Seven days Six nights XIV
512 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jacob sat with his legs crossed on top of the small bed inside the room within the temple. In his hand was the scripture that he could understand, but was having a difficult time putting the words into action.

Sensing the mana within his body was not difficult per se, but what he found to be a challenge was managing it. Mana was an invisible force that was contained within a being's body, and it happened to be located somewhere around the pit of his stomach.

What he had a hard time doing was moving the mana from his stomach region to another part of his body. Sometimes it moved very slowly but in large quantities, other times he found it to be very fast but carrying a little.

That was not what he wanted, instead he pictured the mana moving like a stream. Steady and smooth, but had enough water that it could be used for things, such as drinking or washing. The stream was neither small nor large, instead, it was in the middle.

It's been two days, but Jacob was slowly getting the feel of managing the mana within his body. Once he was confident, he would proceed to the next step which was converting the mana into an element such as fire, water, or earth. Once it was in elemental form he could finally chant the spell.

While it seemed like a long process, it happened relatively quickly inside a being's body. The longest part was chanting, everything else could happen in an instant.

Two knocks came from the door before a veiled woman appeared.

His blue eyes gazed at the woman as she walked into the room.

"How did it go?"

Jacob questioned her while he put the scripture down in his lap.

"The bishop did not listen, saying he has already contacted the archbishop. He has moved faster than you expected. Why not take this time to leave, when the other two return I shall send them after you?"

"This matter is not that simple, if it was I would have left already."

Jacob rubbed his hairless chin as he thought of what he should do next.

"I only see two choices, one you join the order or two you leave before you are forced to join."

"Or three, I do neither. The paths laid out in front of you does not always mean that is the only way to go. Instead of walking down the path others have created, you can create your own."

"Excuse me for saying this, but do you not think that is a foolish way of thinking?"

Leah asked him.

That was the only other option she could think of, but doubted anyone would dare take it. The temple might not have the greatest force on the land, but they had the most influence.

With a few words, a person could become the most wanted in the empire.

Wars between internal factions could be put to a stop if the pope spoke.

Some even thought that his power was above the emperor.

"Then what do you expect me to do? Hide and run? That is what you've been suggesting so far, hasn't it?"

Silence lingered in the room after Jacob asked Leah that question.

To her, he was a noble and hiding away somewhere safe would not be a bad idea. After all, he has been holed up in his estate for the past few years. Why could he not continue to do that?

As much as she wanted to say those words, she knew best not to. He was above her and if he so pleased he could cut her down.

"Considering he has already made contact with the archbishop, I say we have a day's time until his envoy is sent. Then two days travel before he arrives in the city, would mean we have three days total. That is not bad."

His words entered her mind, but Leah could not figure out what he meant. Three days was a short amount of time, yet the young noble boy in front of her did not seem too worried.

It made the nervous her begin to calm down slightly.

"Where does the bishop go when he needs peace?"

His question brought her back from her thoughts.

Now that he asked her that, she realized she did not really know. The bishop always seemed to be around but never resting. Surely he needed to rest, everyone did.

Thinking hard about it, Leah recalled that one time he went to a room on the first floor. It was not until six hours had passed did the bishop return.

Yet, Leah never knew what was behind it. She thought nothing of it at that time, but now she began to wonder.

"I do not know, I have never seen him take a second off. This is something you would have to find out for yourself."

Jacob shrugged.

"So be it then. The least you can tell me is tell me where you keep the scriptures."

"What happened to you showing me your power? My role in all of this was just to delay the messag-"

"Something you failed to do."

Jacob interrupted her sentence.

"To make up for your mistake, you can help me in another way. I am having a hard time understanding something contained within the three you gave me, therefore, I want to check out the others."

His words were not wrong, but she could not let an outsider into the study.

"I cannot tell you where the study is…"

What was wrong with this woman? Did she really not want to help him?

Becoming the bishop was not enticing enough for her? What more did she want?

Jacob could only roll his eyes.

"However, if you were to stalk me on my way without my knowledge, there is nothing I can do."

Another moment of silence drifted between the two, as Jacob could not believe the words Leah was saying. Was it really that hard for her to tell him the way? She was making this a whole lot more complicated than it needed to be.

Still, he nodded his head.

Leah moved and Jacob followed right behind her.

The two of them made it to the first floor when the door to the temple opened up.

Jack held the door open as Amelia and another woman entered.

The woman's appearance caught Jacob's eye. Leaning on Amelia for support while her left hand covered her chest upon seeing him. The trembles of her arms and the fear in her eye told Jacob something was wrong.

7