Chapter 05 – A Woman of Wisdom
85 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The modest room they were led inside of had a long wooden table covered on all sides by varying stacks of books. Bookshelves covered the back wall, books scattered in all directions, presumably because they were often rearranged or grabbed for snippets of information. There was a set of seats on one end of the table to hold about ten guests at a time and on the other side sat an old woman, sitting with her back straight and a bowl of soup in front of her. Her eyes were two different colors, one green and the other a light blue. They somehow both looked natural on her face, but seemed to glitter with extraordinary intelligence. She dipped a spoon in and brought the broth to her lips, sipping silently and seeming to enjoy every drop. She looked as though she hadn’t even noticed Rep and Zalan enter the room. 

Zalan looked over to Rep who was gazing politely at the woman with an aura of respect. Zalan cleared his throat and decided to be the first to speak.

“Madam Hikma?” Zalan asked, both as a way of announcing himself and to confirm they were in the right place. 

Madam Hikma looked up from her soup and nodded. She daintily placed the spoon back into the bowl and gently pushed the soup away from her. Zalan noticed it was half full and had a sinking feeling in his stomach that she had been trying to eat this same meal all day. The broth lacked any steam coming off the top and looked like it could be cold. She looked totally at ease, despite his suspicions, and glanced attentively between Rep and Zalan. 

“I have brought something as a token of gratitude for you seeing us,” Rep took a step forward and placed it atop a small pile of growing coins on one end. Zalan blinked as he noticed it. When he walked in, everything just looked like books, including the pile of money. He wondered how much money had accrued in this one day between the gold, silver, and bronze coins in the pile. Zalan imagined it must have been a small fortune. She didn’t even look at it.

“I am honored.” Madam Hikma smiled at Rep with such sincerity that Zalan secretly wished he had received the kind word instead. “Please, sit. Excuse me one moment as there is a matter I must attend to momentarily,” she said to the two young men, sounding genuinely apologetic. 

“It’s fine,” Zalan said immediately, feeling embarrassed to have to impose on this woman. 

“Thank you,” Madam Hikma looked past them and called out for someone, “Sholou! Would you be a dear and come here?”

The little girl that led the two associates inside rushed to Madam Hikma’s side as Rep and Zalan sat down across from her.

“Take these funds and purchase a few day’s worth of meals for the Taldena Family. Little Radad was just born and they will be happy not to be inundated with menial things like preparing a meal when the little one will want to take so much of their time. And give them the rest of the money as a gift. From the people of Oriton. Try not to tell them it is from me,” Madam Hikma instructed the girl. 

“Of course, Madam,” Sholou nodded, immediately going to dump the pile of coins in a bag she slung over her shoulder. 

“And keep a gold coin for yourself,” Madam Hikma decided. 

“Thank you, Madam,” Sholou said, smiling as she pocketed one coin and moved to the doorway. She stopped just shy of heading out. “Is there anything else I can do for you before I leave?”

 “No, thank you, dear, you have been wonderful,” Madam Hikma smiled. 

Sholou smiled wider than she did when she received payment, then ran out the door. 

“Thank you for your patience,” Madam Hikma looked at Zalan and he instinctively looked away from her maternal affection. 

“Thank you for seeing us,” Rep said. “How are you feeling?”

“Much older than I should be,” Madam Hikma tilted her head to one side playfully. “Did you ever discover the nature of the Artifact you asked me about, Rep?”

Rep’s body went tight, his eyes immediately targeting the legs of his chair. He bit the inside of his lip lightly. Zalan looked at Rep with interest, wondering what she was asking about that made him so nervous.

“Very well, no need to dwell on the topic. What have you come for?” Madam Hikma said sweetly. Rep sighed in relief and Zalan’s lip twitched in disappointment.

“We are hoping you can aid us with some of your wisdom.”

“I will assist if I am able,” she said modestly. 

Rep looked bashful, suddenly too embarrassed to ask any further questions and instead looked to Zalan. Zalan shook his head slightly and mouthed at Rep to continue. Rep’s eyes widened as he shook his head. They both felt like they were wasting Madam Hikma’s time despite her graciousness. 

“Rep, if I may ask your friend’s name, perhaps?” Madam Hikma said with patience, breaking the tension and easing the conversation forward. 

“Hmm,” Rep coughed, his voice caught in his throat. 

“I’m Zalan,” Zalan followed.

“Zalan… You are not from around here,” Madam Hikma was looking deep into his eyes.

“I’m not,” Zalan agreed, shrinking into his seat. “That’s actually why I’m here. I’m trying to find a way home.”

“Your home is not of this world,” Madam Hikma nodded to herself, turning to pull a seemingly random book from a shelf behind her. She flipped it open and read quickly, then looked back up at Zalan who sat stunned. 

“You can tell?” Zalan said, wondering what made it so obvious. 

Madam Hikma simply shrugged, as if to suggest that she had stumbled on the answer as a guess more than anything. Zalan felt more encouraged by Madam Hikma and scooted further ahead in his seat. 

“Do you know how I got here?” Zalan asked.

Madam Hikma scrutinized his face to the point that Zalan felt she was reading something in his soul. She closed her eyes and breathed in deeply. 

“You seem to be in a very difficult situation,” she said. 

“Yeah, I’m trying to find a way home,” Zalan said, then gestured to Rep. “We have no idea where to begin.”

