Chapter 4: The City of Mermaids
18 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Deep under the sea where there was supposed to be only darkness around, there was instead, a city full of lights and unique buildings different from the humans, that shows the brilliance of life under the sea. There were building that looked like houses decorated and designed with colorful shells and aquatic plants, the road lamps glass that had different cute pictures of aquatic animals, the road paved with shining white rocks, the big and small aquatic beast mingling with colorful mermaids where some looked like pets, live vehicles and possible meal for the night caught in silky net. There were also big buildings around that seemed to serve some important purposes with their solemn design, a street opposite the solemn building was full of entertainment purposes with their colorful lights and shop signs, which he seemed to be able to read and understand. There were more buildings that he couldn't see that was stretched across the sea bed. Noe can only guess how big this city is than he previously thought.

Now, he also, finally have the answer to the question of whether there are any female among the mermaids, he thought as he glanced around the city and saw a group of female mermaids swam past them with colourful bags in their hands.

The mermaids around him all have unique and very high rate appearance with their wide range of colors from hair, eyes and tail, the flashing accessories and some mermaid's wore veil like clothes that seemed to float. All these fashionable mermaids makes him feel like a plain butterfly among all the other painted ones. Even Dawn at his side, although he doesn’t wear complicated accessories nor a veil clothes, he also has a silver and purple flowering armband on his left arm, enhancing his muscles.

The road was lively, there were groups of mermaid cubs swimming as fast as dolphins as they navigate around the adult and teenage looking mermaids, playing tags. The adults gathering as they laugh and talk, the young mermaids was on something that was flashing like a screen in front of them as they communicate.

It seems, the merfolk also didn’t forget to advance with the times. There were many electronic screen around the city and many mermaids uses it with ease, which means this is not a new invention. The technology was probably a product of the mermaids and dwarves working together using magic, Noe noted as he could perceive that there were no electricity sound with his ear fins that enhanced his hearings. Well, electric really won't be a good energy prefer for the sea like it was for humans.

There’s also the road lamps, which didn’t use light bulbs but a crystal shaped into all kinds of sea creature that shines and brighten what should be the dark sea area.

Through this cute design, you could also see how mermaid’s love beauty more than anything.

At the end of the big main road, what Noe saw was a westernized castle made of crystal and glass that was bigger and majestic than all the others, which shows its might and power over the merfolk. It seems, the Imperial authority plays an important part with the merfolks.

“With the help of the dwarves that can infuse our magic with their innovation, with their help, we built each city with the treasures we found in the sea. Especially the Main City of the Mermaids.” Dawn introduced as he greeted the family and friends who were curious about the new mermaid beside him as they went on their way to the building that signifies the Temple of the Sea, just a few streets away from the Castle. “We’ve even had the dragons help us experiment with our defensive and attack measurement each of our city against the enemy (   ^ _^).”

Noe looked at Dawn with a deadpan face: You mean the ‘Boil Those Dragons’ season.

Dawn: (^_^) Exactly.

“Sometimes, the demons and angels would come down and take a vacation and have some fun that they can’t find above ground. And we welcome all the other races except for humans and elves.” Dragons don’t need to be invited since they usually just barge in whether you allow it or not, Dawn complained internally.

Noe can understand the reason for humans but, “Why can’t the Elves?”

Dawn’s face that always had a smile quickly soured in distaste. “Those greedy motherfuckers like to steal our precious and rare aquatic plants and try to cultivate it by themselves to sell it off.” He spat out, clicking his tongue. “Hmph. No matter how noble and pompous their image is to others, to us mermaids, they are nothing more than thieves.”

“Is it only mermaid that have this kind of problem with them?” Noe asked with a tilt of his head.

Sighing, Dawn rubbed his aching temples. “No. Those elves like to steal from every races except for demons and angels since their place is either secretive or non-livable. As for the dwarves, they generally don’t care much about anything other than their inventions. The dragons only has meat as their meal. For those green plants, they have no use for it. Even rare herbs has no value to them except for picking with their teeth when something got stuck. Those big bastards also don’t get sick at all.” He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“That’s why only us, mermaids, have a problem with the elves.”

“What about humans? Don’t they care?” considering how humans like to take advantage of others but particularly hates it when others do the same to them, it’s hard to think how they let the elves get away with something that can make them lose money.

Dawn brushes off the topic with a wave of his hands. “The Elf have no interest in any plant that has no value to them and this value are the magic particles that will benefit us magical creatures. Although human also have many herbs, they aren't as potent since their world no longer has magic as it was back then. Even if there is, those humans would gladly negotiate and trade those plants that don’t have any use to them with the treasures that the elves can give. So it’s basically a win-win situation for them.”

