Chapter 17 friend*
136 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Friend

 

“I would think about it if you could find me again.”

 

She said that and all, but I’ve no clue what I need to do. Should I start a frantic search? Aside from that, I’m not sure if she agrees to be friends with me.

 

I yet again successfully wasted another week without making any progress.

 

To begin with, how would I interact with her? No, more importantly, where the hell do I find her? Is that what she means? Are we actually playing hide-and-seek? I already lose if that is the case. To be honest, I never caught even a glimpse of her shadow this whole week.

 

"Sigh, what should I do?" Deep in thought, I inadvertently let out a voice.

 

“Something the matter, Caru?”

 

Hearing the familiar gentle voice, looking up, I found Lhina's emerald eyes staring down at me. Coming back to my senses, I remember that Lhina was currently taking care of my hair.

 

It was currently early in the morning. Lhina was sitting on the sofa, and I took the floor, leaning on the sofa while she combed my hair. I know this was quite unnecessary, though Lhina seems to enjoy it, and I also come to like how relaxing it is.

 

Tearing my eyes away, I respond absent-mindedly. "Nothing really; it's just because of Euvialin."

 

Sooner or later, I realized I had made a mistake.

 

Lhina blooms into a teasing face. "Heee, I see. You're interested in her."

 

Just hearing her words makes my eyes twitch. With her expression alone, I can already perceive what she is talking about. Though she misses it entirely, I do have interest in her, but not in the sense that in her mind, I have the mind of a teen, so I can't see her like that right now, though I can't say the same thing in the future.

 

Before my thoughts strode further, I realized Lhina had a meaningful grin on her face.

 

“So I’m right..."

 

Keeping my composure, I give Lhina a dispassionate replay.

 

"Not really, it's just that she says that; she'll hang out with me if I find her again."

 

As soon as I said that, Lhina's excitement grew further. "Mhhhmmm... so she said something like that."

 

“I didn't manage to find even a single hair strand of her this week.” Ignoring her meaningful look, I continue curtly. "I’m wondering if you happen to know where she usually is."

 

After contemplating for a bit, Lhina's expression returned to normal. "She is really good at hiding, and including me, I don’t know how to find her. Though here's advice: when you look for her, use mana."

 

Hmmm, I see."

 

That should be the most reasonable thing to do. Looking at how I discovered her within a barrier before, I’d need to search the mana around. Though I coincidentally found her that time due to an accident, I most likely found her again if I thoughtfully searched using mana sense.

 

 

“Alright, all done. "

 

The moment Lhina said that, I felt a tight sensation around the back of my head. Using my hand in reflex, I reach where the feeling came from, thus realizing rubber tied my hair. I’m about to turn around to look at Lhina, but she hands me a mirror before I react.

 

Accepting the mirror, I looked at my reflection, though Lhina's proud face was the first thing I saw on it. Moving it closer to my face, I scan my hair. My hair is already getting long, so being tied keeps it in place. But one thing was hovering in my mind.

 

I don't look as good as this if I tie my hair like this in my fast life.

.

 

 

Giving back the mirror to Lhina, I rose from my feet. "Thanks Lhina.'

 

“Mhh, I enjoy it; don't worry."

 

 

To be honest, I still want Lhina to comb my hair to pamper me, as it is already my hobby. Though a matter in hand should be taken care of now,.

 

I’m still clueless about how to deal with Euvialin, so I’d need help from a friend. I deem asking Lhina would most likely cause trouble, so I need to turn to my dear friend Oscar.

 

“I’m going to Oscar for a bit."

 

“Take care.”

 

 

                                                                           ***

 

Hey, there's something that's been bothering me," I mused, lying on the sofa lazily.

 

"That’s the first thing that would come out of your mouth after you barged in without a warning."

 

Beside me was the always-exhausted Oscar, with a sour look on his face; his tone was slightly more irritated than usual. Earlier, I casually kicked on his door and entered; he made such a quick movement in fluster that even my eyes missed it. The massive TV was shut off, and I’m sure I got a glimpse of its light earlier. My guts are telling me he's doing something fishy, though I’m not here to gaslight him.

 

“Here, I’m sorry for disturbing your busy matter, but I've got something important to ask," I interject dispassionately, making his brow knit.

