Chapter 19: Wrong place, Wrong time
81 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There you are! Theo wasn’t sure what tipped him off. It might’ve been that sixth sense one sometimes gets when your being watched. It might’ve been the flicker of a shadow at the periphery of his vision. More likely, it was the smell; the rich pheromone scent of a succubus drawing too near.

Theo had been growing more and more suspicious that someone had been watching him. A part of him hoped it might’ve been a succubus. He started paying closer attention whenever one was nearby. At first, he thought he was getting paranoid, but now he was certain.

Due to the humid temperature in the amphitheater, it was likely causing her to sweat. Succubi had rich pheromone’s laced with their sweat and body moisture, making it easier for them to attract a mate or capitalize on their sexual conquests. The spicy aroma reminded him of smooth vanilla and honey mixed with lavender, and it immediately sent his nerves aflame. His heart rate elevated, and his manhood suddenly stiffened.

His magical reserves were also affected. Direct visual stagnation wasn’t necessary, the shadows seemed to bend around him without any hindrance. He didn’t even need to waste a second drawing from the ether. Even his own shadow obeyed his commands, which was a first.

Shrouded, Theo rushed to where he knew his stalker was hiding, directly behind the pillar alongside the escalator. It was a woman, a succubus, and perhaps… Dare he hope… Someone he knew. Why else would a succubus be stalking him?

He worked hard training himself to shield his mind. He learned some time ago how Cubi were able to instinctively latch onto other people’s desires and temptations. Before his time at the University, a succubus sensed his desires for one of her kind, and even tried to fool him for a quick lay. Since then, he learned how to shield his thoughts.

It took him a while, but using a blend of shadow magic, his deepest desires were no longer easy to pick up on. For the most part, it worked. Because of that, there was no reason for a succubus to be stalking him.

Unless it was her!

He didn’t want to fool himself; he didn’t want to let himself down, but who else could it be?

He rushed as fast as he could, nearly bouncing into several others coming off the escalator. As soon as he turned the corner, he nearly tripped and fell head first into someone.

A hand latched onto his collar, keeping him from colliding with the lamia girl looking up at him surprised.

“Eeeek!” The blue skinned darling jerked back.

Theo was confused, he looked behind him to see Faine was the one tugging at his collar. She was gliding off the floor, her gifts as a vampire must’ve made it easy for her to spot him even with his shroud.

“Faine? What the hell are you doing here?” Theo looked over to the other girl. “And I’m really sorry, I thought… I thought you were someone else.”

“Easy there big guy, just wanted to say hello. Meet Marci. Marci, say hi.” Faine’s feet floated to the ground.

“Umm,” the lamia sounded jittery. “Excuse me, but is your roommate the Musclemancer who rescued me at the theater?”

“What?” Theo searched his memory. “Wait, you were the girl who got stuck under the—“

“Don’t remind me!” Her cheeks burned.

“Wait, what happened? What did you get stuck under?” Faine drew back. “You know what, never mind. Listen, she’s been wanting to thank that guy for a while, and I’m pretty sure he’s your roommate.”

Theo knew she was right, but how did she know that? “And how do you know that Craig is my roommate?”

“So his name is Craig…” Faine smirked. “I mean, I’ve seen you guys hanging out before. So I just figured he was either your roommate, or best bro, or whatever.”

“I mean, he’s upstairs, I can introduce you right now… But are you sure there wasn’t anyone else—“

“Didn’t sssee anyone, why don’t you introduce usss!” Marci looked over to the corner, then her eyes flashed back to Theo. “Pretty pleasssse.”

 


 

Shit that was close! Lorelei barely got out of there in time. Thank the gods Marci and Faine were there.

When she sent her SOS, she didn’t expect them to appear so quickly. Suspiciously quickly, in fact. She didn’t think much about it. The idea that both of them came to watch the fight, without inviting her, made her feel weird. It was strange in fact, she never felt jealousy before.

It was times like these, when Lorelei had to sprint frantically through the crowds, that she hated the bra that came with her uniform. It pinched her skin and hugged around her torso too tight. She just knew it would leave a mark.

Safely hiding in one of the smaller restaurants inside the auditorium, Lorelei watched as Marci and Faine led Theo back upstairs. Several had taken notice of her, a few were even trying to sit close by.

“That was too close,” Lorelei breathed. She leaned forward, letting herself sink into the chair. It was then that she noticed just how much she was sweating. Her top was soaked, her bodice clinging to her skin. She swore to herself, and eyed those who were awkwardly sitting nearby.

“I really need a shower.” Just as she said it, a server brought her a drink.

Lorelei looked up to see an incubus with dark blue skin and short blonde hair, carrying a tray. The drink he placed on the table was a clear bubbling liquid in a fancy martini glass. It came with lemon slices, and a menu.

“This is from the gentlemen over there,” he pointed to a nearby table.

Lorelei gulped. She wasn’t sure about the protocol for this. If she accepted the drink, did that mean something special? Can I just refuse it?

A static discharge made the tips of her hair stand, and Lorelei felt a shiver running down her spine.

“Amarille,” Lorelei seethed. She looked over her shoulder to find her rival standing like a specter right next to her. She had her arm wrapped around another mans, while her tail was curled around his shoulder.

“My my.” Amarille leaned over her. “A succubus drinking all alone, how tragic. Why don’t you let us join you.”

Lorelei groaned. She adjusted herself upright and reached for the drink. “Why does it have to be you.”

“I’ll tell you what,” Amarille and her date took the seats across from her. “You keep alluring all the horny guys to feed us drinks, and I’ll help you with your little problem.”

“And just what makes you think I want your help.” Lorelei decided to try the drink. It was surprisingly good.

“Because right now, your crush has two girls leading him around, while you are here, hiding in a bar.” Amarille answered. “And besides, do you know what happens when someone like us ends up all alone in a place like this?”

Lorelei rolled her eyes. “I’m not like you.”

Amarille leaned back, her cleavage exposed. “Oh darling, we have more in common than you think.”

From above the bar, the vid screens were broadcasting the fight. Things were getting tense, both combatants were on their last legs. And just as things were reaching their climax, one of them collapsed onto the mat while the crowd roared with applause.

1