Chapter 67:The king of kings
228 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ethan left the palace in disguise and made his way towards Aphrodite's shop. Paintings and drawings featuring Ethan had become quite popular among the nobles, and even some commoners could recognize Third Prince Ethan when they saw him. So he had to disguise himself. As Ethan walked through the streets of the capital with his hood Pulled down, he noticed how much the capital had developed and changed. His father was indeed a competent king who had put the spoils of war to good use, and since the palace treasury was already overflowing, he had lowered taxes. The people of Asina Kingdom had begun to live in abundance, and even the lower classes were starting to live relatively well. Of course, with the improvement in living standards for the lower class, the highest earners had become the prostitutes and pimps. One of the biggest mistakes a king could make is to ban prostitution, but fortunately, Richard had not made such a mistake. Instead, he saw it as an opportunity for the kingdom's benefit and ordered that prostitution be conducted only in tax-paying areas.

As Ethan continued to explore the capital, he came across the shop where his childhood memories resided. Above the shop hung a beautifully decorated sign that read "Aphrodite's Shop." Ethan entered and saw a beautiful woman with pink and blue eyes. That woman was Aphrodite's Big sister, and Ethan approached her.

"How can I help you, sir?" she said.

"I'm Ethan. I've come to see Aphrodite," Ethan said.

"Ah, my apologies, Your Majesty. I didn't recognize you," she said. At that moment, a handsome man appeared from behind and put his arm around Aphrodite's big sister.

"Darling, who is this man, and why are you talking to him like this?" he asked.

"Shut up, Albert. My apologies, Your Majesty. Please forgive his ignorance" seeing her wife's attitude, Albert looked at Ethan and swallowed.

"Not problem.  just tell me where Aphrodite is now" Ethan said calmly.

"She's at the back, Your Majesty" she said.

Ethan nodded slightly and walked away from the counter towards the back of the shop. As Ethan walked, he recalled the beautiful memories he had spent here, and finally, he saw the spot where Aphrodite always sat. Aphrodite was sitting in her usual spot, but now she was an adult. Her body had grown, and she had become more feminine, but she was still there and reading something with interest. Ethan approached her from behind and hugged her tightly.

"Ahhh!" Aphrodite was startled by this sudden embrace, but when she turned around and saw Ethan, she recognized him immediately despite his disguise, and her fear quickly disappeared, replaced by a sense of security. A moment later, she returned the hug, and they remained that way for a few minutes, enjoying each other's scent. Ethan then kissed Aphrodite's neck and sat down on the chair beside her.

"I've heard you've come to the capital and thought you'd come earlier" Aphrodite said, puffing her cheeks.

"You must have heard that I also came with the Empress of Tamerid. But today I managed to leave the palace, my dear, and I had to do it secretly"  Ethan said.

"In that case, I forgive you,my dear" Aphrodite said, squeezing Ethan's hands tightly. Ethan had spent years with Aphrodite, and whenever he saw her holding his hand first, he knew there was always a problem. Ethan took Aphrodite's hand in both of his and looked into her eyes.

"Aphrodite, what's wrong?" he asked.

Aphrodite was surprised by this question because she realy did have a problem bothering her.

"It's nothing, Ethan" she said.

"Aphrodite, I've been with you since childhood, and I can sense your emotions even without you saying anything. Now, will you tell me what's wrong?" Ethan said.

Aphrodite smiled at these words and felt genuinely relieved. Ethan's understanding of her to this extent made her feel good, and she actually wanted to pour her heart out.

"It's not that important, Ethan... Just... I don't know," she couldn't complete her sentence and started looking at her nails.

"Just tell me, and don't worry. I'll listen no matter what," Ethan said, holding Aphrodite's hands again.

