Ch45: The Five Supremes
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rein could only groan in his mind at being invited into Supreme Jensure’s camp. His issue with the invitation? Attention that he wished to avoid! Joining a camp was certain to attract eyes. He had not forgotten that he was sent here by Master Yirn, and had also been strangled into spying for the Fusion Sect’s Baejenh.

Master Yirn was his benefactor, and Baejenh… betraying her would be making enemies with the Fusion Sect, ruler of this Fusion Realm!

Yet, when Rein thought more about it, he realized that perhaps this was inevitable.

In order to effectively find traces of his younger brother Jein, he needed the power of the Hall of Heroes. In order to avoid the trouble of Beincen of House Larne while staying alive, he would needed to be successful in some high stakes missions.

That success would inevitably lead to him being invited into the internal politics of this branch of the Hall of Heroes. He would be forced to join a camp, because not doing so would be an insult to all the internal camps. 

Honestly, Rein felt as if he never had a choice in the first place.

He secretly hoped that the invite would be withdrawn. “I… I am not sure if I have done enough to be worthy of such honor. Without Xeeseir here, or the javelin provided by the Halls, it would have been impossible for me to accomplish anything of note.”

Another factor that Rein had to take into consideration was that such a Halls elite overseeing his movement could make things more difficult for him.

Jensure was completely undeterred. “Hah! I’ve been around a long time. As they say, talent can only take you so far.” He glared at Rein. “You think I lack perception?”

Rein could only keep his eyes to the ground and shake his head emphatically.

“You were clearly targeted because you were identified as a troublesome javelin user. Indeed! You could have just abandoned your javelins and ran. Or,” he gestured at Xeeseir, “escaped while this companion of yours that you had only known for a day engaged your foe.”

Rein kept his mouth shut and his head down. Attempting to shirk off contribution, too, could be suspicious. Especially in the Halls, where most participants only joined in hopes of ascending.

“Are you perhaps concerned about your conflict with House Larne?” Jensure snickered with glee. “He’s nothing. But he does pay allegiance to another supreme that I don’t quite get along with.”

Xeeseir, perhaps not as concerned with ‘staying hidden’, asked the key question. “What would  paying allegiance to you mean?”

The Halls elite nodded. “A proper but unnecessary consideration. As I have previously said, this is just a Halls branch. All members are only able to vie against each other through that brings about results against demons and devils. Any direct ‘interference’ that can lead to direct conflict among the members will get crushed down by the main branch. And the main branch answers to the Luminaries, and they to the Allfather.” His eyes shone with reverence at the mention of the Allfather.

“And Xune?” Xeeseir himself was curious. Many that associated with the Halls often used the phrase ‘Xune’s Spear’.

Jensure waved the question away. “Too long of a tale. As I have said, you will have access to increased resources if you so join. An extra ten contribution points a day. Naturally, your success will also add to my own. I take it that you, Xeeseir, agree?” He received a nod as a confirmation.

“And Rein. By joining, Beincen will be even less of an… annoyance. Previously, he could still have attempted some underhanded method to sabotage your missions. But once you pay allegiance, any conflict would be seen as one between me and the one he pays allegiance to. And any conflict between us would be managed by the main branch.”

Under Xeeseir’s somewhat amused smile, Rein no longer had an out. He would need to somehow ‘stay hidden’ under the nose of Jensure. He could only reassure himself that at the very least, there were benefits.

As for why Xeeseir seemed to look at him with amusement, Rein’s best guess was that Xeeseir believed that Rein was concerned about Jensure becoming aware of his origin skill.

This is for the best, Rein concluded. Although Xeeseir had not definitively clarified whether he saw Rein teleport that javelin to strike their foe, it was still best for them to be on the same side. At least, that would decrease the possibility that Xeeseir would leak this knowledge.

The two men each received a matte golden token from Jensure. The token was circular, with a completely flat back. The front was convexed in a slight curve, with a flying crane embossed into the smooth surface of the token. Simple yet elegant.

