Chapter 6: Veiled Dreams – Part 3.
26 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Having seen the evidence collected from Homeland Security and how they defined it, Ellie frowned. “They blew up four trucks to intentionally stop EMS from reaching the people being attacked.  I don’t like admitting that Angelie was there, and in fact attacked the people coming out.  They destroyed the place, that’s what terrorists do.  Fear and confusion.”

Clasping her hands in front of her mouth and shaking her head side to side, Tatum took a minute before speaking. “The government couldn’t prove any of it.  Let’s have a small review.  You claimed the trucks were blown up.  That is incorrect.  They were potable water trucks, with the air let out of the tires and set on fire.  Tried as they might, the government couldn’t link a single person to the four trucks.”  She shrugged. “Might want to check your facts before making assumptions.”  Tatum flipped one of the kyanite stones through her fingers, “You said Angelie attacked the place, I take it to mean you are talking about Phantasmagoria.” Delighted to see Ellie nod and grab another pastry, Tatum disclosed more. “When was the last time that a terrorist attack spared innocent people?  Left the building that was supposedly attacked in one piece? I mean minimal damage.  A single hole in the roof and a couple doors.”  Fluidly waving her hands as though weaving a tale, she kept going. “The building is pretty much all windows.  All that was found was a bunch of bones and water.”

“Strange.”  Agent Miller closed her eyes and used her limited eidetic memory to recall what she’d seen while studying the files Sarah had provided.  When Ellie recalled most of the conversation as well as the grainy images, she took the time to look beyond Angelie leading a group into Phantasmagoria. “You’re right.  I remember the windows being in place from the images I have seen.”  She opened her eyes and sighed, “Very strange.”

Sliding her chair back and standing up, Tatum walked over to Ellie and leaned close. “Now you are asking why, or at least wondering why.  Keep asking the strange questions, and you’ll get strange answers.”  Swapping to the other ear Tatum whispered, “Not all strange things are necessarily wrong.  Kinda fits your new assignment, right?”  Speaking more soothingly than she’d done before, Tatum gripped the kyanite and added, “You are so close Ellie.  Closer than you think, which could be the kiss of death.”  Tatum purred lightly, “Feel free to take a few scones with you.  Today will be a good day for you, may fortune shine on your discoveries.  Carry love on your shoulder today, Angelie is with you, Ellie.”  Tatum took a step back and tossed the two rocks back where they were then touched Ellie on the nose. “Boop.”

Discovering a new love for the triangle treat, Ellie looked up at Tatum as she blinked away a few thoughts of Angelie. “Do you mind if I take a few more?  I have a feeling that today will be long and productive, so I might not have time to eat.”

“Feel free, Agent Miller.”  Tatum pointed back through the house, "Be sure to pick up your things before you leave.”  She paused, “You have been a lovely guest, come by anytime you’d like.”  Tatum laughed, “Next time you bring the wine.  I am getting bored with tea.”  She winked.

 


 

Driving her oversized cruiser black government police cruiser, Agent Miller made her way to the small Petersburg police station.  Twisting her dark gray blazer from the hanger in the backseat, Ellie quickly shimmied into the garment and affixed her FBI badge to the small front pocket.  Reviewing the list of things she wanted to follow up on in her head, Ellie slipped her leather satchel over her shoulder and headed to the main entrance.

Greeted by an older sergeant, Ellie walked up and presented her badge and inquired about the records office.  Once she’d signed the visitors log, the kind officer pointed her straight down a hallway painted pea green.  Walking the old and musty-smelling concrete hallway, Ellie made a few rights as instructed and saw the old wooden sign that combined both the clerk of court and city records in the same space.  Crossing the open doorway, Ellie felt like she’d stepped a little back in time due to the simple way that the main desk was organized with a small pencil sign-in sheet and a paper number system.   Following the common sense instructions, Ellie had finished signing her name when an older man came around from a small cubicle that didn’t fit with the rest of the office's decor.

“Good afternoon.”  He waved his hand dismissively. “No need to take the number.”  He laughed, “It isn’t exactly overflowing.  I think we’ve been on number one hundred twenty-five for a good six weeks now.”

Content to leave the number in place, Ellie let out a light chuckle. “I won’t be the one to break the streak.” Handing the gentleman her badge, Ellie introduced herself. “Special Agent Ellie Miller.”  She waited for the balding man to nod and hand back her credentials, “I was hoping to get a look at the records for a couple of cases.”  She spotted the man’s little name badge, “Can you help me out, Noah?”

“It would be my pleasure, Agent Miller.”  Noah stepped closer to the desk and watched Ellie scribble a few case numbers on a piece of paper from memory. “I don’t think I have ever seen anyone do that.  You must have a photographic memory.”

Handing the slip of paper to Noah, Ellie brushed her red hair from her eyes. “I don’t know about that.  I guess I remember it from studying the federal files.”

Poking lightly at the three strings of letters and numbers, Noah laughed. “Oh, I know these.  You are in luck, Agent Miller.”  He paused, “We keep most of the archival items with the library, secure in the basement.”  Handing back Ellie her small note, Noah beamed with pride. “These were scheduled for pickup tomorrow evening.”  He winked, “Let me get your badge number in the system and I will let you back to look at the boxes.”

“Boxes?”  Ellie inquired. “I was hoping for the interviews and possibly some water sample results.” Curious as to why Noah didn’t take down the number before, Ellie passed her badge back to him. “I honestly thought you were going to take down the number before.”

Recognizing the confusion on Agent Miller’s face, Noah waved his hand to get Ellie to put away the badge. “I wasn’t clear.  My apologies.” Hunched over and typing furiously on his keyboard Noah punched in her credentials, “I had the number in my head, I just needed to get it in the computer.”

Concluding that the incident between herself and Noah was all due to stress, Ellie conceded, “Oh, that’s fine.  I get inquisitive.”  She laughed to lighten the mood, “I guess it comes with the territory.”

Roughly a minute later Noah pressed a small button and the door that led further back in the office popped open. “All set Agent Miller.  You have clearance for everything.”  Waiting for Ellie to come through the door, Noah made his way through the small maze of office spaces and reached a room with a red metal door. “I know this might seem strange given that the rest of the city looks run down.”  He pointed to the hand-sized pad to the left of the door. “Press your hand and it will read your palmprint and fingerprint that you have on file.” Serving as a witness, Noah watched when Ellie pressed her hand to the pad. “There are about twenty-five boxes in there.  When the case was active, there was just so much to process that the district attorney wanted a simple way to organize all of it.”  Noting that the security system locked three of Ellie’s prints, Noah guessed he had a few more seconds. “He decided to use the KISS method and the colors are literally marked with green, yellow and red.”

3