Chapter 3 ‘Dealing with a tough enemy’
172 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Neve>

The desire to vomit was strong, but not strong enough.

'I can't believe anyone willingly eats this crap'

Neve swallowed down the remaining egg bits. It tasted just as fowl as he remembered.

'Ah, I need to stop doing this...'

It was hard to though. The face his enemy made whenever he did always brought a smile to his face.

"Someone seems happy. Care to share the good news?"

As Neve took off his shoes and walked into the living room, he came face to face with his new mother. It looked like she had been waiting for him.

Neve felt his face twitch.

Her calm smiling face was very telling.

There were many things Neve lamented about this life. His reduced power, his weakened body, his dulled mind and, most of all, his enemy. If being forced to coexist with his lifelong enemy was not bad enough, then the several misunderstandings that arose from it were. Neve liked to think that his enemy had hardly changed. He was still as overly righteous, forceful and annoying as before. Following Neve around whilst sniffing in his business. Neve didn't mind this. He had long learnt how to hide his business. The problem came in when other people saw them.

His enemy was no longer a he. A fact she still didn't seem to get. Her actions were interpreted very differently.

"No, thank you"(N)

"Ahh, what a shame"(m)

Neve tried to bolt passed his mother. He had to get rid of that foul taste still in his mouth.

Though, it appeared his mother had different plans.

"My sweet boy"(m)

Before he already knew it, he was wrapped in her soft embrace.

"You're going to grow up to be such a fine young man"(m)

Like always, his mother's voice was very calm. She seemed to be, by nature, a very timid person. The air around her always felt like it was in a perpetually relaxed state.

Neve raised his hands and returned the hug.

She wouldn't let go unless he did.

"Go greet your dad. He's at the table, I'll join you in a short moment"(m)

Finally free of the embrace, Neve started to make his way to the dining room.

"I see your taste for eggs has returned?"(m)

"Uh... no"(N)

Neve heard a light chuckle as he stepped into the dining room.

'Damn it'

Sat at the head of a small four-seater table was a man. He wore simple clothing. A long brown shirt and dark pants. His dark blue hair contrasted his light blue eyes. Eyes that were set on Neve.

"Morning, son"(d)

"Good morning, dad"(N)

Neve took a seat opposite his father, enjoying the silence.

His new father was a man of few words. Something Neve greatly enjoyed. The pressure of always having to talk to people was tiresome.

The two sat in a comfortable silence while they waited.

"Here's a little something special for your big day"(m)

Neve's mother came carrying something.

On a large plate was a mound of cooked corpses.

Crab corpses.

"Do enjoy"(m)

The plate was set down right in front of the father-son pair.

Neve didn't know when it happened. He didn't know why it happened. But suddenly, the taste of this creature was otherworldly.

After his mother sat down, the family dug in.

This was their breakfast. The sea's wonders.

Not a lot of words were exchanged as they ate. 

It was enjoyable.

'Why does this taste so good?'

Neve gazed up at the now mostly hallow pile of corpses. It simply didn't make sense.

"You should get going"(m)

Neve reframed from sighing. She was right. If he didn't get moving his enemy would get rather annoying.

"Right"(N)

After going to the kitchen and taking a washcloth to clean his mouth and hands, Neve made his way to the front door.

"Best of luck son"(m)

Right before he pulled it, his mother called out. He turned to face her.

His father was also smiling.

"Thanks... I guess"(N)

Neve pulled open the door and lightly bumped into something.

"Oh, morning Cleo"(m)

She did not look happy.

 

"You're so lucky your parents were there..."(L)

Neve stared at the little girl walking beside him.

His enemy.

"Would you give it a rest already?"(N)

'I didn't even take that much'

Even if Neve wanted to, he couldn't physically bring himself to eat more than one.

"No! Don't ever touch my food again! Because of you I only got one! One!"(L)

Neve felt a headache start to come on. This shouting had been going on for far too long.

"I promise... If you dare ever enter my home again, I will break your entire body!"(L)

Neve stopped walking.

Such a promise would have been terrifying or at least felt threatening if his enemy had said it before. Now though? It didn't even register as an inconvenience.

A little girl promising to break your bones just didn't have the same effect as a God.

'Times truly have changed'

"Okay, no need to shout. I hear you loud and clear..."(N)

'Quite loud'

The frown worn by his enemy didn't lessen.

'Ugh'

"How about I give you something?"(N)

His enemy seemed to pause and think. She struggled with the idea for a hot minute before finally giving in and mumbling.

"It better be good"(L)

The walking resumed with noticeably less noise.

'What a lovely quiet'

Neve lifted his gaze to the sun.

It was a bright day.

Slowly lowering it, his eyes meet the back of his enemy head.

She was slightly in front of him. It looked like she still needed to cooldown.

Neve let out a sigh.

Even though the times had changed, his enemy was still the same. The promise his enemy gave was weak. He knew she would never follow through. She never had. She was just too soft.

"And just so you know, you will seat next to me. I won't let you get up to your old tricks alone"(L)

'Seriously? What can I even do now?'

Leo's concern was understandable, but unfound. While he might not have been a... decent person in his last life, it was not like he was actively doing something bad in this one.

"Why are you walking so slow? Are you trying to make us late? Come on, walk faster!"(L)

'Bossy like always-'

Before he could complete the thought, Leo swiftly turned around and yanked his hand. Dragging him forward.

'So impatient!' 

"I won't let you make us late. Today is too important!"(L)

Despite wanting to fight the motion, Neve didn't. They were actually beginning to run late from the way the sun was looking.

He couldn't have that.

For today, like his enemy said, was an important day.

It was their first day of school. 

6