In the time we were gone XIV
353 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A war was approaching, one that would cause men's ambitions to come to light. Those who vied for a higher rank, those who sought great prestige, or those who just wanted their names to live on forever.

War brought not only chaos, but it gave birth to heroes. People who stood up and carved a path not only for their future but for the peoples.

Jacob stood over the map of the continent, marking down locations where those with the ambition to be called king made their stand. The markings were not finished, as he was in a daze.

Thinking about his future, and what came next.

His plan to join Veronica… could he do it?

As he realized, not everyone is the same as they were in-game. What if she too were different, much different than in the game? His plan would end up in failure.

Albert would not even be in the city at the time the rebellion started. He would be at his fort celebrating the birth of his twins with his wife.

Jacob could not count on him. Heck, he did not even know if he could count on Veronica truth be told. He could only depend on himself, but Jacob had no desire to be called king.

All the preparations he made, he had to make sure they clicked together. If not, he may not even survive what is to come.

With the information he knew about the rebellion, he could tell the higher-ups. However, none of them would believe him.

The rebellion is just a dream all the common folk wished for. The Valorian Empire has stood this long, so it would not fall, nor fracture.

That sort of thinking and the greediness of the ministers is what caused them to lose.

Jacob knew that the empire has fought off rebellions before, but this was different. It was on a larger scale, something they would not expect.

People's frustrations, anger, and shattered belief that has been building up over time will finally come forth. Under one banner, all desiring the same thing. A better life, a better future. They wanted change.

Standing there, his blue eyes focused on the map while his thoughts ran wild. The drums of war were beating in his head, as people were being slaughtered.

What was his role in all of this? What position should he take?

After blinking, his hands moved as he finished making his marks on the map.

He heard two knocks on the door. Setting his pen down, he looked towards the door and told them to come in.

"Lord, there are two people downstairs for you."

It was Teressa who told him that.

She was still wearing the same knightly armor that she wore yesterday, Jacob wondered why. He told all three of them that they could relax and wear whatever they wanted as long as they continued to do their jobs.

Even though he said that none of them changed out of their suit of armor.

"Who is it? Do you know?"

Teressa shook her head in response.

"No, but one seems to be a priest and the other claims to work for you. Amber is watching both of them, but if you would like, we can get rid of them."

"It's fine, bring them here."

"As you wish."

Teressa said as she closed the door.

"Wait!"

Teressa opened the door again as she peeked her head through.

"Yes?"

"Nothing, nevermind."

She stared at her lord for a moment, questioning his behavior. She felt that he wanted to ask her something but held himself back. After a few seconds, she closed the door.

Jacob glanced at the map one more time before he walked over to his desk.

Soon, two people entered into the study.

One stout man that wore clean clothing, looked brand new as if he just bought it the day before. His face had smudge marks on it, but other than that he was decent. In his hand, he held a large sack.

The other was a woman that wore a long white cloth that covered her entire body, with a golden pendant around her neck. Her face was covered by a long veil that was somewhat transparent. She held two thick scriptures in her hand.

She was taller than Amelia, and her assets were standing out more. This was Leah.

The man was Henry who Jacob met not too long ago.

"Henry, I honestly was not expecting you so soon. I assume you brought the package?"

Jacob eyed the large sack in Henry's hand. It was three times the size of a normal pouch and looked heavy but Henry was holding it up with one hand.

"Yes lord, this is one of them. The others are outside in a chest, but since the chest was full I put the leftover inside this sack for you."

Henry walked forward and set the large sack on the desk Jacob was seated at.

Opening it up slightly, Jacob peeked inside. A mountain full of silver coins awaited him. He did not count it, instead, he just put his hand inside and fiddled around with them.

It was easy to make out the clanging sounds coming from within the sack, and although Leah could not see what was inside of it, she had an idea of what it was.

"I'll have my sons bring up the chest, where would you like it?"

"Take it to my room, it is the one next to the study. Have Amber lead the way, she's the one who was guarding you."