 

“Don’t emphasize busy matters as if they have a different meaning!!!! ”

 

Ignoring his complaint, stare straight into his eyes. Realizing the seriousness of my eyes, he remains silent. Taking that silence into consideration, I reveal my woes.

 

“How did we become friends again? "

 

“This fuc..." Oscar held his word, though irritation was visible on him.

 

I know it's an irritating question, but I can't help it. There’s no one else I can turn to; if I ask something like this to Lhina, she’ll surely link it to Euvialin to tease, which I would rather avoid. However, I think it's also a great question for someone like Oscar—a question perfect to annoy him.

 

"Did you really barge in here just to ask that?” Oscar answers in annoyance. "What’re you on about this time? "

 

Heaving a sigh, I look at the ceiling. “I’m just wondering how to make friends."

 

"..........."

 

With my blunt query, the air froze, and Oscar was stunned, making a complicated expression as if in pity.

 

I know my words sound pitiful, like an introvert begging to gain friends. Wait.... That certainly sounds like my situation right now. I’m basically alienated in this place, so I barely interact with others. Though things were different in my past life, I have a considerable number of friends.

 

However, like my woes, I don't know how I made friends with them. If I’ve to say it naturally developed over time, the interaction with them was the start, then naturally moved forward to friendship. I don't really expect any answer from Oscar, as he's... also has no friends.

 

Oscar sighs loudly, waking me from my reverie.

 

“Something the matter?"

 

“I’m impressed; you really asked me something like that."

 

“Well, sorry about that. I forgot you're a severe loner."

 

“I don't want to hear that from you!!!!" Oscar exclaims, calming himself. He signs. "I doubt that you don't know the answer; just look at us. How did we get here? "

 

I know. I'm just looking for more." I know it's just a natural occurrence that forms from the bond. A real friend can really be made like that."

 

“Btw, why are you asking something like this?" Oscar inquires curiously, "Does someone catch your eyes?"

 

I turn to face Oscar, seeing his face evident with curiosity. I guess its fine to tell him?

 

Despite being a little dubious, I tried to convey it to him, but without even being able to complete my words, Oscar's reaction was beyond my expectations.

 

“You see, I met a girl named Euvialin."

 

Oscar cramped his face in disgust with a mixture of shock." Euvialin?!!!!!! What is this?! Are you going to collect every loner in this place?!!"

 

I think it's a mistake to ask this bastard. Irritated, I howled at him. “Stop overreacting!!! It’s not like that. I've got my reason, though you didn't even try to listen."

 

With my cold eyes directed at him, Oscar calmed down. “Cough, sorry about that; I’m just amazed you managed to meet that Euvialin."

 

His statement piqued my interest, so I inquired. "Was it really something that amazing?"

 

“I have to say yes, it is," he continues, explaining in astonishment, “Even I barely catch a glimpse of her; what's more, even I never got a chance to talk to that kid."

 

Uwahh, so Euvialin was really that hard to spot, huh? I guess I’m lucky to have been able to meet her twice. I doubt I will find her easily next time.

 

Cutting into my contemplation, Oscar continues.

 

“I don't know what's going on between you two, but you better approach her with care. That kid was more antisocial than us."

 

“Yeah, I can see that." Euvian's cold face resurfaced in my mind.

 

"Also, this is my final advice: precious friends are hard to come by; you should treasure them. Don't repeat my mistake.”

 

Oscar's tone was gloomier than earlier; I don't miss his last words said in a lower tone, as though it's not something to be heard.

 

Unlike a deaf idiot MC somewhere, I can hear precisely. And I didn't miss the moment Oscar's face turned sad. And his mana leaks a sorrowful emotion. I'm quite familiar with that cliché; I know it's something that shouldn't be asked.

 

People have a secret that is never meant to be shared. I wouldn't meddle with it if I wasn't asked by the person itself. It seems people I'm close to have a dark past. I bet those guys I'm planning to meet have a fair share of the past as well—including me.

 

After a short silence between us, I decided to break it with yet another stupid question.

 

“Hey, do you remember the day we met?"

 

Oscar's face contorted. "Don’t remind me of that obnoxious day.

 

"What are you talking about? It was a fun day, you know?"

4