In the time we were gone VII
438 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From his talk with Ava, Jacob could see how much she cared for the other girls. She even went out of her way to request he does not betray them or abandon them. That was the only thing she wanted, and no matter what Jacob wanted them to do, they would do it as long as he did this small thing for them.

Initially, Jacob was not in favor of her requesting anything of him, but once he heard what she wanted he agreed. Anyone who worked for him he would not leave to fend for themselves.

The girls would serve Jacob as his maids and work to gather information for him. Only, he wanted them to keep an eye on the other works, in case anyone new he hired decided to have a grand ambition like Oswald.

This idea emerged in his head as he thought back to the words Jenna told him, as well as Ava informing him that they were trained to get men talking.

Working as a maid that looked out for their lord, that is what they were assigned to do. Their payment was a lowly two silver weekly, with Ava's pay being five silver. Making the total twenty-three silver a week. With Jacob's current income, this was barely even a drop in the water.

He needed to keep in mind that these girls had no combat power whatsoever.

Although their pay was not a lot, Jacob told Ava he would allow them to sell their services to the guards, but they could not charge more than two silver. This was a benefit to both the girls and the men - who would later come.

The men would relieve their stress, while the women learned information from them and gained money.

Before they began their work, Jacob wanted to draw up a contract that stated the terms. He told Ava that it would be ready later on today, once he finished up his other business.

After leaving the kitchen in the hands of the girls, Jacob went upstairs to the study. He could understand why Vulcan del Lezhalt enjoyed this room and never left. It was very quiet here, allowing him to think peacefully.

In the kitchen, the women were talking, cabinets were opening and closing. He found it hard to organize his thoughts with them around.
Before long, Jack entered the study.

"Where have you been?"

Jacob questioned him as soon as he walked in.

He was seated at the wooden desk, looking over the ledger once more before he would draft up a few ideas. Depending on the amount of silver he received, Jacob could do many things.

Still, with the tournament not far away he wanted to save to place a few bets.

"Nowhere, why?"

Jack answered quickly, almost as if he was prepared for such a question to be asked.

His curly blonde hair was slightly tousled, not in its usual style. His shirt was not the green one he wore before, this one was green but around the collar area were strings that looped through the v-cut.

As Jack went to take a seat, Jacob noticed a red mark on the side of his neck and grinned.

"Attending to chamber business, aye?"

"What? No!"

Jack who was about to take a seat shot up, denying Jacob's words.

He could dismiss Jacob's words all he wants, but it did not stop the facts from being shown. Especially when Jacob had knowledge on how hickeys looked.

Heck, he did not even need to know that. Jack was blushing so hard his entire face was dyed red.

Jacob was really curious how one of the girls managed to snatch him up so swiftly, but thinking about it now, Jacob realized that Jack never left the estate before. If he never left, that meant it was hard for him to come in contact with women who sold their bodies.

Unsure if Jack encountered women of their kind before, Jacob could only laugh.

"Why are you laughing?"

"No reason, sit."

Jacob was sure now, one of those girls definitely went to bed with him. He was not upset though, he just hoped Jack would not fall for them. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but Jack was more 'pure' than he expected. Jacob did not want the girls to taint him too much.

"Just do not go around sleeping with them all, that'll have a negative effect on you. Trust me, women are scarier than you think."

"Anyways, tomorrow I plan on retrieving the item that will allow you to attend any knights academy. Yeah, I know you said you don't know what you will do once you become a knight, but the offer still stands. If you want to become one, let me know and I will set everything up."

Before Jack could say anything to deny Jacob's words, Jacob already began speaking about something else. Jack was happy that the topic changed.

"I will think over it."

Jack commented as he crossed his legs and leaned back in the wooden chair.

"I mean if you want you can just work for me. I believe we work well together, might as well get paid while you are here."

"And do what exactly?"

"Well, for now, you can be the head guard. But, as long as you do well, I will promote you to something else."

Pointing to himself Jack questioned Jacob's decision.

"Me the head guard? Do you think I have the skill for that? I'm not Oswald or Renold."

"You could be in time. Staying a lowly guard forever means you have no ambition. Everyone has something they want, no one stays content for long. Trust me, you can fill in the position now and as long as you work hard at it, you may find you have a knack for it."

Jack scratched his head as he thought it over. It was not a bad deal for him. He was already used to the estate and knew where everything was. Him being the head guard put him in a high position and he'd have subordinates who'd listen to him. Not to mention his pay would be high.

The only downside was the training portion. Jack was doubtful about his training skills. Giving orders could be learned as he went, but training? He had no clue where to start.

"What about the other guards? How will you decide who to hire and how many do you plan on getting?"

Tapping his hand on the ledger a few times, Jacob looked at Jack.

