Seven days Six nights III
553 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Too many things were going on for Jacob to follow.

Renold was surrounded but he continued his onslaught defending against Oswald's heavy strikes while somehow managing to find the opportunity to kill off the weaker guards.

Jack was roaring putting his all into his strikes as he fought two people he was just calling his comrade.

The maids were in a frenzy due to two guards attacking them, trying to stop them from leaving.

As for Jacob, his arms were heavy. His right hand that held the shield was numb, he could barely even feel it anymore due to him withstanding so many attacks. As for his left hand which wielded the bloody mace, it started to feel the weight of the mace. The small weapon that was light at first now felt as if it was thirty-five pounds.

Jacob could tell, his swings were slower than before and his form was sloppy.

He had to hold on, take down one more person. That was his goal, just one more.

He has done good taking down two guards by his lonesome. Taking another one down would mean fewer still standing. Meaning he could escape, or ease the burden on the others around him.

In front of him was another guard, with a shield and sword. Roaring, Jacob charged towards the man.

How did those famous people in history do it? Just how could they fight ten people by themselves and still have the strength to continue?

The training he has done so far started to show. If this was him from when he first arrived, he would have been dead already. That or insanely tired.

Now, he was not tired but everything just felt heavy.

Jacob's body was low with the small wooden shield out in front and mace at the ready. He put everything he had into his legs allowing him to fly forward.

His body crashed into the man knocking him over. He saw Jacob and how much progress he has made. Yet it never occurred to him that Jacob would improve even more in such a short amount of time.

That charge of his was enough to knock him over, a one hundred and seventy-pound man.

Jacob's body tumbled after the crash and he groaned.

'Move! Move dammit!'

Cursing, Jacob gritted his teeth as he gripped the mace and forced his body to get up from the ground. His shield was almost broken - due to all the attacks it blocked.

He wanted to forgo it, but kept it for now.

The guard he knocked over was beginning to get up. Jacob knew he had to move fast.

His small body sprung forward and swung the silver mace towards the guard. One swing and the guard dropped to the ground. The second swing and Jacob heard bone-shattering.

"Ahh!"

Jacob roared as he brought down the small silver mace with both hands. This was all his strength, the full force of what he was capable of.

The guard's head seemed to explode from the impact as brain matter went here and there. Blood flew up in the air and landed on Jacob's face as he was roaring.

Blood. It tasted horrible.

Scanning the area, the main hall was soaked in blood. He could barely see the white floor that the maids cleaned on a daily basis. Instead, corpses lay.

How many did Jack cut down? Jacob was not sure, he did not even see Jack anymore. He was too focused on his own opponent.

'Did he fall…?'

Jacob asked himself wondering where Jack was.

Around Renold were six, seven corpses. Add in the three Jacob took down, that was at least ten.

Oswald and two guards were still fighting Renold whose body was bruised and bloodied. A large cut went across his cheek, while his silver armor had deep cuts on it. Even his large arms were filled with cuts.

Even if he managed to win, he would lose a lot of blood.

"Renold!"

A loud and clear voice echoed in the hall. Jacob turned his head and saw the doctor, Drake.

He held the young lord in his arms with a dagger to his throat.

"Put down your sword, or Lezhalt dies!"

Drake threatened.

A drop of blood made its way down Lezhalt's throat.

Renold was breathing heavy, his face was ugly as he could not believe the despicable tactic Oswald used. Too much time was wasted on these guys allowing Drake to go to his lord.

"How did you even get up there?"

Holding his sword, Renold asked while he kept his eyes focused on the three in front of him.

"What do you mean? I have been up here since the beginning. Maybe if you had better perception you would have taken notice of the figure blending in with the shadows."

Drake replied.

Renold's angry eyes glared at Oswald. However, he dropped his bloody sword and stood still.

Oswald chuckled.

"How does it feel to be on the losing end?"

"Fuck you, you devious bastard."

"Just can't admit I'm better than you, even at the end."

Oswald raised his heavy axe up high.

"You know what you must do!"

Renold shouted.

No one knew what he meant by those words, but they knew everything was over with. With Renold dead, no one could protect Lezhalt from his fate.

This battle was a lot more bloody than they would have liked, but still the job was almost done.

The heavy axe came down, with blood splattering everywhere.

Jacob closed his eyes at the scene and gulped.

Lezhalt never had a brother, but Renold was someone he depended heavily on. He stood by his side for the longest time, cared for him and taught him what his father did not. Renold was the older brother Lezhalt never had.

His faith in him was unquestionable, believing that Renold could overcome anything.

Even though he heard what was going on, he still waited for Renold's return. Yet, a shadow crept into his room and took him, hostage, before he knew it.

