The choices we make V
615 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Training under Renold was difficult, no two days were the same. He found different ways to instill combat techniques into Jacob's body. That way even if he did not remember what to do, his body would.

Renold was a better teacher, at least that is what Jacob felt. Under his guidance, a day's work netted him eight hundred experience points. Two hundred more and it would be double that of what he gained from Oswald.

While his proficiency in one-handed weapons was still growing slowly, Jacob learned more than just swinging his weapon. There was more to it than that. Weapon proficiency may determine the amount of damage, and speed of the weapon however, it does not teach you stances or styles. You did not know what your weapon was made of, the height or weight.

Having a high mastery in one-handed proficiency meant you could deal the maximum amount of damage your weapon allowed, and reach speeds others could not. One might think that is all you needed, sadly they were mistaken.

In Pathfinder the game, your character need not know those things. But once again this world is similar, but Jacob was not a game character. He needed to know the weapon of his choice like the back of his hand.

He spent four days training under Renold, but there was still much he had to learn.

Today, Renold gave him off.

Jacob felt a bid saddened as his precious experience points flew away. Working his body hard every day was not a good thing, it needed time to rest and rebuild itself. Even with Rolf giving him food that made him feel refreshed it would not have the same effect as resting oneself.

In the estate, there was not much to do. Not much really happened, and Jacob knew that from the time he spent here.

Without working his body until exhaustion he knew today would be a long day.

"Not working today?"

Diana's voice entered his ear.

Turning his head to look behind him, he spotted her in a white long white floral dress and heels. Her long black hair flowed down her back like a waterfall. She was dressed up, a first for Jacob to see her like this.

She was pretty, an eight out of ten if he compared her to the women in his past life.

"No, I was given today off. What about you, why are you dressed up?"

With her attire, Jacob would suspect she was a noble if he did not know better.

"Taking the day off as well. I have a few errands to run, but wanted to treat myself while I was out."

As her sentence ended, there was an awkward silence between the two.

Jacob's mind recalled that scene that happened on his second day here. Diana embracing him and her soft-spoken voice.

"Why don't I tag along. After all, you did say I could go into the city with you."

After picturing that moment, Jacob spoke.

The silence lasted only a brief moment, before he replied back to her.

Diana nodded.

"Just do not… nevermind."

Diana wanted to tell Jacob something, but she could not bring herself to. He saved her, she would be forever indebted to him. For that reason alone she decided she would not speak ill of him.

That still did not stop the thoughts in her head from appearing.

"Our first stop is Volienteen."

Jacob has never heard of that place before, but there were a few places he probably has never heard of.

The weaponsmith, the armorsmith, the inn, goods merchant, spell shop and horse merchant. Those were the main places you would find players in Pathfinder.

Although she could tell he had no clue what she was talking about, she walked towards the door. It was better for him to see for himself, instead of explaining.

The life he lived before and the life she would show him would be like night and day.

She saved up a bit of money, enough to show off a bit. Diana wanted to show Jacob how the other side lived compared to what he has experienced before.

Jacob followed right behind her.

It was his first time out since he has arrived here to live as the lord's double. The city had a lot to offer, and Jacob would only begin to see its charm.

The two walked out of the gate and turned right down a long street. People were out and about, with a set destination in mind. They barely stopped to talk to someone on the street.

Across from the mansion were large houses made of brick. They were not nearly as wide as the estate, but a quarter of its size. Each house was clean on the outside with a small yard out front.

The current section they were in were for the rich citizens. It was easy to tell by the way they dressed. Long expensive looking dress' or custom-tailored suits.

Compared to when he first arrived and was surprised by the sight, Jacob felt the slight differences. On the entire street, he's seen three patrols pass by. While they were not knights, they were city guards.

Each one of them wore heavy armor while they rode on a horse. The patrols were made up of three to four city guards, each one capable of taking out two or three crooks by themselves.

There were also no slaves being escorted around.

Diana and Jacob traveled quite a distance before they reached a medium-sized store that was positioned at the corner. Through the large windows, Jacob could see mannequins dressed up in various dresses. Some wore nothing but had colored silk hanging over their shoulders.

Above the store was a sign that read Volieteen.

Diana walked inside and as she pushed open the door Jacob could hear the sound of a bell. This allowed the owner or an employee to quickly take notice of a customer.

Right behind her, he followed. His feet stepped on the white tiles while he could not help but take notice of the large chandelier hanging down.

It smelt oddly refreshing inside the building almost as if spring has just arrived.

Jacob's eyes wandered from shelf to shelf, from mannequin to mannequin. Dress shoes made out of leather, expensive heels that sparkled with diamonds and even different Sunday hats.

