In the time we were gone XI
355 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the temple of Saint Michael, ten figures stood in a circle. Six were men, middle-aged, or reaching their elderly years, the other four were women who were around the same age.

Leah stood among them, listening to their words.

"What do you mean lord Winter is withdrawing his funds? That is impossible, that money belongs to the temple!"

"You know he is not the only one, four other noble families have sent letters saying how they have donated enough to the church. If things continue on this path, I foresee three more nobles forgoing all future donations."

"Tsk. Those ungrateful bastards."

"What can we do? Bishop Quayle was the one who garnered their support, now that he is gone it is only natural they withdraw."

"When are we getting a new bishop?"

"Did you not hear? The archbishop told us to elect one amongst ourselves."

"It seems he has forsaken us, our temple is nothing but a stain in his eyes. After that incident, he wants no part in whatever we do."

All the priests were chatting, Leah barely had time to take in all their words. This was not how she envisioned things going after Jacob's plan succeeded. Everything was in shambles, and the temple was losing the support of well-established nobles.

Without their backing, the temple would not have enough funds to proceed with the plans they proposed years ago. If left in this state, she did not know what would happen to them.

At first, Leah believed that the treasury which held their funds was full. It was not until after the matter with Bishop Quayle was settled did she realize that was not the case. They did not even have three hundred silver to their name.

What happened to all the silver? She had no clue, and none of the other priests even brought up the subject.

Truthfully, she believed them to have something to do with it, but did not have the evidence to prove it.

If she left it to them, there would be nothing but dark days ahead for this temple. Someone needed to bring forth order.

"I was the one who solved the problem with Bishop Quayle, it is only right that I inherit his position."

Leah said loudly as she clenched her fist.

The other nine priests stopped talking only to glance at her. It took a moment before two men burst into laughter.

"You? Out of us all, you are the least qualified."

"Do not think we do not know of your schemes. Bishop Quayle was not a 'problem' needing to be solved. He had his flaws, but don't we all?"

"Yes, yes. The only reason none of us spoke against you was due to the fact we did not like the way he behaved. I've received a few complaints from the female priest discussing the 'guidance' that he gave them. If not that, I would have spoken against you."

The two men double-teamed her causing Leah to grit her teeth and take their blows.

They were not wrong, she was not the most qualified person to take up his position. However, they were all less fit than her.

"In fact, why are you even standing here with us? Leave!"

To them, Leah was an unstable variable. Who knew what she would do?

She managed to get rid of the bishop which was an astounding feat, and although none of them showed it they were afraid of her. The bishop who held his position for years was taken down by her.

If she could do that to him, they were nothing.

This fear of theirs caused them to behave in such a fashion. Leah needed to go, and it was best she went far away.

With heavy steps, Leah walked away. Even as she was leaving, she could still hear them talking about her as if she were some sort of infection. It got under her skin, more than she wanted it to.

With a loud bang, she closed the double doors hard as she let out a deep breath.

"Leah, did the meeting not go well?"

Amelia asked her as she carried a water basin in her hands.

Shaking her head, Leah responded.

"Everything is alright, there were just a few minor bumps in the road. "

She could not bring herself to tell Amelia the truth on this matter, Amelia had enough to deal with as she tried to heal her mother's wound. Amelia needed to stay pure, and Leah was starting to see how bad things really were.

Before, she was blinded by her faith. Now, she could see everything clearly.

This temple was infested with corrupt priests who only wanted to fill their pockets, just like those government officials. It hurt her, knowing this but not being able to act against it.

"I heard that lord Winter decided to stop all donations, is this true?"

Amelia asked her in a worried tone.

"Where did you hear that from, child?"

"One of the other priests heard it from another priest who works for brother Paul."

Leah could only let out a sigh. Did no one know how to keep their mouths shut? Such information that should not have reached the lower-ranking priest's ears has already spread.

Still, Leah did not lie.

"That's true, but we will survive. I'm sure lord Winter will be blessed by the Holy Mother for the generous donations he has given through the years. It is time he focused on his family now, as he is getting old."

"If he pulls out then should we not find another noble?"

Leah wanted to laugh.

If only things were that simple. Every noble that donated to the temple received something in return, even if it was a look in the other direction for their not so noble behavior.

As a person who stuck closely to her beliefs, Leah would not stand for it. A donation was a donation, not a bribe. Therefore, she may have said a few words about their actions, but nothing major that would cause them to stop giving away offerings.

"Child, we should not be dependent on the nobility. As a temple who follows the words of Mother Nessa, we must respect her teachings. Those nobles have long forsaken her words and are all corrupt. Dealing with them will only corrupt ourselves."

"Are they all bad? Lord Lezhalt helped me save my mother, and he even got rid of Bishop Quayle. You did not like him, I've heard you whisper curses in his name."

Amelia commented.

"Lord Lezhalt only helped you because it aligned with his own goals, same with the bishop. The bishop wanted him, so he needed to go. It was all an excuse, do not believe him to be good."

"But Leah, even if his actions were not the best, he still took action. You can say he is evil, but aren't some evils necessary to deal with evil? Is that not what you told me a year ago?"

Leah made an O face, as she understood how much Amelia has grown in such a short amount of time.

Her growth was amazing, but only possible because of the obstacles she faced. Yet, her words were right. Sometimes to beat evil, you needed evil to do your bidding.

"You are right, I spoke wrong. Still, I fear that lord Lezhalt will not lend us a hand in this matter. What does he have to gain? I have nothing to offer him."

Amelia twisted her lips as she thought what could be given to the young lord. Nothing came to mind.

"Why don't you invite him out? I'm positive you will find a way."

'One day you will have to grow up Leah and realize that when you are called upon, it is all in the name of Mother Nessa.'

Why did she remember Bishop Quayle telling her that? Was it true? Was she not grown up?

Looking at Amelia, that might be the case. Amelia was young, but already seeking a way to help her out. Leah was trying to do it alone, but maybe that was not the right answer. She had no real power, nor did she have any backing.

She was too short-sighted, not seeing the bigger picture the bishop was trying to show her.

His words may have been correct, but he failed. He became corrupt just like the rest.

"Thank you, child. Go, shouldn't you hurry to your mother, do not keep her waiting long."

Leah said as she shooed Amelia away.

It was a difficult choice, but a simple one. Leah found it a hard pill to swallow, as she was not used to counting on anyone else. Even when she asked Jacob to take Amelia away before, she did it so that Amelia would not have to stay here and bear witness to what her brother and sisters were really like.

If it was for that child, Leah did not mind asking.

So what made it so hard now?

Once more, she sighed as she watched Amelia stroll down the hall with the water basin in her hand.

'A letter. I should write him a letter… or maybe it is better to visit in person?'

8