"Well, I don't know, Ethan. My big sister has a very happy marriage, and I also want to marry you and start a family, but there are so many women around you, Ethan. I'm friends with all the girls individually and I know they're very nice people, but I'm also in love with you, Ethan.  Sometimes, no almost every night, I just want you to belong to me and imagine that. I know it's a bit selfish  but I just... want a happy home," she said, She finished what she said and then drinking water from the glass on the table, looking at Ethan.

Aphrodite had concern in her eyes, and she was very curious about what Ethan would say. Ethan's silence caused her even more worry, and she began to bite her lip until it started to bleed.

In reality, Ethan had only been silent for a few seconds, but for Aphrodite, those few seconds felt like months.

"I understand, and I'm truly sorry. Aphrodite, you deserve a happy family and a good husband, and I don't know if I can provide that... but all the women I have fallen in love with in my life have come into my life without me doing anything and frankly I am happy with that. It's now incredibly hard for me to leave them and choose only you. But if you stay with me, I promise to do everything in my power to make you happy and to build a happy family together" Ethan said sincerely.

Hearing these words, Aphrodite held Ethan's hand with fear. "Ethan, this was just a small thing that bothered me, and you misunderstood what I meant. I only said it because I wanted to be honest, but it's not that big of a problem, and I want to be with you no matter what" Aphrodite said.

"Are you with me, then?" he asked.

Without a second thought, Aphrodite said, "I'm with you all the way."

"I'm glad to hear that. Oh also, and there's something I want to tell you, and I don't want you to tell anyone, okay?" Ethan said.

"Yes, of course. You can trust me" Aphrodite said.

"We're going to go to war with the Alpshar Kingdom soon" Ethan said.

Aphrodite was surprised by these words. Even though she had seen Ethan go to war and return before, this time was different. Aphrodite had even heard of Alpshar's reputation, and all she had heard was that he was a monster.

"Ethan, it's too dangerous. Why does your father want to fight someone like him? Couldn't he be friends with him?" she asked.

"Aphrodite, do you think we don't think what you say? It's Alpshar himself who wants the war, and my father is no longer inclined towards peace. Also, we have allied with other countries, and we will win probably this war" Ethan said.

"I know but I don't know. I have a bad feeling about this, Ethan" Aphrodite said, genuinely feeling uneasy.

"Aphrodite, when we fought the Avarya Kingdom, you also felt bad and even begged me not to go, but nothing happened. It'll be the same this time" Said Ethan, holding Aphrodite's hands tightly.

"Also, I have good news. After this war, I will become king, and I will sit on the throne with my father's support" he said.

Aphrodite was astonished and hugged Ethan tightly. "Ethan, I'm so happy for you, but how do you know this?" she asked.

"My father himself told me" Ethan said.

"Hehehe! congratulations, Ethan. I'm sure you'll be a great king. No, you'll be the best king in the world. Let's celebrate this" Aphrodite said, happily embracing Ethan. The reason Ethan shared this important and secret with Aphrodite was to increase his trust in himself and enhance their relationship. Thus, Aphrodite would think that Ethan loves her enough to confide in her with such an important secret.

But Unaware that there was someone else listening to their entire conversation, they went to a restaurant to celebrate together.

Hours later...

Ethan returned to the palace and learned that there was a banquet being held. The reason for this banquet was a friendship treaty and a mutual trade agreement with the Tamerid Empire. As Ethan entered the banquet hall, all eyes turned to him, but he walked towards the main table without caring. He stood behind Duke Eddart, who was close to the king and Anastasia, and waited quietly. Understanding the situation, Duke Eddart gritted his teeth and stood up from his chair, allowing Ethan to take his place.

"You're late, my son" Richard said.

"I was with someone quite important" Ethan said.

Richard leaned in close to Ethan's ear and said, "I know who you were with, and I can definitely say she Wasn't that important."

Ethan was about to respond when the door opened, and a group entered, wearing the emblem of the Alpshar kingdom.

"We are ambassadors of Alpshar, the great of the great and the king of kings. We bring here a letter from our great king to a jester who thinks he is a king and to his dogs." 

8