Chapter 5 ‘Suffering with my enemy’
163 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
A preface before you read. M.L = Miss Land, Miss Lumns = Miss Lumns

<Leo>

"Uh, hey Miss Lumns... I was wondering if you happened to have any extra work?"(N)

Leo cringed hard and looked down in order to hide his embarrassed expression.

Such a scene had been repeatedly playing out around the village for the entire evening.

'Just suck it up! This should be the last house!'

This was it. Their punishment.

They were tasked with randomly helping out people within the village. The tasks themselves were not something Leo found particularly bad or even punishing. In fact, such a scene of him and his enemy helping out was not uncommon. It was one of the few ways Leo found of getting back at him that was encouraged by his enemy's mom. No, the real punishing aspect came from the fact Miss Land was here.

It was painfully obvious to any outside observers that they were in trouble. That, unlike usual, they were being forced to work. Well... at least for Leo. Neve was kind of always forced, though Leo still bet he was feeling worse than normal about. After all, he was made to do all of the interactions to help him 'Get out of his shell' which would've been funny to Leo if not for the current circumstances. He just felt terrible instead.

"Oh, dear. On the first day already?"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn's eyes briefly scanned Neve's and Leo's own before settling on Miss Land's with a questioning gaze.

"Yes, it appears the children today are rather... spirited"(M.L)

Miss land's tired voice helped stir feelings of guilt.

Admittedly, things had gone out of hand rather quickly. After the class left the house, they strolled on the beach learning about the different types of shells that could be found and their uses. It was then that the aggression intensified. Leo was peacefully minding his own business picking shells when a random wave completely drenched him. Leo was surrounded by a group of kids. The wave only hit him. If it wasn't already obvious who was the culprit, then the fact that Neve was the only person present capable spelled it out.

At first Leo did nothing to retaliate. He held himself back and was even willing to let it slide. Let his enemy get this win. He didn't engage and didn't want to engage for one sole reason. He wanted to work off his first strike. From what the twin sisters had told him, Miss Land was generally lenient. It was only on the first few days was she very harsh. They believed she did this in order to set an example, but even then, most strikes could be revoked if a person behaved correctly. So, with this knowledge, Leo reframed from bringing anymore unwanted attention to himself. Merely heating his body to dry and pulling his hair back.

He wouldn't let his enemy get to him; he wouldn't engage. It was okay to get wet. It was just water; Leo could take care of it. Leo was totally fine getting a little wet... until he wasn't.

Finally fed up after the fourth wave, Leo went and told Miss Land. Though, unbeknownst to him, by the time he got to her most of the water had evaporated or mysteriously removed itself. He had no proof. After failing to articulate himself, Leo went back to his group. They were all willing to vouch but Leo didn't take them up on their offer. Neve was his enemy; Leo could deal with him by himself. And so, Leo waited for the fifth wave to come. When it did finally show up, Leo felt a mixture of righteous fury and cold happiness. Neve's time had come.

Leo didn't make it even half-way to Miss Land when the combination of his body's own heat and his enemy actively pulling out the water from his body destroyed all available evidence. In what could be described as a small moment of weakness, Leo turned around and attacked his enemy. It was a reaction that was poorly timed. Leo lacked the evil cunning of his enemy to hide or stage attacks. Miss Land had turned around in that exact moment to catch Leo on top of Neve. Leo's fingertips were coated in deep red flames while Neve's fist was submerged in a pool of water.

That was the way they earned their second strike.

The rest of the day had continued with in such a fashion. From the shore to forest. They kept at it. It was quite simply a miracle they didn't earn more strikes.

"Well, I guess that's convenient for me. I do have a task that is in need of young hands"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn exchanged a look with Miss Land. One Leo couldn't really follow.

"I'll be off then"(M.L)

Miss Land quickly shifted her sight to Leo and Neve.

