In the time we were gone II
402 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Clearly flustered, the chubby man hastily pulled up his trousers. It was the cleanest motion Jacob has ever seen. His partner moved quickly as well, the white panties that were down to her ankles went up around her hips as she fixed her skirt. Face beet red and nervous, she stepped back.

The plump male was wearing expensive-looking jewelry, a golden necklace, with two thick bracelets around his wrist. There was also the white suit he wore that made him seem a bit skinny, yet, with one glance you could tell it was just a facade. The suit did not hide the roll of fat over his trousers.

Both were stunned, and they were not the only ones. Jacob was the first one to recover, but instead of saying anything, his blue eyes scanned the area.

The portrait of the Lezhalt family was in front of the short white table that the woman was bent over on for support. On it, Jacob could identify markings, almost as if a child took a marker and scribbled for fun.

Embarrassment quickly turned into anger as the large man stomped forward with heavy steps. Each step he took caused his rolls to jiggle in a funny manner. Jacob could not even take him serious due to his fat cheeks that reminded him of a chipmunk along with his short curly blonde hair.

Frankly, he looked like something out of a cartoon.

"Who the hell are you, and how dare you intrude into someone else's home unannounced?"

Instead of going to Jacob, the man stood straight in front of Jack. His fat index finger poked Jack in the shoulder as he talked. In response, Jack stood still like a brick wall not moving an inch as he was being stabbed by the man's finger.

"Do you not think that is a question you should ask yourself? I ought to have you castrated for your shameless behavior."

As he glared at the man, Jacob's chilling voice came out drawing the man's attention.

He gazed down, looked over Jacob's appearance once before he turned to the portrait of the Lezhalt family members. It took him a minute, as he doubled back and checked Jacob's appearance once more.

Seemingly understanding, the fat man frowned.

"Well, if it isn't lord Lezhalt, there was news that you were dead. Turns out that was a lie. Guess one should not believe everything they hear unless you see it with your own eyes."

Pausing for a second, he looked at the other two people next to Jacob.

"Tell me, how did you survive?"

He cared little for Jacob, figuring that he was a young lord who he could toy around with. Both of his parents were dead, and he always stayed cooped up inside the mansion. Everyone knew how scared the young lord was due to his behavior, so the man took it upon himself to act mighty as if his previous deeds were nothing to talk about.

What could the young lord do to him?

Paying him little attention, Jacob walked around the man looking left and right. Indeed, the blood and corpses have been cleaned up. Even the debris from the wooden tables that were broken vanished.

"What happened to the bodies? Are you the one who cleaned this place up?"

"Naturally, since I own it."

Jacob scoffed at his words.

"Own? You're mistaken, this place and all it entails are mines."

"Considering you have not been around for a few days, let me enlighten you on how the world works. Property without an owner is turned over to the government if not the temple and someone else can buy that property as long as they have th-"

"Only if all the owners are dead, and as you can see. I am alive and well. Therefore, you wasted a large sum of money for… nothing."

Interrupting him, Jacob stated a fact, one that any noble should know. He even grinned devilishly, mocking the nobleman for spending a great sum of money only to end up with nothing in return.

Clicking his tongue, the plump man was angry but he could not really refute Jacob's words. They were true, more so than he wanted them to be.

Turns out that the young lord of the Lezhalt family is not dull-witted, and knew a thing or two about the government.

"Now, back on topic. What happened to the bodies, as well as all the armor, and weapons? If you've taken them, I want them back."

"Sure, sure. There was not much to this place anyways. As for the bodies, they were burned."

With those words, the man motioned with his hand for his female companion to follow him. There was no need to fight the young lord over a few poorly crafted weapons and some beat up armor. Therefore, he swiftly agreed to return them.

Unsure if she should follow him or not, the woman looked at Jacob for a second and hesitated. Knowing that he had some status, she was slightly worried about her own well being.

After all, she was not a noble just this man's mistress.

With words sweet as honey he told her everything would be ok here, but now it was not. Still, seeing that Jacob was not paying her any attention she moved.

Sticking close to her lord, she walked behind him avoiding the other two people.

"I'm sure the others will be glad to hear of your safe return. Many were worried about you. Until next time."

He commented one last time, making sure he had the last words.

Once news got out that Vulcan del Lezhalt was alive, he was sure that whoever slaughtered all those people would be back. Until then, he could only bide his time.

Outside, the plump man was seething in anger.

"Fuck!"

He shouted.

Frightened, the woman nearly jumped out of her skin. She knew of his temper so she needed to keep a little distance from him right now.

"How dare that brat embarrass me like that? He just couldn't stay dead, could he? Not once, but twice has he avoided death! Does he have some lucky charm or something?"

Complaints just kept coming and coming from the man as he was fuming with rage. Especially considering Jacob was looking down on him.
The way he glared, that cold temperament of his. It was as if Jacob did not put him in his sights at all.

This matter was a total embarrassment, and if anyone knew about it in his circle of friends he would become a laughing stock.

Inside the estate, Delphine looked back towards the door the couple walked out of before he turned her head to Jacob.

"You are just going to let them leave like that?"

"What do you suggest I do? Pray tell."

