A Fractured Empire XI
101 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jacob was shook by the slap to the face. His cheek stung even after her hand left his face. Jacob could only rub the left cheek she hit to try to soothe the pain.

What are we doing this for? Jacob almosted wanted to yell at Angelia and inform her of all the terrible wars that would come if the rebels took down Chamg-li, the capital city. The generals would forgo their posts and the civilians would suffer.

If this city fell, all hope would be lost in the eyes of the people.

Jacob was carrying this secret, but how was he supposed to tell anyone about it? They would look at him like he was crazy and ask him to explain himself. How was he to do that, without actually sounding insane?

Yet, Jacob did listen to her words. She had all the right to be upset with him. All his boasting, and ideas for this better future. What did he have to show for it? He was a cleric with barely any skills to show off his mastery of the class.

His traits were some of the best a person could obtain, yet he was still weak. He lacked all the materials and equipment a gamer would have at this level.

In truth, he was weak. Out of all his compaionions, out of everyone that followed him. He would rank just above Jack. Even then, with how much Jack trained and spent with Matthew, we're they even on the same level anymore?

Fighting Ian made Jacob realize something.

"Why can't you answer me?"

Angelina questioned Jacob as she stood in front of him with her arms crossed.

"You know it to be true, I should have listened to my heart. Instead I believed in you, because from what I saw in my dreams... You stood above them all. I should have known better. That was just one path you can take, I failed to see the others."

Angelina told Jacob.

Jacob knew she was a Mystic, she told him that a long time ago. If her vision of him was the main reason she followed him, then that would explain her current behavior.

She did not truly understand him, so she was following him blindly.

"I never said this was going to be easy, but what in life ever is? If you want instant results look somewhere else, but if you want to achieve something then continue to follow me. I won't tell you that you are wrong. I overestimated my abilities and underestimated the strength of the rebels."

Jacob sighed as he thought about Mikhal. The man that was spearheading this entire rebellion. Just how powerful was he, if Ian almost beat the three of them by himself?

"However, you have a point. My plan was to save this city and the people that lived in it. Without this place, without the emperor as a figurehead... Everything in this world will go into chaos."

Jacob stared Angelia in her eyes.

"No one will be able to control the ambition of man. Countless individuals will be looking to make a name for themselves. Seeking to be the one to unite this place. That means war, with lots of blood to be spilled. And how long do you think that will last?"

Jacob asked Angelia.

Angelina did not speak, she just let Jacob continue on.

"Before the Valorian Empire, this land was ruled by no one. There were no kings, no real leaders. The law you see today did not exist. So you ask me why I'm doing this, it is so that we do not have to live in that time."

Matthew slowly rose to his feet.

"As noble as that is, I have to side with her on this. I'm not as young as I used to be, and even if I were, I doubt we could survive through this. If Ian is any indication of this army's true strength, we are outmatched. We'd need a miracle."

Matthew wiped the blood from the side of his mouth.

"I made an oath and ill see it done. Whether we stay or leave, but no plan is complete in a day. We can lose the capital, but there can always be another one. If you truly seek to make a change, then do it. But don't be foolish trying to stop the inevitable."

Jacob gritted his teeth.

What's meant to happen, always happens. He was told that before, but Jacob never took that saying to heart. The capital is supposed to fall, this world is supposed to be chaotic. It was the way they designed it, so that the players could shape it.

Jacob was trying to go against the flow, when he could have been much better off if he went with it.

"Maybe if we had an army, but we don't. Even with Dauntless helping, our numbers do not match theirs. We will be overpowered sooner or later."

Angelina said.

Jacob sighed once more.

If only he could have reached Veronica or Albert. The situation here would be much different.

"Gather everyone, tell them we are going to the west gate. We will rally at the temple before we set off. There is no reason to stick around if everyone believes we are doomed."

Matthew smiled.

"This is not the end you know? In times like these, it is ok to retreat and build up your forces. No one will shame you for it. In fact, many would have too much pride to leave and end up dying a dogs death. No one remembers the loser, they only praise the victor."

Jacob nodded.

He turned his gaze towards Angelia.

"Are you going to stick around?"

After what she said, Jacob was still on the fence about this. Her strength would definitely be helpful and her connections.

If he was going to start over, be might as well use everything he had and knew.

"I'll stick around for now. At least until we are out of this town. From there, it'll depend on what you show me."

Jacob could understand where she was coming from. If he were in her shoes, he would have left him a while ago.

Jacob could not promise her anything, but he did not plan on having anyone losing faith in his abilites.

It would suck to leave this place with how much he invested into those peoples shops for his future plan. Yet, that money lost was not really his in the first place.

"I understand. When you recover enough energy, inform the others of the new plan. No one is coming to save this place, and we can't do it alone."

5