Seven days Six nights I
612 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Renold held his head in his palm as he sighed. Brushing his shaggy auburn hair back, he looked up at the blonde-haired young man in front of him.

Jack was the young man's name, one that Renold would be sure to remember.

"There is always one. One that stirs up some shit for no good reason."

Renold clicked his tongue in annoyance.

While Jack did warn him of what Oswald was doing, he could not trust Jack fully. This was Lezhalt's life they were talking about here.

For all he knew Jack could be using this as a way to work his way to Lezhalt. Left alone he could take Lezhalt hostage.

Renold's blue eyes made their way over to Lezhalt who was in white silk pajamas. Lezhalt gave a slight nod.

"Do what you must."

Lezhalt said.

"You, come with me."

Renold got up and started to don his silver dented armor. Old as it may be it has saved his life more than he could count. Then he grabbed his trusty party, the silver short sword.

Jack has heard stories of Renold but has never seen him in action. Those stories were like tales of old, something which was passed down from the older generation to the young.

Seeing the warrior in the stories right before him made him feel excited. However, this was not the time to be amazed. He needed to stay focused.

"All the guards?"

Renold asked as he led Jack out of the door.

Jack nodded, it basically was all the guards except him.

"Yes, all."

"What about the maids and doctor?"

"I did not see Drake, the maids should be in their rooms here unharmed. I came here in a hurry so I might have missed Drake or he could have ended up like Rolf…"

It was never good to lack information about the enemy. He needed a clear understanding of who was on his side and who was an enemy. Not knowing about Drake was a variable.

He always felt something off about that guy, but doctors were hard to find these days. They had to take what was in front of them.

Still, Drake has been around for five years or so and has not caused a scene. Mostly stayed to himself.

Given the circumstances, Renold had to believe he was still alive and a part of Oswald's gang.

From what he remembered, Drake was a mage adept in healing magic. Not much of a problem if you considered fighting strength.

Glancing down from above, Renold saw Oswald along with fifteen guards fully armed. With all of them there in the main hall, it barely gave room for movement. He would have a hard time using the space to his advantage. While he might have it bad, his opponents were worse off. It would be difficult for them not to hit their comrades with the swings of their blades.

In hindsight, he would truly be fighting four to five at once.

"The other four must be guarding the entrances. Believing that Lezhalt would try to escape."

The less people here, the fewer people he would need to fight.

"What is the plan?"

Jack asked as he was beginning to worry. Oswald was down below carrying a massive axe in both his hands. Those eyes of his seemed to glow red with rage as a portion of his face was dyed red in blood.

"There's the little shit!"

Terry shouted while pointing towards Jack who was next to Renold.

"What plan? Just go down and fight."

"What about the secret tunnels used to escape? Don't you have an escape route planned in case something like this happens?"

Renold chuckled.

"You have been listening to too many stories. Only those with the rank of Marquess and above would have something like that built. The lord is only noble. He has some sway over the city, but no land to his name. You may also consider him a 'knight' if you want, but he could be given land if he asked for it. He just chooses not to carry the burden that comes with it."

"The only way he is escaping is through one of the exits. Meaning, we would have to fight them here."

Jack thought that Renold had everything planned out. The warrior he has heard tales of was just that, a warrior. He was not thinking ahead or had plans in place if something went wrong.

Renold walked down the stairs in a steady pace. His heart was beating fast but his mind was wondering if he had any regrets left? This could very well be the last night he lived. Having faith in ones skill was nice, but he knew that it was not something that fully determined the outcome of a fight.

On the battlefield, anything went. You could be fighting a new recruit getting ready to cut him down with your blade when a stray arrow could pierce your skull. No amount of skill could prepare you for that.

"Oswald, have you lost your damn mind? You honestly believe this ragtag group can beat me?"

Jack followed right behind Renold. He had no weapon and no clue where Jacob was.

He was still young and had a lot more adventures awaiting him. Jack steeled himself. If he were to fall here, he was taking someone with him.

Oswald snorted.

"You were always one to look down on me. I have always progressed in strength just like you. Although slower you were the one who was noticed and praised for your efforts. Even now, you sit on your ass all day doing nothing. You do not deserve the title of head guard, you bring shame to us all!"

"Why are you whining like some spoiled brat? You want the title? It is all yours."

Renold replied as he reached the last step on the stairs.

"Why would I take a mere title when I can have it all? You and Lezhalt can burn for all I can, I have other plans."

Oswald shouted.

Renold was silent.

He wanted to know what Oswald's plans were but doubted he would tell him. Oswald was not stupid, if he told Renold his plans then Renold would make sure they would fail.

Drawing his sword, Renold took the final step before he reached the ground.

Jack put up his fist.

No one said a word.

Jacob's small figure appeared from underneath the stairs. In hand a shield, sword, and mace.

With his eyes lowered, Oswald could feel his blood boil in rage. Jacob's appearance was a bit unexpected.

It definitely was not Lezhalt. Renold would never allow him to come down and join him in a fight.

His large hand reached for the short throwing axe that was holstered in his belt.

"You should have chosen me Vulcan."

In one swift motion, Oswald threw the short throwing axe at Jacob. Renold lunged forward with his sword aiming for the closet guard, and Jack clenched his fist tightly hoping to give someone the blow of their life.

11