“Beside some crazy obsession they have with us, humans are awed with the Elf noble stance, scared of the Dragons might and competitive towards the Dwarves technology. Because they can’t see the Angels and Demons, most of them have no knowledge of them. Maybe they have some information from their history records but some may believe of their existence, and some doesn’t.” Dawn shrugged as even he isn't sure about it.

“In any case, they still don’t know why it is called the Seven Races and not the Five Races.”

Before Noe could ask even more, a small mermaid cub with cute, short and chubby purple tail ambushed Dawn so hard that he had to spin a couple times. Out of playing, of course. “Uncle Dawn! You’re back early this time!”

Dawn chuckles and rubbed the mermaid cub’s head. “I found a new member to our merfolk in the sea while I was picking foods, that’s why I’m back early.”

The cub sneaked a glance at the pretty mermaid beside Dawn before quickly burrows his head into his uncle’s chest with a red face, he had seen the new mermaid from afar. The shining tail was hard to ignore when it deflect lights around it like the stars in night he saw when going out with his brothers! “He’s so pretty!” he whispered, which, wasn’t exactly a whisper since both the adult mermaids could hear it.

Dawn snickered while Noe could only scratch his nose. He never saw how he looked like ever since he came here. Since the mermaid cub who also has high appearance, like, all the mermaids doesn’t seem to have anyone that looks ugly, male or female, could blush and say he looks pretty, maybe he doesn't look as bad as he thought.

“Where did you find him, Uncle Dawn?” the child asked with his eyes shining with curiosity.

Dawn smiled. “Under the rock.”

The mermaid who was found under the rock, Noe: →_→

The child gasped as he heard the answer. “Does that mean, Uncle Dawn is now a Papa mermaid? But he doesn’t look like baby Myrna next door but look as big as big brother.”

“Ahahhahaha!” Dawn really couldn’t help but laughed in mirth with the innocence of the cub. “Who says anyone who found the mermaid under the rock needs to be a parent. Can’t they be brothers?”

“Hmm.” The cub thought for a while before he nodded in agreement. Then, he also wants to find a mermaid and make him be his little brother. That way, they can play together at home!

“This is Ava.” Dawn patted Ava’s shoulder. “Ava, what did the teacher say how you should greet when you meet mermaids you don’t now?” 

Ava let go of Dawns waist and slowly faced Noe with his milky voice and round light green eyes under his shoulder length black hair and red face, fidgeting as he talked. “Hello, my name is Ava. It’s very nice to meet you.”

Hearing the sincere and cute introduction as if he was introducing himself to his new classmates at school made Noe tugged a small smile. “Hello. I’m Noe. It’s also nice to meet you, Ava.”

“Now, then, Ava. Off you go. Uncle Dawn has to take your brother Noe to meet the High Priest.” Dawn shooed him away with a playful smile.

The little mermaid nodded and swam away with a flick of his chubby tail after bidding farewell.

They both continued on their way to the temple. “Ava’s cute, isn’t he? He’s my sister’s fourth child in the family and is currently the youngest.”

Seeing Dawn bragging about how cute his nephew was, Noe nodded in agreement. The mermaid cubs are really cute. At least, they don't seem to like crying.

"His father is from the North Region that are known for their cold and dangerous sea. After marrying my sister, he moved here and sometimes brings his sons out for training in the Northern Region. Now is the season when mermaids train the young mermaid who had their second acknowledgment. Since Ava is the youngest in the family, all three of his brother have all gone out, so he’s been feeling a bit lonely at home with only his mother.”

“He’s 13 by the way.”

Noe, who was shot, had a surprised Pikachu face. “13?” but that cub looks nothing more than 7?

Dawn smiled at Noe who had turn blue. Probably realized that his identity was blown. It really took a long time for this babe to realize. And it was only because he pointed it out in such a straightforward way. Or else, this mermaid won’t even notice it until the very end.

“Mermaid’s baby are from age 1-5, where they will get the first acknowledgement with the High Priest, 6-15 years are kids, 16-25 are what we call teenagers, like the one you see on the road. After that, they will get the second acknowledgement at the age of 25-30. Only after they get second acknowledgement are they recognized as an adult. But they will still be under the care of the adults. They will train, know how to hunt, survive the raging and all kinds of different temperature part of the sea, learn how to wield the mermaids power and their voice. Only after mastering all that will they be called a true adult.”

Knowing that Dawn had already figured out his weird appearance, Noe no longer hold back his questions. “What are the first and second acknowledgement?"

