Chapter 196 – Novice Isabella
121 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Isabella, having completed her usual patrol, made her way to the correctional headquarters.
Her purpose was to meet Xenovia.
The correctional building was stark white, as though it had been doused in bleach, devoid of any semblance of beauty. It resembled a block of tofu placed on the road.
When someone says, "Are you going to that white place?" it usually refers to the correctional facility. The inner workings of the place remain unknown to the public.

Rumors abound that it is where merciless torture occurs daily, aimed at the reformation of villains.
To the guards, however, it is simply their workplace.
Bypassing the complex security and intertwined gates, Isabella strode in with confidence. Before her, two black-haired women dressed in form-fitting white guard uniforms stood side by side.
The difference in height between the two was quite noticeable.

"Chief, what brings you here?" asked the taller one.

"I'm here to see Xenovia."
"Ah, she's regained consciousness."

"What did you say?"
"I didn't really say anything."

The three of them naturally conversed as they headed in the same direction.

"Sometimes I'd briefly regain consciousness for a second or two, but this time, I've been awake for over a minute."
"…"
"There was something I wanted to ask when the department head arrived. You didn't do that to her yourself, did you?"
"Hey."

The shorter one grew irritated and stopped the tall guard.
But Isabella remained unresponsive.
As she stared at her sister's face through the special glass barrier, she seemed at a loss for words.

"It doesn't make sense that you're unscathed after dealing with an S-class villain like that. Seeing the wounds, I assumed it was a fierce battle."
"My assistant was quite competent."
"Xenovia is barely alive, thanks to the life support device."

"Barely alive."
Xenovia had no choice but to be described that way.
All her hair had been shaved off. There were traces of multiple brain surgeries on her head.
Her eyes were almost closed, and an oxygen mask filled her mouth.

In such a critical condition, unable to lie down or sit, the straitjacket fastened around the patient was a fitting testament to the notoriety of the correctional headquarters. However, when one realizes that the adversary is none other than the villain responsible for the deaths of 50,000 innocent citizens, it hardly seems like a punishment at all. The only reason Xenovia is being treated now is because her judgment is imminent, and they want her to be alive to face it.

It's not much different from trying to save a criminal who attempted suicide before a war crimes trial, only to make sure they stand in court. Nevertheless, Isabella found herself conflicted as she watched her sister, her head shaven, slowly dying.

'…'

In truth, was the villain Xenovia's reign not already over? Overwhelming violence had swept through her body. Isabella, who sought the villain's punishment, did not employ violence to destroy her enemy's body, but the hands of the collector had been excessively cruel.

"How dare you touch Kim Sang-hyuk?"

As if to convey that message, the harrowing blows of the death collector struck Xenovia. She was forced to pay a hundredfold, a thousandfold, for her crime of piercing Kim Sang-hyuk's heart, and she had to do so with her own body.

"I need to talk to you for a moment, so please clear the way, Little Jack."
"Can't you spare her life? It's our responsibility to correct Zenobia."

This time, the little one chimed in as well.

"There are three groups of guards who lost their parents to her."
"I know. Zenobia is the leader of the Villain Alliance. I just want information."

Quintia's solo act.
The movements of the Villain Alliance...
Not knowing the details, it's best to ask Zenobia herself. Since she's the leader, after all,.

Isabella unlocked the security and stood before her dying sister.

"…"

The intensity of Zenobia's blinking changes as she removes her respirator.
It was a slight change, but that alone shifted the atmosphere.

"…Isa, Bella."
"…Zenobia."
"If you're happy... It's not allowed."


Zenobia smiled faintly.

"I am your misfortune."
"…Stop it. No more of that. It's all over now."
"Is it really over?"

"Yes. The Villain Alliance will crumble now that they've lost their leader. Xenovia, whatever you had planned, this will be an unforeseen turn of events."
"…"

Aren't you all in grave danger now?
That's what Isabella was saying. It was a logical conclusion based on rational judgment.
It was only natural for Kim Sang-hyuk's existence to be an unexpected factor for the Villain Alliance. Until recently, the Academy had been at a loss for how to deal with the issue of personality excretion.

In fact, it wasn't just about personality expression.
Kim Sang-hyuk was loved by the gods themselves.
He was a reliable boyfriend, but at the same time, he needed protection because he was vulnerable. This was because there was a high likelihood that the Villain Alliance would act in an organized manner.

"Dreaming of revenge is futile, Xenovia."
"… Are you worried?"

It was as if Xenovia had seen right through Isabella.

"Not at all. Why would I be, having captured the leader of the Villain Alliance?"
"…"

She seemed to mull over the words for a long time.
In fact, she appeared to be unconscious. She was barely breathing with the life support device emitting a red light.

Xenovia spoke weakly yet clearly.

"…The villain."
"…"
"They don't unite."
"…?"

Isabella furrowed her brow, contemplating the meaning of those words.

"Don't you understand?"

Xenovia murmured.

"Real villains don't form alliances... Isabella."
"… I've witnessed numerous villains working alongside you. Don't deny it."
"Is that so? Do you think they will obediently not bite if I tell them not to, and wait if I ask them to wait?"

All the villains appeared to fear and revere Xenovia.
Whenever major or minor incidents occurred, whispers of Xenovia's dark influence circulated, and some speculated that the next time she emerged, she would bring about hundreds of thousands, even millions, of victims.
Many media outlets scrambled to capture even a single glimpse of Xenovia's visage, and when her shadowy figure was spotted, excitement was palpable in the air.

The Villain Alliance: Where will the next strike occur? News articles of this nature poured forth.

"Do you truly believe that?"

However, she claims that there was never any such thing from the beginning.