“Hmmm… I see,” Madam Hikma found herself reading the book in front of her for answers. She flipped through five pages, quickly absorbing information on the page before each turn. Then she snapped the book shut and added it to a stack ahead of her. “Your solution is clear. You must accept.”

Zalan looked to Rep who looked back and shrugged with a confused frown. 

“What?” Zalan said. 

“I told you this would be very difficult,” Madam Hikma said sagely.

“What are you saying? Like I should accept this new world? I’m not going to live here. I’m not even sure this world is real. I have something I need to do back home,” Zalan said. 

“That is the solution,” Madam Hikma assured him. 

“Well… it doesn’t mean anything! It’s not a good solution! Give me another one!” Zalan snapped. 

“Zalan,” Rep warned.

“There is another way. You may decide to overcome the Five Monsters of the Mindscape,” Madam Hikma said.

“That sounds rather difficult,” Rep said, unsure.

“Who are they?” Zalan asked. 

“The five are not for me to say. It is best for you to discover yourself, and overcome them in your own way,” Madam Hikma replied. 

Zalan’s earlier abashedness had fled, rushed away by his mounting frustration. He groaned, rocking his chair back and forth. How could she have the answers but not want to give them to him?

“People line up to get non-answers from you?” Zalan cracked flippantly. 

“Do not speak to her like that!” Rep said, standing from his chair suddenly. 

“I apologize I could not be of more assistance,” Madam Hikma said sorrowfully, lowering her head. 

Zalan’s frustration was overwhelmed by his shame, he slouched back in his chair, the fire having left his speech. Madam Hikma looked genuinely upset that she couldn’t be of service.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean that,” Zalan sighed.

Rep watched him and sat back down, then turned to Madam Hikma. 

“Is there anything that we can search for, perhaps? Maybe we are asking the wrong questions. Is there an Artifact that would assist in getting someone home?” Rep ventured. 

Madam Hikma looked back up. 

“An Artifact to get you home?” she asked, a wonder creeping into her voice. “Yes, indeed, I know of such an Artifact. The Homeseeker! A golden cube Artifact with black corners. All who touch it while it is active are sent to their homes. Though, the one that activated the Homeseeker will be the one to retain it after use.”

“Okay, perfect, something practical. Where is the Homeseeker?” Zalan asked, sitting straight with excitement. 

“It lies at the top of the Castle of Docrun that was once brimming with life. It is now prowling with creatures of all forms, some monsters, some mind-manipulators, and there are rumors of a full grown dragon having taken residence within,” Madam Hikma said with caution. 

“Great!” Zalan said excitedly. 

“Errr,” Rep raised a hand to try and pull back Zalan's enthusiasm. “Perhaps there is something easier for us to pursue? Zalan is only at Level One. And I am not much higher, myself.”

Zalan scoffed, not thinking much of the Levels of this world, especially if it was all some dream-like state. He considered that with enough willpower, he might be able to overcome anything here. Maybe activate some lucid dreaming and just get past whatever blocked their way until he made his way out.

“I’m satisfied with the Homeseeker thing. I don’t need other ideas if that’s my way out,” Zalan said. 

“Be forewarned that dragons cannot be easily defeated by any physical means unless also attacked by Elemental powers. If you want the Homeseeker, then you must gain an Elemental Power,” Madam Hikma said. 

“Or I could just have Rep do all the fighting for me,” Zalan said wryly. 

“I am not fighting a dragon alone,” Rep answered immediately. 

“Fine, we’ll go get me an Elemental Power. How do I do that?” Zalan said, turning back to Madam Hikma. 

“You must find an Elemental and accept its challenge. Succeed, and it will grant you its power,” Madam Hikma explained. 

“Can we just go to the one you got your power from?” Zalan asked Rep. 

“Indeed,” Rep nodded. “It was only a six-month journey each way.”

Zalan stared at him for a few silent seconds, then shifted back to Madam Hikma. 

“What about you? Are you familiar with any closer Elementals I can challenge?” Zalan asked desperately. 

“I do not know.” Madam Hikma shook her head. “But you are welcome to read the Elemental portions of my library to find anything of interest.” She pointed across the room to a bookshelf filled to the brim with books of all sizes and quality. There were dozens. Maybe a hundred.

Zalan looked at the bookshelf and sighed. He figured even if he had to read every single book it would be faster than a year-long journey if he could find a much closer Elemental creature. 

“Do we have to stay here to finish reading?” Zalan asked. 

“You are welcome to borrow them all, I just ask that you bring them back,” Madam Hikma said. Zalan nodded in appreciation. 

“We thank you for your generosity, Madam Hikma, but I do not think these will be of any assistance,” Rep answered sadly. 

“What? Why not?” Zalan asked.

“I had a whole month to learn reading, but I have not gotten past simple memorization of the letters and a handful of words. I may be able to sound things out, but it will be much faster to go to the Fire Elemental atop the volcano than to read so much. And, I doubt Zalan had the privilege to learn how to read,” Rep said, directing the answer to Madam Hikma rather than Zalan. 

“What? Rep, I can read fine,” Zalan answered. 

“Oh…” Rep looked at the bookshelf, then to Zalan, back to the bookshelf, then at the floor in embarrassment. “We thank you for your generosity, Madam Hikma.”

“And your time,” Zalan added. 

“Thank you for the kind words, Zalan and Rep,” Madam Hikma said, nodding to them both. “Do let me know if you find anything of interest. Those books are years old, and I wonder if they contain anything worthwhile in them anymore.”

4