C30: Without Comrades
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lan Jue returned to the lecture hall and told Juimin and the others about Rucheng and that she was leaving. 

Juimin frowned from beginning to end. He wanted to run after her, but Lan Jue’s return gained the instructor’s attention. He couldn’t leave now.

*

After the lesson ended, Juimin rushed out of the lecture hall but stopped in his tracks when he saw someone wearing a red robe from the corner of his left eye. He turned to her and was surprised to see that it was Rucheng.

He walked up to her and held her arms. Looking at her, he asked, “Rucheng, you’re here?”

“In the flesh,” she said with a nod of her head and a grin.

He pulled her in for a hug, surprising her and the onlookers, but the gesture made her feel a tinge of warmth in her heart.

She quickly pushed him away, collecting herself, and asked, “What are you doing?”

“I missed you,” he said with his emotions evident on his face.

Feeling embarrassed, she asked, “So why didn’t you come see me?”

“I was busy,” he answered sadly.

Rucheng scoffed, “I guess I’m not that important to you then.”

He shook his head with a smile at her tease and said, “Let’s go eat, so we can catch up.”

She looked at his friends and nodded, asking, “Are they coming?”

“Can we?” Lan Jue asked with a grin.

Juimin was reluctant, especially since they offended Rucheng last time. It may seem like he had forgiven them, but inside, he was still angry about it.

He nodded his head slowly, saying, “As long as you mind your manners.”

The group was glad they weren’t brushed off. They were eager to know this Rucheng that was apparently transmigrated to this world. In fact, they wanted to go to see for themselves if Juimin was imagining all of this or if she was lying.

Since Juimin wanted to go out to eat, he was left with the task of finding them a restaurant and, surprisingly, he didn’t need to think long about it.

Walking into a private room, Rucheng couldn’t get over how extravagant it was.

Juimin stared at her with a smile. From the looks of things, he chose the correct location.

“You like?” He asked.

She looked at him and smiled with a nod of her head. “Mn, it’s my first time here.”

Juimin sat down and patted the seat beside him for her to sit.

She stared at the seat, then looked at the group of men who were taking their seats. Her eyes brightened, and she quickly snatched Qing Heng’s seat, pushing him out of the way.

Qing Heng almost tripped over the other chair and glared at her. They all saw that Juimin gestured her to sit beside him, so why did she push him out of the way and take his seat?

He sat down beside Juimin, who was glaring at Rucheng but not voicing his displeasure.

“Sister-in-law, to be honest with you, we had all intentions of finding you after class,” Lan Jue said, diverting the attention.

Rucheng had a green plum in her mouth and almost choked on it. Swallowing, she looked at him and asked, “What? Why?”

“Because I overheard the conversation you had with Wol Ryeong,” he said.

Rucheng looked at the handsome man for a moment, recalling the conversation she had with Wol Ryeong, and couldn’t recall if she saw anyone that could have eavesdropped on their conversation.

Not saying a word, she nodded her head, indicating that she didn’t care.

“So it’s true then?” Juimin asked in disappointment.

Rucheng pursed her lips, then raised a brow. “So, why were you coming to find me?”

“Where do you plan ongoing and for how long? I’ve already been without you for half a week and what if…”

“What if Lan Jue didn’t overhear our conversation?” She completed it.

He nodded his head. “Were you going to leave without telling me?” He asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, “I don’t know, but I don’t think so.”

Before he could ask his next question, there was a knock. “The food has been served.”

“Come in,” Juimin grumbled.

Rucheng stared at this man, finding him very cute. But that’s not what she needed right now. “Even if I wouldn’t tell you I’m leaving, you’re the first one I’d come to find on my return.”

His eyes brightened with hope. “You, you would?”

“Mn,” she nodded her head and took the pin out from her hair, making it flow down to her shoulders, “You gave me this treasure. I must return it.”

Juimin was dispirited yet again, “And here I thought you cared about me.” 

“Oh, but I do. Why else would I tell you to stay away from me?” she said. 

“Alright, alright,” Qing Heng said to stop the conversation. He placed a piece of meat on Rucheng’s plate, then in Juimin’s saying, “If I knew that the conversation would turn out like this, I wouldn’t have bothered coming.” 

“It’s nothing new,” Juimin mumbled as he shoved the meat in his mouth. 

Rucheng sighed inwardly and recalled her mother’s words, ‘Be nice to him. The boy cares about you.’ 

Shaking her head, she said, “I’m only going away for a bit. I don’t know how long, but my stepfather estimated that we’d be gone for over a month.” 

“To where?” Juimin asked. 

She scrunched her face, trying to think about what Gwanliin had said, but she just couldn’t recall it correctly. “It’s some place in the mountains of Lian. Like a hot spring that can restore one’s vitality, but only that the water will be cold.” 

The group didn’t know what she was talking about, but Lan Jue had some understanding. “Don’t you mean the Lake of Frozen Time?” He asked. 

Rucheng snapped her fingers, surprised and happy, “Yes, that place. Have you been there?” 

He shook his head, “No. I’ve only heard about merchants talk about it.” 

She nodded her head with understanding then remember, “That’s right Juimin said you’re a merchant’s son like Wol Ryeong.” 

Lan Jue felt embarrassed. “I only know a bit. If you do need help to find some things or information, I wouldn’t mind helping you.” 

Picking up the chopsticks, she started eating as she thought out loud, “I wonder why.” 

0