"Then why did you target me? You suddenly set your sights on me in the street. Wasn't that the foundation of your plan?"
"I told you... It was because you were smiling happily.
"…"
"Hahaha…"

Isabella feigned a dry laugh. Then she sighed deeply and closed her eyes tightly, as if her entire body ached from the vibrations of her vocal cords.

"Whew… I told you... I am your misfortune."
"Just for that reason..."

Despite her resolution not to react emotionally,
Isabella's mind was boiling beneath the surface.

"Would you try to kill someone you've never seen before?"
"Villains are the dregs of society."

Xenovia struggled with her reply.
Isabella's words went unheard as Xenovia continued speaking.

"You all twist things this way and that... force them into place... only to discard them when they don't fit properly..."
"…"
"And now... to think that the broken ones will come together and cling to each other... It's quite amusing."

"… Just look at yourself now. Even the most formidable villains will have problems they cannot solve on their own. What's so strange about considering the idea of relying on someone else's power in times like these?"

There were numerous pieces of physical evidence proving the existence of followers.
However, Isabella couldn't grasp why Xenovia directly denied the existence of the "Villain Alliance," which was even documented and had established hideouts.
Was it because she was captured and her pride was wounded? Was she trying to appear strong? It didn't seem that way. Isabella couldn't understand the thought processes and underlying motives of a villain.
Regardless of how powerful and beautiful a hero she was, Isabella was still a student. She lacked professional profiling knowledge, and even if she had it, anyone would be frozen in fear when facing such darkness.

"Your man will die... even if I don't do anything... There are many who have caught his scent.
"Is that the plan of the Villain Alliance? Why are you targeting Kim Sang-hyuk?! Answer me!"
"Because his scent is delicious."
"What do you mean delicious?! Why are you targeting Kim Sang-hyuk?!"
"You wouldn't understand."

It wasn't just a sound meant to instill fear.
There was that sensation, but its meaning remained elusive.
In her frustration, Isabella clenched her fists and trembled.

Zenobia's self-amusing jokes, known only to her, were insufferably delightful, and Isabella disliked being swayed by them.

'It doesn't make sense to confront Kim Sang-hyuk right now, given the timing.'

It hadn't been long since Master Seridwen had issued a warning.
If the Villain Alliance had any common sense, they would certainly avoid crossing a Master Hunter.
...

After the unsettling visit, the jailer, Little Jack, looked at her expression and asked,

"Chief?"
"Watch them closely. Prevent any foolish actions."
"Understood."

Regardless, Zenobia would be unable to move for some time.
That much was certain.
Having left the headquarters, Isabella sat on a bench for a moment, fiddling with her smartphone.

[Kim Sang-hyuk] (close-up profile picture taken wearing a school uniform)

'Should I send a message?'

She worried.
Reluctantly. However, Isabella shook her head, her pride holding her back.

'What worry is there to have?'

Just a short while ago, people referred to him as an interesting student and treated him as if he were a servant, and now this? Isn't that a bit too brazen?

'If becoming his girlfriend was sudden, then it was sudden...'

In times like these, should I honestly reach out and express my concern for my boyfriend? I'm not quite sure what I should do. Isabella's first-ever boyfriend is Kim Sang-hyuk, and he may very well be her last. That was the natural conclusion the student council president came to.

[Isabella]
Evangeline, I have a question for you.
[Evangeline]
What is it?
[Isabella]
You're currently in the second-year class, right? How is it? How's Kim Sang-hyuk's group?
[Evangeline]
If there's anything unusual, it's that the gravitational waves are showing anomalies. If it's dangerous, I'd expect some sort of warning, but... There's no news.
[Isabella]
Well, generally speaking, what should I say when I'm worried about my boyfriend?

The student council group chat went silent for a moment.

[Evangeline]
… Are you dating? With Kim Sang-hyuk?
[Isabella]
That's what happened.
[Evangeline]
Wow! How? How did you start dating? Who confessed first?

The entire student council, including the executives, filled the group chat with emoticons, momentarily paralyzing the conversation. Isabella was slightly taken aback, not expecting such a fervent reaction.

[Isabella]
Kim Sang-hyuk confessed his feelings first. What should I write when I'm worried about my boyfriend?
[Evangeline]
Just tell him you miss him!
[Student Council Officer]
Ask him what he's doing now! How about you, Madam President, take a selfie and send it to him?
[Student Council Officer 2]
Aegyo! How about some aegyo?

Isabella simply intended to ask how he was doing. However, everyone acted as if they were trying to initiate a pseudo-romantic relationship with Kim Sang-hyuk, using the silver-haired, well-endowed student council president as an avatar. All kinds of suggestions poured in. Isabella, without filtering the barrage of ideas, recalled Sang-hyuk's words.

"Next time you contact me, do so with an affectionate and cute demeanor."

"…!"

[Isabella]
It seems Aegyo is the answer. What kind of cute phrases can I use? I'd like something endearing, please.

The collective intelligence of the student council members came together, and Isabella smoothly received their suggestions.

'Is this right?'

I'm worried about my boyfriend. Please get in touch with me.

I believed a simple touch would suffice, but before I knew it, things had escalated.
Left with no other choice, Isabella composed her message, her cheeks blushing ever so slightly.

[Isabella]
What are you up to, my dearest♡♡ You do know that your lovely Isabella is terribly worried, right? You'll get in touch the moment you see this message, won't you? Mwah♡♡

'This doesn't feel quite right.'

Regardless, the message conveyed her urgency, as if she would reach out as soon as it was read.

*

EXTRA 100+ CHAPTERS and ARTS!!!!!!

If you want more chapters and arts consider supporting me at 

https://www.patreon.com/SUN_MOON_EARTH

6