Sure, he could beat the man with his fist. Maybe he could even earn some gold if he took this matter to the government officials. But what would he gain? Nothing.

As for the family portrait, Jacob did not care about that. He was not Vulcan del Lezhalt, so he had no attachment to him or his family members.

What he was only concerned about was the dead bodies, but that was already settled. It pained him that they were burned instead of buried, but what could he do about it?

Delphine did not say another word. She knew this situation was not something that could be resolved with violence. Nobles were delicate people with sinister behavior, and the man would not just let Jacob take action against him. Even if he was in the wrong.

"Sadly, you came all this way for nothing. Your father's body was burned so it will be hard to pay your respects to him."

Grumbling, this was true. She traveled a distance in hopes of saying farewell to her father, but now she could not even do that.

"Stay or leave, the choice is yours. I suggest you take this time to walk the halls your father has while recalling memories of the time you spent together."

Jacob motioned for Jack, and the two of them walked up the stairs heading to the second floor.

Delphine's appearance here made Jacob cautious, but that was all. He knew who she was, and from what he knew about her she was not the kind of woman to sneak around and do anything.

Jack was someone who was honorable, he would stay loyal to his lord even in dire circumstances as he has showcased before. Delphine was the type of character that had her own set of morals she'd never cross. She grew up as a commoner, but once she joined hands with Veronica her status would instantly rise to that of a noble. However, knowing their behavior due to her time with them, she never wanted to be like them. Instead, she wished to change their perception in hopes of bettering the lives of commoners.

Most people would not see that because she was a serious woman with a cold nature. Even when Veronica came into the picture, Delphine always tried to handle problems on her own.

It was a hard path to travel, but that would not stop her from treading it.

As they walked up the stairs, Jack looked back and found Delphine gone. Unlike Jacob who did not seem to care for her disappearance, he could not help but feel she was a danger.

They went into the study, where books were missing from the wooden bookshelves, papers were tossed on the floor, and from the corner of his eye, Jacob saw women's undergarments.

He could only sigh at the mess.

When he came here before everything seemed organized, but now…

"What are you planning?"

Jack questioned him as he saw Jacob reach down and start picking up the documents spread across the floor.

"I need to find the ledger, find out what business' the family owns. After that, I'll spend some time training."

"No, I mean… what are your plans for the future? Are you really going to take up the mantle of a noble?"

Jacob shrugged.

"Don't see why not. It has its perks…"

Looking at Jack, Jacob realized he was at a loss of what to do next. He came from a village alone in hopes for a better life, eventually, he found it here. But now, the lord he served vanished without a trace, and those he knew were all dead.

Now he was a lost soul without a destination in mind.

"I already told you, I would reward you by sending you to a knights academy. However, if you do not want that I could always employ you. I believe that would not be a bad alternative."

"I'm grateful for the thought, I really am, but there is no need for that. Even if I do become a knight, I do not know what I would do."

Grabbing a few documents off the wooden floor, Jack started to speak.

"I just want a better life than the one my family has, eventually my own family."

"You make it seem like going to school is a bad thing. Sure, it will be daunting as you are a noble setting into a school filled with nobles. However, the lessons you learn will stick with you for a lifetime. Friends, enemies, and even a lover. Everyone needs a little adventure in their life Jack, don't waste yours staying here."

"Then what about you? Stay here, be a noble. Where is the adventure in that?"

Jacob laughed a little as he placed the documents in his hand on the desk Vulcan del Lezhalt sat at before.

"I never said I would stop there, I just want a place to call my own. This place…"

He wanted to mention some events that would happen in the future, but he could not bring himself to say a word. Nor could he tell Jack this city was not safe. It was the capital of the empire if this place was not safe then what was?

"Sure, I can have that being a noble in the city. But, I cannot deny myself that fire in my stomach that craves for a little adventure. I'll be honest with you, I plan to align myself with the army eventually. Gain some merit, survive, and settle down in a land far away from this place."

Jack wiped the nonexistent sweat off his forehead.

"I thought you were going to say you had big dreams, like becoming king. Was afraid for a little bit there. Do not see how joining the military will be adventurous, there is hardly a real threat around."

Gazing at Jacob, Jack was lost in thought for a moment.

"You are really mysterious, you know that right?"

Jacob grinned while shaking his head.

"You grow up faster when you are all alone. I managed to pick up a skill or two from those I've come across."

Was he lying? No, not really. Jacob really did learn a valuable lesson from all those he encountered. Maybe not in this life, the one he is living right now. But in his previous one, he learned a lot.

Still, Jack would not look too deep into it mostly because it was true too for someone who wandered the streets. They met all kinds of people and faced various situations. Every time they found themselves in deep, they either survived to tell about it or died. Either way, it was a lesson to those around them, do not repeat the same mistakes I have.

There was a strange feeling inside his heart. Although he knew very little about the person inside this body, he felt a lingering attachment to this city. Faces appeared in his head, and with each, he felt a sense of happiness.

This was the hardest part, having these emotions but also the guilt that came along with them. If he did not die on the battlefield, he was sure that he would be eaten alive by his sense of guilt.

9