"I believe I will see some improvement starting tomorrow?"(M.L)

Leo and Neve mutely nodded their heads in agreement. With that, Miss Land let out a sigh and turned around. She took a couple of steps before stopping and saying.

"You better"(M.L)

'Are we really that troublesome...'

Miss Land's voice always sounded tired when interacting with them and that's not mentioning her repeated sighs.

"Alright children, come in"(Miss Lumn)

With Miss Land gone, Leo could only hope they finished in time. Getting home late because he was finishing up a punishment would be a new low for him.

 

"Now all you got to do is dust them"(Miss Lumn)

Leo stared at the bookshelf. Shocked dotted his face.

"M-Miss Lumn... where, where did you get all these books?"(L)

While books were not uncommon within the village, they were still a rarity. For a regular person to have even more than one was an oddity.

Miss Lumn gave a short laugh.

"Well, when one lives long enough. Certain things tend to accumulate"(Miss Lumn)

Leo turned and looked at the old lady. Her piercing silver eyes, which so happened to match her curly hair, seemed to regain some of their former youth.

"Here you go, loves"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn's dark wrinkled hands passed Leo a feather duster and Neve a cloth with a bucket.

"Do be quick, you shouldn't make you parents worry for you now"(Miss Lumn)

Deciding she was finished, Miss Lumn left the room. The door still half ajar.

Leo did a quick scan of the room. It was a pretty typical wooden room though bare. Besides the bookshelf, it boasted nothing special. Only two rocking chairs occupying each corner of the room. Typical old people stuff.

His enemy gave a low huff before plainly stating,

"Look at where your buffoonery got us"(N)

Leo stared at Neve with an incredulous face.

'You cause this!'

Instead of saying that though, he decided to take a more diplomatic approach.

"Let's just finish this so we can go home"(L)

His words were still laced with anger, but that anger would not help him now. It would just lead to another pointless fight.

Without any further need for communication, Leo took the left side of the shelf while his enemy took the right.

Silently, they got to work. Both sitting on the ground.

 

'This, this isn't working'

Leo stared at his small pile of five books. Despite dusting as best as he could, the books still had visible dirt.

He looked over at Neve. He was still on his first book. It appeared the excessive dust he hadn't dusted away initially wasted his time. His single book was cleaner than Leo's own, but it had taken him far longer.

'This can't go on'

If it did, they would be leaving by tomorrow morning.

"Leo... I know you are currently mad at me-"(N)

"Mad?"(L)

Leo was furious.... and yet he was also being immature. He knew it, but he couldn't help himself. Today had been a really frustrating day. It had been their first day.

Neve kept quiet for a minute before he continued,

"Sorry..."(N)

 Leo looked at his piles of books then Neve's. He got up and picked his own books then walked towards Neve. He sat down next to him without meeting his gaze.

And, like that the two continued to work. With Leo using the duster to take out the heavy dust particles and Neve wiping down what remained.

 

Time flew as they worked.

"We're almost done!"(L)

Leo looked at the last two books. They were hanging at the very top of the bookshelf. A place neither he nor his enemy could reach.

"We need a ladder for that"(N)

Leo got up while Neve finished placing back the last book on the lower shelfs.

"No problem!"(L)

Leo left the room in search of Miss Lumn. 

Stepping out the door, he made way to the only other segmented part of the house. The room of Miss Lumn. Giving a light knock he waited for a response that never came.

"Miss Lumn?"(L)

Taking a quick peek from the slightly opened door, Leo saw Miss Lumn... fast asleep.

"There's no ladder but I have an idea"(L)

After Leo walked back to the room containing the bookshelf, he made a short announcement.

"Oh, great. How wonderful"(N)

Ignoring the sarcasm, Leo made his way towards his enemy who was stood facing the bookshelf.

Suddenly dropping low, Leo made a grab for his enemy's ankles and lifted over him his shoulders.

"W-WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!"(N) 

"GRAB, GRAB THE BOOKS!"(L)

Leo had grossly overestimated just how much his body could safely lift. They were falling. Falling backwards.

