Chapter 4 ‘A long day with my enemy’
192 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Neve>

Laid upon the beach side was a dainty house.

Made of weathered wood, its circular body held a welcoming form. It's thatched hat and wide-open entrances allowed for a cool calm atmosphere. An atmosphere perfect for learning.

"L-Leo you're, you're tearing my arm off!!"(N)

"Stop being so dramatic!"(L)

As the two approached the quaint home, a sign came into view. It simply read "From Fry to Fish" in faded red dye.

Leo stopped.

"As today is our very first day, I expect you to be on your very best behaviour"(L)

Neve felt the muscles on his face twitch. His enemy always tried to take it too far.

"I don't ever recall having to listen to you"(N)

Finally having enough, Neve wormed his hand out of his enemy's own.

"I'll behave however I see fit"(N)

There was a subtle change in the air. It felt like it got a tad bit warmer.

'Talk about behaving'

"I'm just saying this for your own good. It wouldn't hurt you to listen"(L)

'Sure, my own good'

Deep down Neve knew Leo was right. Miss Land, the only teacher in the village, had a very poor reputation among the kids. She was known as a rough person who handed out cruel punishments on a whim. Leo was right that it would serve Neve best to be on her good side but... it was just Neve didn't like the way it was said.

"Uh-huh, whatever you say"(N)

It was then that whisks of flame started to come off his enemy.

'Crap'

Summoning a thin protective water barrier on his skin, Neve prepared to defend himself.

"Fighting on the first day? That's definitely a strike..."(M.L)

"Argh!"(L)

"Ahh!" (N)

Suddenly Neve and his enemy laid on the ground. Both clutching their sides.

'Shit, shit!'

It had been a long time since anyone had managed to successfully surprise attack him. Fighting to look up and see who attacked him, Neve came face to face with a woman.

Miss land.

She was spotting her usual dark green long shorts and shirt.

"Not to mention disrupting an already active class... that alone deserves a second strike"(M.L)

'Damn it'

Miss Land walked up and grabbed Neve by the collar of his shirt.

"You know, it wouldn't kill you two to stop fighting for a second"(M.L)

As Neve was lifted off the ground, he turned his head in order to face his enemy. It seemed they were not fairing any better.

Trapped underneath the tone tan arms of the woman, they tried to make a case.

"W-we weren't really fighting... it was just a slight disagreement"(L)

His enemy tried to free themselves from the tight grasp while still making their case.

"Could you please remove the strike... it's still just the first day"(L)

The arm around his enemy's midsection lightly contracted eliciting a pained groan.

"Of course, not"(M.L)

With those closing remarks, Miss Land carried them towards the house.

'What a terrible start'

 

Neve managed to hold in his pained groan after unceremoniously being dropped.

"Oof!"(L)

The same couldn't be said about his enemy though.

"Cleo are you okay!?"

"Did the fall hurt?!"

"Miss Land! Your being too harsh!"

Neve watched in slight annoyance as all the children crowded around his enemy. Not one cared to check on his condition.

'Stupid brats'

It made sense why they didn't care though. Neve... Neve hadn't exactly been the friendliest to them. In fact, he had been a little hostile to them in more than one occasion. It also didn't help that his enemy would often leave playing with them to come watch him. The combination of a few bad interactions and what felt like blatant jealousy had made him the most unlikeable person in class.

"Calm down kiddos, no one was hurt"(M.L)

Miss Land's tired voice couldn't hide the slight annoyance behind it.

"Y-yea, I'm okay! Thank you for checking though!"(L)

After that quick confirmation, his enemy was smothered in greetings and hugs.

'Disgusting' 

"Okay kids, go sit on the mat so we may resume where we left off"(M.L)

None of the kids moved from the little circle they had formed around his enemy.

It didn't seem like they heard her.

The small smile on Miss Land's face didn't seem so happy.

Deciding not to continue being on Miss Land's bad side, Neve made towards the mat.

"Eem, excuse me guys. I need to pick a spot to sit really quickly"(L)

"No problem! You can sit with us!"

"Yeah! It'll fun!"

"Oh, ah... I already picked out a spot to sit. Sorry!"(L)

Neve sat at the far left of the wooden mat hoping not to attract attention... only to see his enemy politely push out of the crowd and make way to him.

'It never stops, huh?'

It hadn't for hundreds of years.

"Really?"(N)

"Yes, really"(L)

After his enemy sat down, the remaining kids standing up all went to take their seats.

"Okay, since today is all your first day, I will forgive you for not properly listening to me-"(M.L)

'She forgave them?!'

"-I will issue you a brief warning though..."(M.L)

Miss Land took a breath wherein she gathered herself.

"Those who do not follow instructions shall be issued steep punishments"(M.L)

Her words felt heavier than before. 

She was not joking.

Heck, some of the kids to the right had even shuffled away from her. This didn't bode well for Neve. What kind of punishment does a single strike incur?

"Okay, with that said. Let's continue learning"(M.L)

 

In a dainty house besides the beach.

A class was being held.

In the class, a group of three whispered amongst themselves. Not paying attention.

"Cleo, you have such a lovely dress! You should wear them more; they make you look super cute"

"Ah, you think so? Thank you, Elly"(L)

Neve couldn't help but smirk. The uncomfortable tone his enemy had was too funny.

"The way it perfectly matches with Neve's clothes is just so adorable, isn't it, Neve?"(E)

The smirk quickly faded.

If someone was to ask Neve who amongst Leo's assembly got on his nerves the most, he would quickly answer Elly. The little puffy black-haired girl was too smart for her age.

"Oh, shut up Elly. I don't need your words"(N)

"Ouch! Did you hear it, Cleo? He doesn't need my words..."(E)

The overtop sad voice and facial expressions didn't move Neve, but they moved Leo.

"Neve! I thought we had a deal?"(L)

"What deal? I never agree to anything... also keep your voice down"(N)

Looking through the corner of his eye, Neve could see Elly struggling to hold back her laughter.

'That little monster...'

Of course, she knew this would happen.

"What do you mean what deal!?"(L)

"Okay, okay. I'll keep the deal just quiet down"(N)

Neve never remembered ever agreeing to any such deal, but he would do anything to make Leo shut up.

"I know your just saying-"(L)

"Leo, Neve! That's strike two!"(M.L)

An odd tingle travelled up Neve's spine.

She sounded very... furious.

"I didn't know you two were so eager to make examples of yourselves!?"(M.L)

"Sorry-"(L)

"Meet me after class"(M.L)

Elly finally seemed to lose composure and burst out laughing.

"Bring your friend too"(M.L)

Elly's laugh died down rather fast.

'Serves her right'

 

The rest of the day went on rather uneventfully. 

Mostly.

While the class had gone out and learnt about the beauty of nature, today, Neve learned a lot about the randomness of nature. Like how waves seem to be attracted to his enemy or how fires can just randomly start on your clothes.

By the end of the lesson, Neve and Leo had somehow found themselves with two more strikes.

The both of them had been left standing together as the other kids went home or to play. Elly even got forgiven. Apparently, she had been behaving good for the rest of the day.

"Now, let's get to your punishments"(M.L)

Neve clutched his fist while looking down.

This had been a terrible day.

6