"As you wish."

"Henry, stay around for a bit after you take it to my room. I have a few ideas I would like to discuss with you."

Henry nodded his head.

What exactly did he do to gain his lord's favor? He had no clue.

He did not decline, there was no need to. This was the first time his lord asked him to stay, even his father did not do that. Henry figured this would be a great privilege.

Henry walked out, he could see that the priest wanted to discuss something with Jacob, and did not want him around.

With Leah and Jacob left inside the study, Jacob glanced over at her.

"It has not even been a week, did not think I'd see you so soon."

Jacob could not see it, but Leah cracked a smile underneath her veil.

"Well, promises must be kept. I know this is not all of them, but it's more than nothing. Two more scriptures for you, and more to come later."

Leah stepped forward and set the scriptures down on his desk, on top of the small pile of documents.

"I did not take you for one to read so many books."

She commented as she looked at the books on the shelves.

"They were not mine, but my fathers. He always told me knowledge is power, I feel like he was right."

Jacob watched her as she looked around the room for a little bit. Neither of them spoke for a minute or two, but since she was not going to start, Jacob figured he would.

"I do not think you came all this way to give me two scriptures. You could have sent someone else for that. What is it you want?"

Leah stopped moving as if she froze. Her body slowly turned towards Jacob, the young noble who seemed wise beyond his years.

"I will be blunt with you. I need your help."

"Oh?"

He was not too surprised, but he still raised his eyebrow as he leaned forward a little bit in his chair.

"There has been a problem with Bishop Quayle's dismissal. He has left his position open, but the other priests want it, and nobles who have backed the temple are withdrawing, leaving us with no funding."

"Bishop Quayle? Oh, was that his name?"

"Yes. The others have a problem with me taking the place of the bishop."

"How is that my problem? I've made way for you to ascend, but you are incapable of doing so. Funding can easily be fixed, I'm sure you can find other nobles to make donations."

"Which is why I am here. You are a noble with a substantial amount of wealth, with your backing I'm positive the others will change their mind."

Leah never imagined he would say no. Well, she had, but she always thought at the end he would agree to help her. She was willing to do just about anything. Leah had a plan, a plan to fix up the temple.

Commoners and nobles alike, it did not matter. Healing would not cost, people could come for food, or be given a place to stay for the night. She wanted to help, but with the current way, things were progressing that was unlikely to happen.

"That does not fix your problem, you are merely covering it up. Let me ask you, if the temple was funded by the other nobles, surely you have silver left over? Where is it?"

"This!"

"Exactly. Your temple is filled with selfish priests who want nothing better than to fill their bellies and fatten their pockets. Me backing you will only mean my money goes into a safe, which will eventually find its way into their hands. They'll continue to steal, and take what they want while you are the face who has to solve everything."

"They are loyal members of the order, what do you expect me to do?"

"That is what I want to ask you. What do you want me to do?"

Leah thought hard, what did she want from him? Money? Yes, she wanted his money to help her rise in power, but at the end of it, she wanted something more.

Leah desired the quality he had, the courage to act, and stand against those who stood in his way. She wanted to use him to get rid of the other priests because she could not do it herself.

It was an unholy desire, one she wished she did not have. However, it needed to be done, or else the temple would never be the way she envisioned it to be.

"I will help you, but it will cost you. So I ask you, what are you willing to give up?"

For his future, Jacob needed Leah to take over the temple. It would be beneficial to have an ally within the order with a high position. But, he needed her to be strong, not weak-minded.

Without strength, Leah would never survive. The priest would run her over, leaving her with nothing.

Jacob had a feeling that she could do it. It was the same feeling he had a long time ago, the one that drove him towards the path of becoming a video game developer.

He could not fix the main problem that drove the empire to its current state by himself. To fully cleanse it, he needed powerful allies, and Leah could be one.

'One step at a time. Just take it slow.'

Jacob told himself.

There was no need to fully plan for the future that was months away. He should prepare for the days ahead.

8