With quick mobility, Neve managed to shift their combined mass forward. Now they were falling forward. 

"Got them!"(N)

It was great Neve managed to get the books. It was a shame it didn't kill their momentum.

Both of them slammed into the bookshelf dislodging some books.

As they sat dazed on the ground, Neve turned and faced Leo.

"Y-You moron, we could have just boosted ourselves and jumped!"(N)

'Oh... oh yeah'

After placing back the fallen books and cleaning the new ones, Leo and Neve were left with one problem. Accessing the top shelf again. While it was true they could've used their powers to reinforce their bodies, they were both fresh out of any energy. Fighting all day long would do that to you.

Leo gave a sideways glance to his enemy.

"No!"(N)

At that moment, the sound of a door opening rang.

"Ah, you children are already done? How lovely"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn's eyes travelled to the books in Neve's hand.

"We're almost, we just need to put those back"(L)

Miss Lumn studied the deep red and dark blue book for a second before a small smile drew on her face.

"Those, don't worry about those"(Miss Lumn)

Taking the books from Neve's hands, a reflective glow shone in her eyes.

"How about you children take these as a reward for all your hard work?"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn passed the books to them.

"Really?"(N)

"Sure, why not? Us old folk got little left to learn from them"(Miss Lumn)

"T-Thank you!!"(L)

"Thanks..."(N)

No one was unaware of the pricelessness of knowledge. It seemed today wasn't truly terrible.

"Do be sure not to tell Miss Land. She would throw a whole fit"(Miss Lumn)

Miss Lumn laughed to herself as they walked to the front door.

"Take care children"(Miss Lumn)

 

"I felt like that went well"(L)

The two were walking back home. Books in hand. The dark of night was in its beginnings.

Neve gave back a grunt of affirmation.

"We were stuck there much longer than I thought"(L)

Another grunt of affirmation was given.

Leo stopped.

"What's wrong?"(L)

"Nothing"(N)

Neve didn't stop walking.

'Okay then'

The odd atmosphere persisted until they made it back.

"Bye... I guess"(L)

Neve didn't so much as blink in Leo's direction.

'Whatever'

Leo didn't care much though; he was just glad he could put this day behind him.

Running to his front door, Leo pulled its handle and opened it... or should have at least. The door didn't badge.

'No... not today!'

Of all the times his parents decided to be out of the house. It had to be the one time he left his own keys inside.

Leo banged his head against the wall and slowly sank to the floor. His silly dress didn't contain any pockets. He wasn't able to carry his keys around like normal. 

After moaning for a short moment, Leo got up and looked towards Neve's door. He was not staying outside when he was this tired.

"Ah, h-hey... may I come in?"(L)

Neve, who finally seemed out of his musings, turned back and looked at Leo with tired eyes. He held his own door handle and was just about to head in. With a frown he slowly answered.

"Argh, fine.... Alright"(N)

Leo's eyes lit up as soon as the begrudging agreement was given. He ran up to Neve eager to finally get some rest.

Though Neve's frown deepened as he pulled the door open, he didn't say anything. It seemed he too was too exhausted.

The door swung outward with an audible creak. Revealing a dark space.

'Is there no one?'

It was a little odd. Normally, if one of the pairs parents were out doing their secretive activities, one would stay back to watch Neve and Leo.

Leo took a couple of steps forward... only to have a hand block his way. Leo turned his head back and met the eyes of his enemy.

Silent communication was made.

Both slowly retraced their steps until suddenly the door slammed shut behind them.

'An attack?!'

Quickly summoning a small ball of flame, Leo prepared to battle.

"""""Surprise!!!!""""""

The dark space suddenly flooded with light as fire found its way to the hanging lanterns.

Before Leo had time to process the sudden change, he found him, and his enemy trapped in a tight hug. One given by his dear sister Maya.

"How was your first day you cute little eggs!?"(M)

5