Chapter 6 ‘A night with my enemy’
151 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Leo>

Last night had been tiring.

That single thought consumed Leo's mind as he made his way home from his second day.

A party had been thrown in celebration for him and his enemy's first day. Both their families had put it together and, if Leo was being honest, it was rather fun. However, it would have even been better if his enemy didn't cut it short by running away to his room halfway. The guy had no social stamina. 

'How did he even raise an army?'

Leo looked to his side with a questioning gaze.

"What?"(N)

It must be a feat only his former God self was capable of.

Leo smiled at the idea.

"Nothing"(L)

The distant noise of kids playing sounded as they walked.

"Tch, why are you following me?"(N)

Leo nearly tripped while walking.

The question his enemy asked might have sounded odd if he had asked it in any other circumstances. Leo, after all, basically followed him almost everywhere. Leo wanted to watch his enemy. He wanted to make sure he wasn't plotting anything. But, as much as Leo wanted to watch his enemy, there were times when life interfered. Times like now. Normally, Leo would spend a couple of hours a day playing with the village kids. It wasn't something he really wanted to do. He had to watch his enemy after all, but he struggled saying no to the eager faces.

"T-To watch you of course!"(L) 

The click of his enemy's tongue elicited a slight wince from Leo.

While he didn't lie, his response wasn't entirely true. Leo wasn't only following his enemy out of concern for a reason. For you see, today was a special day. A day to celebrate. It was the harvest festival night celebrations and that meant one thing...

Dancing.

The harvest festival celebrations are held about every four months. They are held in times when the weather is beautiful, and the food is plenty. With the simple purpose of bringing the community a little closer together, they are a time almost everyone looks forward to. Everyone is expected to come with empty stomachs, their most flowy clothes, and a bright demeanour. It was a time Leo used to love. Keywords, used to.

Ever since the last two festivals, when Leo became old enough to participate in the dance, he has been continually approached by the other kids to dance. It was plain odd and simply something that shouldn't have happened. From what Leo gathered after his parents' talk about it, you are only supposed to ask someone special to you to dance. Someone really close to you. These kids didn't seem to understand that. They just kept asking Leo even after he tried to explain it to them.

Don't get Leo wrong, he neither liked nor dislike dancing. He just wanted the kids to think more clearly on who to ask.

"I-I'll find you at the usual place, okay?"(L)

"Sure..."(N)

Leo avoided the suspicious gaze sent his way. Knowing his enemy, Leo could easily predict his ignorance. He didn't really pay attention to this stuff. He likely didn't know what was going to happen tonight. His enemy didn't spend time with any of the kids besides Elly who Leo begged not to say anything. He didn't need his enemy to know of the dance thing and make fun of him. So, besides his parents, he had no way of knowing.

Leo watched as his enemy turned around and walked into his home. Them finally reaching their place. His whole body hoped his enemy's parents wouldn't say anything. They hadn't so far.

 

"Ah, someone's home early"(m)

Stepping into his home, Leo paused.

'Why... why are they all here?'

It was weird. Today was when the harvest celebrations were taking place. Knowing his family, they should be out helping with final preparations. Not chilling on sofa.

"H-Hey! I didn't think you'll be home!?"(L)

Meeting them now might make meeting up with his enemy later much harder.

Walking into the living room, Leo prepared himself for the usual greetings.

"Ah! You smell so nice!"(M)

Trapped in his sister's embrace, Leo returned the hug without bringing up the comment.

"Uh, that's enough now"(L)

A little bark down alerted Leo of his faithful companion. The little red ball of fluff was happily rubbing against his legs.

"Just a little more!"(M)

"Maya... come on! Let go!"(L)

Leo started pushing himself away in an attempt to free himself.

"Oh, don't be like that. I know you love these"(M)

Leo felt his face flush at the reminder of one of his most embarrassing memories in this life.

"That was a different time! I don't anymore!"(L)

The memory of the day had been burned particularly hard in his mind. The reason to which was simple. Leo had never cried as hard as he did that day.... The day his family hadn't hugged him for the entire day.

"Now, now, May. Let your sister go. You shouldn't force these things"(m)

Leo felt his sister's grip gradually weaken until he was finally free.

"I know, I know"(M)

Maya walked over to the fireplace and then proceeded to lay down on the hide carpet. She stared off into the empty fireplace without saying anything further.