His mind was shaken meaning he was unable to concentrate his mana and protect himself. He knew one spell, but if he used it the situation would have been different.

Mages were frail beings, without being calm they could never cast a spell.

Renold's last words repeated themselves in Lezhalt's head. He knew they were directed towards him.

All he did was close his eyes and concentrate on his finger. This was his only hope, the only thing left that could save him.

It was a simple spell but he was only a beginner. His mouth moved but no words came out.

"Finally that bastard is gone."

Oswald could now relax a bit.

Renold put up more of a fight than he thought. If Oswald was by himself, he knew he would lose.

All the stuff he said before turned out to be untrue. Renold was more powerful than he imagined. Oswald always pictured himself to be his equal, but while he was over here trying to surpass Renold. Renold left him behind in the dust.

Turning his attention to Jacob, Oswald grinned.

Yet, Jacob was not terrified. Instead, his face was full of shock as he looked over up towards Lezhalt.

Oswald took a moment to glance in Lezhalt's direction to see what was going on. Then he saw it, Drake had a hole through his chest while Lezhalt's slender finger had a small flame hovering above it.

"W-wizard? You are a wizard?"

Oswald asked in confusion.

Drake was one as well, but his skills were focused on support. With Lezhalt's abilities coming to light, it surely took Drake by surprise giving him no time to protect himself.

Lezhalt said nothing, he aimed his finger and a bolt of fire shot out piercing Oswald's skull.

Two more shots fired, killing off the other two guards.

Lezhalt's eyes looked dead. It was like he was a different person, or it could have been his true self all along.
One spell, one kill. That was how powerful mages were. All they needed was the ability to concentrate and recite a few words, then boom. You were dead.

Diana appeared from the corner along with a few other surviving maids. Clothing torn and bruises to show how much they struggled.

"My lord, thank Mother Nessa you are safe."

Diana could breathe a sigh of relief now that all the guards were dead.

They lost a few maids, but they could always be replaced.

Even Jacob could relax his body now that everything was over. Yet, a bolt of fire shot through Diana's heart.

Time seemed to stop for Jacob as he watched her body begin to fall. Memories flashed through his mind.

She was special, someone dear to him. Not a lover, but more like a person he had admiration for.

Following Diana's fall, the other maids soon followed.

When Jewlieah fell, Jacob lost it.

Everyone he made a connection with was dead.

Lezhalt's cold lifeless eyes fell upon Jacob.

"Tonight, Vulcan del Lezhalt dies."

Lezhalt's voice sounded detached of all life.

It was never in his plans for Renold to die. All he wanted was to escape this city and live his life without having to look over his shoulder.

Yet, when Renold died a sinister thought passed through his mind. The famed guard died while trying to protect his lord. In the end, he failed and everyone in the estate died, and that was the end of the Lezhalt family.

People in the city already knew the story of the tragic event that befell his parents. They would just assume this was the perpetrator finishing the job.

As for the real murderer, they too would think he died. After all, he and Jacob looked the same. No one would think much about it.

This was the best outcome, much better than his original scheme.

With everyone who knew of Jacob dead, no one could say there was someone who looked just like the Lezhalt in the estate. Pointing his finger at Jacob, Lezhalt fired a bolt of fire.

It had the speed of a bullet and pierced through whatever it touched.

The firebolt tore through Jacob's chest with ease. Jacob however, only stared at Lezhalt with mixed emotions.
Tonight was the end of his story. He doubted he would survive, but even if he did with everyone dead he could not seek help. If the shot did not kill him the blood loss will.

He had to admit, this was a scene he never saw coming. Lezhalt took the hand he was dealt and used it to win the game. His reward? A new start in life.

Lezhalt watched as Jacob's body fell to the ground. The power of his final shot was weaker than the others. A mage was limited by his mana pool, something that Lezhalt had a small amount of.

Once he saw Jacob fall, he knew that it still did the trick and killed him off.

Closing his eyes, a tear streamed down his cheek.

'Father… Mother… Once I am strong enough I will find out who was behind your death. However, I need to give up my name for a bit. Just wait a little longer. Please, that is all I ask.'

Turning his body, he went into the study heading straight for his desk.

He grabbed a letter, one that was sent to him a few days ago. It was his acceptance letter to Rainfall, the mage academy.

Opening the top drawer, Lezhalt snatched a small pouch filled with coin. Money and the letter, that was all he needed.

The night would cover him and the city was focused on the return of the Marshal.

Lezhalt stepped over all the corpses, looked back once then never again. His life as Vulcan del Lezhalt was over, before morning arrived he would be someone else.

As the door closed behind Lezhalt one of the corpses moved slightly.

9