Chapter 23 Carus, Euvailin perspective.*
72 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Carus, Euvailin perspective.

 

The barrier disperses completely. It was as if a mist had been blown out. Revealing its content. A young girl had yet to reach her peak while standing there. Focusing on the scenery in front of her. Not minding the moron that messes with her barrier—me.

 

A girl, full of mysteries. dazzling, long, lustrous hair that touched the ground. An ethereal gaze that watches over the flourishing land.

 

 

"Euvialin," I muttered, astonished by the dazzling sight. As if I were trespassing in a sacred place.

 

She has a doll-like appearance, devoid of any emotion. The emotionless cliche is not just popular in books; there are few in this world if I remember correctly. If this world follows that future, even the MC will lose it.

 

The stupid MC aside, she, or any heroine like her, without a doubt possesses the most radiant smile.

 

If Euvialin had an appearance like this, there's no doubt her smile would be breathtaking.

 

But before that, I need to prevent what is about to happen months from now. The event that'll change the course of Euvialin’s Life, while I'm at it...

 

I'll cut the future that'll kill one of the heroines.

 

"A warm yet kind of soft touch hit my face. Pulling away whatever was blacking my face with my hand, I realized it was Cilestia who seemed to be disheartened.

 

If I have this companion of mine, I can sever anything.

 

Knowing the reason why Cilestia was weird earlier, I smiled, patting the top of her body. 

 

"Don't worry, we'll always be together."

 

Sensing the sincerity of my words, she backed away, giving me space; thus, she continued to absorb mana to keep herself busy.

 

"Sorry about the noise; my mana was a little worrisome, you see." Without waiting for a response, I close the distance. "So this was where you've been hiding, huh?"

 

Slowing and turning her body into her lifeless eyes of azure and amethyst shade, our eyes meet. "You really found me."

 

Her indifferent response had a trace of being impressed, though she didn't mind me talking to a man. Hmm, I can get along with her, it seems.

 

“Yes, yes, you sure gave me a tough time," I said casually as the painful memories of those days resurfaced in my mind.

 

"Hmmm, you wouldn't have that much of a hard time if you searched here since the beginning." With a matter-of-fact tone, she continues. "Although perhaps it's something to be grateful for, seeing that your ability to utilize mana got stronger in several folds."

 

Her words struck me like a sword, as all of them were factual. Though I didn't miss the moment, her expression changed into some sort of warmth. I always got the feeling that there's a gap in her emotionless character. What I'm sensing now makes me certain.

 

"Hmm, something going on in your mind?" The next moment I realized it, she was already standing close to my face; with the age difference, she was slightly taller than me, lowering her face to meet mine.

 

Unlike before, I’m not startled this time. “Does this mean you have always been here? "

 

Euvialin grins slightly, turning back. She strides a bit, fluttering her plain white dress. "Yes, I have always been here, from the very beginning. Thanks to the barrier that can conceal everything and ward anyone from getting near, though it disappears because of someone who can't knock."

 

"Ahh, sorry"

 

"I don't need to bother about it; I can recast it if I desire, but I'm sure you will disable it again."

 

I'll certainly break it again, but if she could do that….

 

"If you can hide your presence that well, why not leave this place? After all, you are..."

 

"I see, you really know your thing, huh?" Euvialin once again faced me, with a thin smile but eyes devoid of everything. "You mustn't concern yourself with something as trivial as that. I just merely await the flame of my life extinguished. I've nothing to look forward to in this life."

 

This bullshit cliché. A person who seems to lose everything. Just what happened to her to end up like this? The weight of her statement is not that of a kid. Is she similar to us?

 

But this is not the case; due to her negligence toward herself, a lot of people will die, including a heroine.

 

"Nothing to look forward to? When you're even paying attention. Maybe something unexpected will happen and become a permanent memory, something like this!"

 

I rushed to her back, positioning myself behind her. A splash of water was heard soon after. Euvialin falls into the water. Then I lower my right foot—yes, I kick her.

 

I don't know what came to mind or why I did that—maybe because I was repulsed by her words earlier.

 

Feeling satisfied, I laugh loudly enough to echo in the surroundings.

 

I'm busy giggling on my own. A hand grabs the very same foot I used to kick Euvialin. Sinking me down in the water. I tried to get out of the water, but I was unable to. Fuck, I never learned how to swim, even in my past life!

 

I found a rock just in time to save myself. The moment I was able to see the surface again, a wet Euvian greeted me with a very cold gaze, but a slight tear seemed to be in her eyes. A purple light crackled in her hand.

 

That's.....!

 

Realizing what that is, I panic. I tried to say something, but water was entering my mouth. Wait, if you do that.

