Secrets and lies IV
705 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Renold came out of the study, something he rarely did recently. His top priority was to protect the lord while helping him with his studies. As of late the lord no longer needed his guidance so Renold found himself lazing around the study.

He was never much of a reader so the likelihood of him picking up one of the various books located in the study was close to zero.

As time progressed Renold found himself becoming useless. His position as the head guard was basically just a title at this point, he has not associated himself with any of his old comrades in a year. All of the tasks that the head guard should preform was done by his second in command, Oswald.

Still, Renold never went a day without swinging his sword. Training until he was drowned in sweat and his muscles were sore. It made him feel alive, caused him to reminisce about the old days when he was just a young adult.

Passing through the kitchen the maids and butlers gave him a slight bow with their heads as he passed. His status was only second to that of the lord, thus everyone showed him the most respect.

"Where is the head maid?"

Renold's blue eyes stared at the grey-haired butler, in a black suit. The butler was old, twenty years older than Renold, but if anything he had the most experience here in the estate. He's served the lord's grandfather and has been around ever since.

The two of them got along fairly well, especially considering the hardships they went through together years ago.

Just recalling provoked the hairs on his body to stand tall. Most people would not understand the dark side of nobility and their horrid personalities. Yet, he did and he has lived to tell about it. However, would he? No.

That was something about him that no one could take away. Some say it's a perk, others told him it would be the death of him. Renold was not a sharer, he kept things to himself and treaded the rough path alone.

"Should be out front giving the maids a stern talking to."

The old butler knew about Renold's personality and how he disliked people dancing around words so he got straight to the point.

"Would you like me to fetch her?"

Taking the initiative was something the old butler was good at. These old bones of his still let him work, and he would continue until they ran out of steam.

He did not have anyone in his life to care for him. His wife died a few years back, and his two kids left this place as soon as they saved up enough money. Keeping in contact with them was something he wanted to do, but he lost contact with them a little over two years ago.

Hope was something for the young, he was too old for that. Worrying about his kids day in and day out was exhausting. He could only pray they were still alive, but with two years of no contact, the light on that was dim as it could be.

"If you would, that would be great."

Renold told the old butler, and the butler moved at a quick pace.

As for the other employees in the mansion, Renold gave two shits about them. He went towards the door leading outside from the kitchen and leaned against it. There, he saw Rolf chatting with the other butler but saw no guards walking around.

It was still early in the day, so they were probably getting their orders for the day or training. Given his history, Renold would drill them until they bled. Instill everything he wished he had learned at a young age into their bodies. That way, when something did happen they would be prepared for it.

Rolf must have seen Renold's figure in the doorway as he raised his hand in a greeting and smiled.

In response, Renold gave him a slight nod.

The past of Rolf was a dark one, just like his own story. Renold could relate to Rolf in more than one way, but the two of them just never clicked. Rolf renounced his warrior ways after the beheading of his daughter.

He got caught up in a nobles dispute and the consequences for that were dire. Sad to say at the end of it he did not only lose his daughter, his wife left him as well.

A minute or two went by before Diana came to find Renold.

"You called for me?"

Diana asked Renold as she gazed into his blue eyes.

Unlike the others, she was not all that afraid of Renold. His hardened tone, risque full beard and that manly posture of his meant nothing to her. It was not like she dreamed of being in those thick arms of his every night, just every so often.

Renold was definitely not her type, at least not the kind she would want to marry. He definitely had a charm to him that made her want to be with him at least one night. It was more of a curiosity than anything else.

"I'll be leaving for a day, make sure things stay tight around here."

What? Leaving? Since when does the loner Renold take a break? Since she started working here Diana has never seen him leave the lord's side for more than two hours. For him to be gone for a period longer than that had her curiosity piqued.

"No need to worry, everything will be pitch-perfect upon your return as if you never left."

Those words did not need to be said as he already understood how capable Diana was. However, she did not know that she was only so capable because he was here. His presence alone caused the others to stay on their toes. Without him here, he wondered how Diana would keep this place under control.

She was smart for her age, but she was a bit arrogant. It was safe to assume she had made a few enemies here in the estate, which was a given anyway due to her status as the head maid.

Did she know that the worst enemies were those right under your nose? If not, she would be taught a lesson she more than needed to learn.
Renold couldn't help but chuckle while picturing her crying. Something he has yet to see her do.

Diana's eyebrows furrowed as she was confused about Renold's chuckle. What was so funny?

"Where is Vulcan? Have not seen him today."

Hearing of Vulcan's name, Diana's first thought was to tell Renold her opinion of him as well as her suspicions. But, given Renold's nature, he probably would not do anything to Vulcan. There was no proof he had done any harm, nor did she know what he was hiding - if he was hiding anything at all.

Therefore, Diana kept her assumptions to herself until she gathered more information. The only reason she was on her guard against him was due to the attack on the lord's life previously. She knew that nothing happened as of late, but that only meant something was being done in the shadows.

It was a long stretch to see Vulcan as an assassin, but she just could not stop get the feeling out of her mind. One moment he was naive as a baby, then the next he seemed to be more cultured. It was too drastic of a change not to notice.

"He has been busy, seemingly trying to make friends or find his place among the people. You can find him behind the barracks with the guards."

Diana told Renold what she knew as she did keep tabs on him.

"Making friends huh, guess that is not a bad thing."

14