"I'll leave that up to you, just do not pass ten people. It'll be perfect for you. I suggest inexperienced young men, they are like a clean piece of paper. You can mold them however you want."

"Alright, I accept. Sticking with you is not too bad."

"I figured you'd agree. I'll still be gone tomorrow."

Before Jack could ask another question, there was a knock on the study door. Jacob nodded his head towards Jack who got up to open it.
There stood Daniel and Priscilla, two people who Jack had yet to meet. Behind them was Ava who stood there with a smile.

"I've brought these two as the lord wished."

Ava said right before she slightly bowed her head to Jack and left.

Daniel and Priscilla looked at Jack wondering where Jacob was.

"Come in."

Jack commanded them, and although they were scared by his voice the two young children still entered. It did not take them long before they saw Jacob behind a desk with papers on it.

At first, the two siblings wanted to run up to him but they recalled what he told them. He was a noble. Therefore, they stopped and stood still inside the room.

Jacob saw the small crumbs on the side of their mouths.

"Daniel, Priscilla, this is Jack the head guard. Jack, these are two of my friends, they have information."

Priscilla looked up at Jack then back down before she glanced over at him again. Her small hands started moving as she twiddled her fingers while taking quick peaks at him.

Jacob shook his head softly when he noticed her behavior, but Jack did not seem to be aware.

To her, Jacob looked nice but she spent a lot of time with him and Jacob was like a second brother. Or he used to be. She had no feelings for him, but seeing Jack and his handsome appearance, Priscilla felt that she entered a whole new world.

Daniel saw his sister's behavior and elbowed her in the side.

"Hey!"

Rubbing her side she shouted cutely at him.

Daniel only rolled his eyes in response.

"You spoke of an army earlier, do you have any more information to share?"

"Ugh, no not really. Besides what we told you earlier, we truly do not know much."

"How long ago did they all leave the alley?"

Daniel and Priscilla started whispering to each other, discussing dates. There was a calendar here in this world, but neither of them knew about it. Only nobles had access to it and taught their children the dates.

Sometimes commoners could also learn about it if they attended an academy by chance.

"Like seven days after you disappeared, Dave and Andrew left to join the army. Before that, there was the man in a black cloak telling everyone to rise up against the tyranny of the nobles."

Priscilla answered as she gazed up thinking about past events, making sure they were as accurate as possible.
This was the first time Jack has heard of this and from the look on his face, he was clearly shocked.

"What are you talking about? What army?"

"If I am not wrong, the rebel army."

Sighing, Jacob said.

"Did the emperor not deal with them yet? Before I left my village there were rumors going around about an uprising, but none never occurred."

"No one believes in the rebel army. Thinking it is something the commoners say to keep their hope that taxes will change, and maybe force the ministers to change their ways. But, it is very much real."

"If it is real then why have they not made a move yet?"

"This, I do not know. I assume they are waiting for the right time to strike, sometime when the empire will be vulnerable."

Jack was worried. His family lived in a small village if a rebellion broke out and the commoners did try to fight against the nobles only death awaited. The nobles would raise their armies and slaughter all those that stood against them, even if they killed innocents in the process.
This was bad.

Jacob could understand his frustration with this matter, it definitely was not simple. Jacob did not want to seem like he knew it all either, or that could complicate his situation. If he did tell them of the rebel's plans, they'd question him. For now, it was safer to make assumptions that were not necessarily wrong.

The rebel army was led by a young man who had everything taken from him at a young age. He was cunning and a genius who also excelled in warfare. Even with peasants without proper training, he managed to give the nobles a run for their money.

There was a reason he did not win the war and overturn the nobles creating a system where commoners would not be treated as nobodies and gave everyone an equal opportunity. But, that was something for the future and nothing for Jacob to worry about right now.

Daniel and Priscilla saw how Jack and Jacob discussed this army with seriousness, causing them to feel nervous. Their friend has changed, he was not the Jacob they knew before.

Putting his thoughts about the rebel army to the side, for now, Jacob looked at the two siblings who stood across from the wooden desk.

"Do the two of you like this place? If so, you both can stay."

Both of them were cautious of this new Jacob, but hearing his offer how could they say no? It was a place for them to live without having to worry about their next meal.

Jacob brought up this offer after debating about it for a minute. He could feel his body would be torn in two if he kicked them out to fend for themselves.

"But, it is not for free. Daniel, you'll take care of the horses, and Priscilla you will manage the garden."

The two were given simple jobs, easy to learn, and do. Also, they did not need to worry about fighting or training.

Jack squinted his eyes at Jacob's words.

Since when did they have horses? Vulcan del Lezhalt had a few horses, but in the time they were gone those horses were no longer here.

"Ah!"

Jack yelled out in surprise as he just remembered something important. He reached into his trouser pockets to receive a letter.

"This came for you while you were away, but we were caught up in our talk. I nearly forgot about it."

7