The Last of us IX
188 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack wore a rural cloth gray shirt along with loose-fitting black cloth pants. Around his waist was a brown rope that kept the pants from sliding down.

His hazel eye's focused on the brick wall in front of him. It looked as if he was dead; he was still like a statue.

A woman laid her head on his shoulders as she cuddled up next to him. Her hair was just as blonde as his was, and the sweet fragrance of her soap penetrated his nose. Her stature was small for her age, and one could detect how skinny she was from the size of her arms.

Jack's arm moved as he entangled his fingers in her soft hair. Slow, gentle strokes enabled him to caress her head, making her relax.

Beautiful as she was, Jack knew how uneasy she was. Even in this giant mansion where guards patrolled, and the knights protected them, she still could not rest easy at night.

His sister suffered greatly, and the mental wounds she had would not heal fast. She needed years, or maybe she may never recover. For him, that was painful. More painful than any cut or punch he's received. Recognizing that his only sister may never be happy again. Knowing she may never love another or have a family to call her own.

It cut him deep, understanding that he could not save her. What's done is done; there was no turning back the hands of time.

"I'm going to town tomorrow Luna, would you like me to grab you anything? I'm sure Audrey will have baked more of those stuffed apple pies you like."

Luna just nudged her head on his shoulder as she tried to find a better position.

Jack peeked at her as he finally saw her face for the second time tonight. Her eyes were closed, which was unusual for her considering she usually kept them open even when he was in the room.

It took her hours to fall asleep with him by her side. If he was not, Luna could not sleep. Was this a step in the right direction?

The thought instantly vanished from his mind when he saw her eyes open.

"No, I just want peace. Will the Lord of this place not forbid you from leaving?"

Her voice was soft-spoken and had a hint of concern in it.

Jack realized she was worried about him. After all, he was the only family she had here. If something happened to him, what would be her fate? She did not know Jacob. Luna did not see what he saw, nor did she know how accommodating Jacob was.

Jack shook his head.

"He's nothing like that. He is different from the other nobles we've been told about as children. Or even the ones we've seen before."

Jack replied to her with a pause.

"I'm not planning on leaving you. Not again."

Silence drifted in the room for a full minute as both brother and sister said nothing.

"Thank you."

Luna told him as Jack swore he saw her begin to crack a smile for the first time in years.

"I wonder what ma and pa are doing? You think they are alright?"

Luna asked as she shifted the topic to their parents.

Jack could not help but recall the moment before he left. The money he accumulated was enough for them to live off of for a few years without working themselves to the bone. His parents would have it better than the majority of others in their village.

His genuine concern was plagued with thoughts of the rebellion. If and when it came to pass, how would they fair? They had no protection, no weapons to defend themselves with. Their fates were left in the hands of Mother Nessa.

"Yeah, they are probably doing the same as us. In bed thinking about their two children. I just wish they came with us."

Jack replied as he felt something pull at his heart.

In the dark of the night, as Jack was spending time with his sister, Jacob was outside. He gazed up at the starry sky and watched the full moon—his thoughts all over the place, but nowhere at the same time.

"A beautiful night. Wish it would last forever."

An angelic voice vibrated in his ear. Angelia stood next to him wearing a dark blue dress that lacked any extravagant features. It was simple yet exquisite at the same time. Usually, the clothes make the person wearing them look better, but Angelia seemed to have the opposite effect.

Jacob noticed her presence long ago; he just said nothing. There was no intent to harm him, and he felt an inkling of understanding about her personality. She was doing what she felt was right in order to stop her father from tossing the world upside down.

The goal she had was comparable to his own, and in these last few weeks of interacting with her, he came to appreciate her actions. Not everyone was a brave soul, nor did they have pure intentions.

"Yeah, if only nights like these could last. Sadly we are living in a vicious world that is filled with pain and suffering. The reality is that these nights aren't beautiful. They are hiding the hideous truth."

"That's some way to see things. If all you ever see is the pain, when do you find time for happiness?"

Angelia asked.

Jacob turned towards her.

Time seemed to turn back for him. He was happy at a point. Jacob had everything he wanted, but it all disappeared in an instant.

"Being happy and comforting yourself in love is a luxury.  It's easy to be happy when you do not see the reality of this world. Once you see that the shadows of the night always follow the light, you'll never perceive life the same again. So no, I do not have time to be happy because that would mean unseeing what I've already seen."

Angelia mulled over his words, comprehending what he was trying to say. They seemed deep, more profound than anything she's heard.

"This must come from being able to live the life of two separate lives. I cannot understand you; I do not believe anyone can."

Jacob grinned slightly.

As he turned his attention back towards the starry sky, he caught sight of something. It looked tiny from where he was standing, but from the bright light it was emitting, he doubted it.

With a deafening boom, the entire capital rocked. An endless chain of explosions transpired in a violent tune, startling the whole city to their feet.

"No."

Jacob muttered to himself as he saw the smoke rise from the streets and the citizens rush out of their homes.

"No."

He said once more as his heart thumped.

Matthew, Amber, Teressa, and Jack all rushed out of the estate. The lights behind him flicked on, telling him that the others inside were awake.

In the sky, the radiant light was inching closer and closer until everyone could make out what it was. A flaming rock twice the size of a boulder.

'This is too soon! Why is this happening now?'

Jacob asked himself as he was confused. An event that was supposed to occur weeks after the Grand Assembly was happening right now.

He wasn't fully prepared.

No one was.

2