It... it looked like she was sulking.

Leo's father let out a light chuckle.

"Don't mind her. She's a little restless from being stuck here all day with us"(f)

Maya was supposed to be doing her apprenticeship at the bakery. Her being here especially on such a day was abnormal. 

"I worked twice as hard this whole week. I wanted to show them just how useful I could be so I could help out today..."(M)

Maya's voice took a more sombre turn and, without looking away from the empty fireplace, she spoke,

"They told me to take a break today..."(M)

'Ah, no wonder she's here'

It makes sense. All her friends were likely still going to work today leaving her with nothing to do.

Leo picked Merry and nuzzled her quickly before planting a kiss on the pup's head.

'Bad luck'

That all said though, it still didn't explain why his parents were here.

After placing the puppy down, Leo walked over to greet his parents.

"Ah, how's my little girl?"(f)

 

Leo smacked his lips together. They felt dry.

'Gosh, all that talking messed my mouth...' 

Despite thinking that, Leo couldn't help but smile. He really loved his new family. He loved the time they spent together. He loved everything about them. From their nonsensical talks to their odd quirks. It felt like he was trapped in some lovely dream. A dream he hoped would never end.

"Oh, damn! Look at the sun"(f)

Leo's father jumped off the couch, his short light red hair flowing as his green eyes widened.

"You're going?"(L)

Leo's father gave him an apologetic smile before roughing his hair.

"Unfortunately, I'm supposed to be on a short break. Cooking duty and all that"(f)

Leo's father rubbed the back of his head with a bit of a defeated expression.

"Hopefully, Hamish won't be too mad"(f)

The mention of his enemy's father caused Leo to stop and think. His enemy's father didn't look like the type that could get mad.

"Alright, see you later"(f)

Leo watched as his father made his way towards the door. A part of him desperately wanting to pull him back. To tell him more about his day. To tell him more about class or even the temporary truce with his enemy. To tell him more about anything that would make him stay.

"Bye!"(L)

"See you, dear"(m)

Leo ignored that part. He shouldn't be too greedy.

"Maya, you coming? I bet they could use a taste tester about now...."(f)

Maya looked at their father with an unamused expression until he continued.

"One that is preferably relaxed"(f)

"Oh, OH! Right, coming!"(M)

Maya got up and bolted out the door their father had already opened.

"Geez, haha"(f)

Leo watched as his father closed the door with a smile.

"Almost forgot to say goodbye!"(M)

Maya had run back and forced open the already closed door.

"Bye, sis!"(L)

"See you soon, dear"(m)

Maya briefly locked eyes with Leo before grinning and shutting the door.

'W-What was that about?'

Up until this day Leo's sister was still an enigma. Just like the rest of his family. Trying to piece the meaning behind her actions was pointless.

"Come closer, darling"(m)

Leo gazed at his mother's inviting face. The tension that had been hidden within his body finally completely dissipating. As much as Leo enjoyed the conversation with his family, there was a certain topic he had been hoping to avoid. A topic, that by some miracle, they hadn't ended up talking about. The dance. Having to justify why exactly he was not going would've been difficult. His family didn't really get his enemy or his possible goals. They wouldn't understand why he would have to watch him.

Leo scooted closer to his mother who was sat on the opposite side of the couch. She patted her closed laps. Sensing her intentions, Leo laid his head on her lap. Eyes closed.

"Wow, you have grown so much"(m)

Leo felt his mother play with his hair.

"It feels like just yesterday I could carry you with one arm"(m)

'So glad those days are finally over'

Leo resisted the urge to shiver. Being a baby was not bad within itself, but it was something simply not for Leo. The faded memories of the time were something he wished to completely forget. The inability to even use the restroom by himself made the whole experience unenjoyable. Though... despite all that, he was still glad it gave his mother precious memories.

A quiet descended between the mother daughter duo.

It was slowly filled with a soft humming. A gentle and sweet sound.

An atmosphere of calm and relaxation crashed down on Leo. The lovely sound was reminiscent of the days before he started gaining some of his memories. The only truly peaceful era in his existence.

"So... are you ready to talk about it?"(m)

"Mhmm?"(L)

Leo heard his mother sigh.

"Are you ready to talk about the dance?"(m)

Leo felt his blood run cold at her words.

He should've known she wouldn't forget.

4