This place had it all if one wanted others to know how wealthy they were.

A short stout man appeared wearing a black and white tux. On his head was a tall hat, while a monocle sat over his left eye.

Jacob giggled to himself as the short stout man had a curly mustache, and he could already tell Becca designed this guy. She was a young developer with high prospects, except she always created funny looking characters.

He could vividly remember her telling him that it was not how the character looks, but acts. She designed them so that they would look a certain part, but each of them was greedy in their own right.

If one gave them a chance to negotiate, you could be sure that they would end up profiting more than the other guy.

His short arms stretched out wide as a charming smile appeared on his face.

"Ah, Diana, how nice it is to see you. How have you been?"

Even the way he talked had a captivating charm to it.

"I've been well Sterling. I take it you received my order?"

Jacob's eye started twitching as he heard Diana respond. She spoke fluently but sounded highly intelligent. She was acting a part and playing it well.

"Yes, yes. Come this way, this has to be my finest creation yet."

Sterling led them to a mannequin that wore a velvet dress with frills on it. On the left, there was a small rose pattern with a jewel in the middle. The dress itself was fit for a princess, not something Jacob could see Diana affording.

He was not sure how much she made, but he would bet his right toe she could never afford this.

"Check it out for yourself and let me know your honest opinion."

Diana touched the fine silk dress as she continued to nod her head in approval.

"It's marvelous!"

Sterling smiled as Jacob noticed him rubbing his hands together. Knowing that he would make a large profit from this sale.

"Good! I can pack it up for you right away, are you paying with cash or…?"

Sterling stopped mid-sentence as his gaze focused on Jacob.

"Credit. Bill it to lord Lezhalt, he'll see to it that you are paid in full."

Sterling nodded at Diana's words but turned his attention to Jacob.

"I thought that was your noble self! It has been ages, how are you fairly my lord?"

Jacob's eyes wandered to Diana who mouthed 'Go with it' to him.

'Fuck me right? Caught up in the middle of another scheme!'

"Not well. I am just starting to come back to my former self. I must ask you, Sterling, are you coming to my gathering? My fifteenth birthday is coming up, and I'm in dire need of something to match the occasion."

Sterling eyes beamed.

The dress alone cost him one thousand silver to make, and he was selling it to Diana for two thousand five hundred. It was well worth it, and now he was being asked to make another outfit.

Was it his lucky day or what? This was the biggest haul of the month!

"I have just what you need my lord!"

Sterling walked over to the right side of the store and stood before a male mannequin that was wearing a pure white suit. The cuffs were made of beautiful sapphire stones.

"I was commissioned to make this a while back for duke Livingston, but he died and I never received payment. Now it just sits here on display. If you want my lord, I can tailor it to fit your size. Duke Livingston was rich, he wanted this to be enchanted with elemental sapphires. With the two sapphires, you can cast a barrier on yourself once a week."

"How much is it?"

"For you my lord, I'll sell it for eight thousand silver. This is a hefty discount as I am taking into account your birthday."

Jacob looked over at Diana.

"How much for hers?"

"Two thousand five hundred."

"I can do nine thousand max for both. What do you say?"

Sterling hesitated but agreed. At the end of the day, he was still making over five thousand in profit.

"Good, I shall have the money sent to you at the end of the month. How do you want to be paid, minerals or silver? I even have golden silk from the Bashiran."

"Gold silk."

Sterling heard the Lezhalt family was rich, but he never imagined they would have golden silk from the Bashiran. Gold was a royal color, hard to come by and even if you did get hold of one it was never the high-class stuff.

However, the Bashiran was a famous tailor in the Valorian empire.

Sterling knew he once worked for the Lezhalt family, but who would have thought they would sell something he created. The Bashrian was the one who found the perfect combination to create the most exquisite piece of golden silk one as ever seen.

It could easily sell for thousands, yet the lord was offering to part with it.

Sterling figured they must have a few in stock.

The thought never crossed his mind that Jacob was lying to him. Nobles never went back on their word. If they did not only would they be shunned their title would be stripped.

He packed up the dress for Diana and brought out a contract for Jacob.

"If you would sign here."

Jacob did not read a thing. He just put his john hancock on it and walked away.

The writing was fancy, and even Sterling found it to be a piece of art.

"What in Nessa's name were you thinking?"

Diana asked him once they were far enough from the store.

"What do you mean?"

"How are you going to pay for that?"

"The same way you are."

Diana shook her head.

"Don't worry about it, the lord will never find out. I signed my name, not his."

Diana was silent.

"Wait! You don't mean…"

Jacob laughed.

"Vulcan is Vulcan, while the lord is the lord. I'm sure Sterling will realize it at a later time the mistake he made."

11