 

I tried to plead, but it was already too late. The light engulfed me and paralyzed my body. I don't have any resistance against elemental magic. Moreover, using lightning while I'm in water is seemingly brutal.

 

Before I sink completely. I saw Euvialin with a cold, irritated expression. I'm glad I'm able to bring emotion to her, but not at this cost. I thought you didn't care about anything that happened to you. I also notice Cilestia beside her. Now that I think about it, she's there; I almost forgot about her. Why didn’t you help me?

 

I felt like Cilestia was telling me I got what I deserved. That's the last thing I can remember. My eyelids became heavy, and I lost consciousness.

 

                                                               ***

Euvialin (Backstory)

 

“Line up, kids.”

 

A memory that strangely pertains to her mind even on this day. Once a child reaches three years old, they'll participate once a year in a children's ability test. So they can get the data if some child has a hidden ability that has been awakened.

 

Just like other kids, Euvialin lines up right in front of a pedestal-like device. With a floating orb on top of it. Surrounded by a holo-screen portraying numbers. It was a device used on Euvialin several times, tired of seeing it.

 

Unlike the others, Euvialin was seen to have an extraordinary talent, using it occasionally. Vise-versa, if kids are seen without a hint of talent, there's a chance that it'll never be used on them again.

 

Euvialin barely turned 4 at that time, and this will only be the second time she will participate in the mass testing day with new kids.

 

Euvialin's turn finally came. Since she had already used this device a few times, She casually put her hand in the floating orb, as she usually did. As the scanning starts, a voice reaches Euvian's ears. She came from the line on her left where new kids line up. Based on its tone, it seems to be a male child. But that's not what caught her attention.

 

 

“How the fuck am I supposed to use this? ”

 

What caught her attention was the boy standing beside her. It’s a boy with black hair with bluish streaks and bluish eyes. He had a nasty mouth, unbefitting of his age. He's talking straight. She talks straight even when she's that age. But something like that is not normal. Euvialin was special, but what about the boy? That's what she's wondering about.

 

The boy turned toward her but didn't look at her. But instead, it was in her hand that she placed the orb. Then the boy scans the surrounding kids but only looks at the orbs and their hands. Is he uncomfortable with others? Euvialin thought, beginning to become more interested in the boy.

 

Who is he?

 

"Let's do this, Cilestia," the boy said proudly for some reason. Proceeds to imitate others' gestures. A black light painted over by bluish colors emerges from his right hand that he put in the orb.

 

The others gasp at this sight, including Euvialin. It was a beautiful mana with high density, enough to be seen with the naked eye. But such attention was diverted to Euvialin when her results came out. Unparalleled aptitude for magic and a mana output of 1000, never seen in someone her age. She received praise from others, but she didn't tear away her attention from the boy. Who also seems to not care about what's happening in his surroundings.

 

Soon after, the boy's result also shows up.

 

"Wow, full of zero," he said casually after scanning the screen content.

 

"Cilestia, let's go home now. I'm hungry."

 

To Euvialin's surprise, the boy's blank expression broke. Showing a warm smile before walking away. And an orb of light the same color as his mana was floating around him. But one question lingers in her mind.

 

Who’s CIlestia?

 

Immediately, several pieces of gossip flowed through the air.

 

 

"Isn't that way too terrible even for the average human?"

 

“He doesn’t get anything, and his mana output is also low.”

 

“What’s up with that junk mana? ”

 

"Aren't kids around his age? They get at least 100, and the lowest is 50."

 

"Hmph. Why did the vice head pick someone like that? ”

 

“More of that, the question is: Was he really from a world like this, which is rich with mana? ”

 

“Is he junk from another world? Not a single affinity for magic?! ”

 

“What is that? That’s too pitiful. Hahahahahah”

 

"Ain't he also the kid who befriended his mana?"

 

"Yes, that freak."

 

"His name was Carus, right?"

 

“I think I heard him talking about it just now.”

 

This gossip reaches Euvialin. It surely reaches the boy as well at this distance, but he is simply not paying attention to it.

 

Those words pique Euvialin's interest more.

 

"Carus,” she mumbled. Before leaving the scene,.

 

A few days have passed since that day. Euvialin was spending her time near the falls like usual. But the intruder has come. It's a boy named Carus with a woman that she doesn't really like. She swiftly makes a barrier and hides herself. Looking at him, he seems to be practicing some mana-related stuff.

 

Both of them are always there every day, but Carus is oblivious to Euvialin's existence. But Euvialin was unknowingly watching over him rather than the boring scenery in front of her.

 

Will you find me someday?

4