"The first acknowledgement is when magic are first introduced into the mermaids body. With the help of the Priest who has high attainment in controlling magic power, they will make the cub have an easier and smooth time while also sealing the cubs ability to wield those magic. After all, mermaids power is never one to be trifled with even when you’re a young cub.”

“Unless you are in danger, the seal will never unlock by itself. It also serves as an easier way to submerge the magic particles into our body and become one.”

“Second acknowledgment is when the Priest unseal it when the body has truly become magic itself. Although mermaids do not need these as they are already a magical race by itself but this method will strengthen our body even better than the natural way.”

“Which is why we can even hold on our own when fighting head to head with those fucking dragons (っ^▽^)b.”

Dragons and the elves really got on the bad side of the mermaids (|||= _ =). Noe noted.

“We’re here.” Dawn swam near a mermaid guard stationed at the entrance of the temple’s door. As they talked, Noe was attracted towards the pillars of mermaids holding the temple up. Some of them had beautiful appearance as they seem to sing, there are also those that wield weapons like spears, trident as they were forever in an attack stance.

The walls of the temple were carved as they tell the history of the mermaids in the sea, how they fought with the flying dragons, chasing away the thieving elves, building the city with the help of dwarves, mingling with the demons and angels and lastly, their resistance against humans who covets the mermaids.

“It’s very realistic isn’t it?”

Noe turned around to face Dawn who had finished talking with the guard. While he was waiting for Dawn, he had unconsciously moved away from the big gate as he was captured by the murals.

“The mermaids who were carved onto the pillars are the mermaids who have made contribution to the mermaids race.” He pointed to them one by one as he told the history.

Seeing Noe enraptured by the story of old that probably sound like a fairy tale to him, Dawn pulled him to enter the temple. “Come, there’s more.”

Bypassing the big gate, Noe was even more amazed because inside the temple was a big empty space with pillars on both sides which also have mermaids carved into it but more older as the decorations on the mermaid looked different than the one outside, the walls were even more lifelike, have more depths and more history than the one outside.

“The inside of the temple tells the story when all the Seven Races were still called Seven.” Dawn whispered in reverence. He then chuckles. “Although we still call it the Sevens, but not to humans.”

“It was a time when everyone was together. There were many conflicts.” He pointed towards the murals where the mermaids, dwarves, elves and the humans seemed to have a fight with a flying dragon while the demons cackled on the back and the angels spreading it’s wings behind the human.

“We also fought together against the disaster.” There was a mural where it seemed to be under the sea and all the Seven Races helped the mermaids from underwater volcanic eruptions. The land lubbers had something round-like object to prevent them from drowning in the sea. The demon, no longer stayed at the back but actively helped and the angels, seemingly doing three jobs of taking the life, protecting and helping with the evacuation. The dragons swimming with the cubs behind their massive back.

As Noe looked it, he saw there were more of pictures that almost has the same scene except for different places, different circumstances and different disasters.

They fought against each other, they joke around the fireplace, attend the marriages of their friends and foe regardless of what conflict they had and help when natural disaster struck regardless of who, where and when. They will always have each others back, Noe thought as he traces the murals that depicts of the time when the dwarves home seemed to have been crushed by the mountains, the elves forest were burned in raging fire, the humans going through a tsunami that destroys their home.

When disaster struck, all Seven helped each other.

Whether they were the high on their horses elves, the battle craze dragons, the annoying dwarves with their invention, the troublemaking demons, the ever serious angels and the mermaids. They were all bonded with each other. But now…

“The fall of the humans wasn’t just affecting the humans.” Dawn whispered. Both of them stood in the middle of the big space, taking in all the story that the mermaid passed on to their descendants in the murals.

“After the fall, all the races no longer bonded the same way as they did in the past. For fear that they would watch another race fell into the same despair and insanity, they all distanced themselves.” 

Noe could imagine it. Watching just one race was enough for them. Even though it didn’t happen to them, they all watched the humans going through the tough times. Perhaps, the magical races had hoped for the humans to recover even more than the fallen race's themselves.

Now, although it seemed that everything had recovered as it was back then but the separation and self distance had been going on for far too long for them to bond the same way again. Especially since the humans seems to have changed drastically.

The magical races didn’t seem to know how to mend it so they all went on their own way.

The dragons and the dwarves travelling out of their solar system. The Elves making trouble with everyone but in the end stayed inside their safe cocoons, the mermaids feeling conflicted with the current humans and the mysterious demons and angels that never spoke of the reason for that disaster.

The Seven Races in this universe is really… Noe sighed as it echoed deep in his chest with regret.

2