything was going his way, and her fate was already decided. She too was making her own plans. One that did not involve him.

5