“The symbol I am known by in this branch. Wave it and they will give me face. Naturally, there is a limit to my share of the pie, and well,” his tone became more threatening. “Although it is part of my pie, if you take advantage of my influence but fail to produce, ultimately, the hall will come for you. After all, I am only a part distributor of that pie.”

Supreme Jensure then withdrew a vial, his eyes narrowed. “Now. Do you wish to have this heartblood? That convergence sect elite protected his own heartblood within his skull.”

Rein was certainly tempted. That outer advancer was powerful. If he could gain a bit of what that advancer had comprehended…

Yet, a heartbeat later, he shook his head. Xeeseir similarly rejected the heartblood as well. Jensure was the one who got the killing strike, a supreme of this halls branch, an outer advancer and the leader of their camp!

Supreme Jensure beamed and consumed the vial of heartblood.

“Let no one say I stole your contribution,” he commented. “But this is for the best. The two of you may not know, but a common method for hunting down enemies is to rely on the heartblood. The Convergence Sect will sense that I have consumed the heartblood of Dunzkr. If the two of you dared to consume it… not even I would be able to protect you.”

“Let me give you two an additional warning. Many on the field saw me take Dunzkr’s life. But they also saw that Dunzkr was already on his last legs.”

Rein and Xeeseir both widened their eyes at this information.

“That means,” continued Jensure, “that the Convergence Sect might very well identify the two of you as priority targets. After all, they can’t exactly come after me. Best of luck, my two new friends.”

Jensure became less jovial and cordial now that he had accomplished his target. “I hope I will feel the need to bring you two as guests here again. Your team will naturally also receive a bit of support, but it really is getting late.”

The stone door rolled back open, and the two were summarily dismissed with a flick of Jensure’s sleeves, to retrace their steps in the confusing maze.

Luckily, Xeeseir and Rein had kept an eye on their twists and turns while following Supreme Jensure, and quickly managed to reorient themselves. The fact that the underground stronghold had also returned to its default layout certainly helped as well.

“We’re lucky,” a pleased Xeeseir noted. “Jensure is one of the less eccentric hero elites in this branch. The other ones are much more… unpredictable. Though, there are definitely some rumors about a few disconcerting incidents here and there.”

It could be said that the more unpredictable, the more dangerous an advancer could be. After all, who was to know if a seemingly harmless action could be perceived as a threat to those more eccentric?

Rein had a certain understanding of how the Halls operated thanks to Chenhr and Master Yirn’s library collection, but of course, he had no knowledge of any new methods or specific personnel of this branch. “The others?”

“Mmm. Yes. I lacked the necessary time to learn them all, but I do know two more.” Xeeseir slightly frowned, recalling the information he had managed to collect through his sources. “Beincen and many of the Houses and Clans pay allegiance to a Supreme named Guihnes.”

“Guihnes is said to himself to have ties to the Dingien Clan currently in control of this Minhr Nation. Supposedly, he would take any opportunity to use the Hall’s influence to hamper the sects’ actions. An incredibly--” Xeeseir suddenly stopped speaking as he suspiciously observed the white walls of the tunnel they were traveling through.

Authoritative man.” Xeeseir picked his words carefully, concerned that the walls could have ears.

“Then, there’s Suyein. Supposedly a lady that rarely speaks, but when she does, she more or less gets her way. At least, that’s what I was told. There are rumors that her followers have been thoroughly hypnotized by her based on how they behave. Though, perhaps you could simply say that they’re incredibly loyal. Still, they’re a crazy bunch and have supposedly taken action in outlandish fashion for Suyein.”

Indeed. Jensure seemed comparatively normal to interact with. Though, Xeeseir’s descriptions weren’t necessarily ‘eccentric’. Sensing Rein’s doubts, Xeeseir only shook his head with a sigh. “Better not to speak of it. You’ll eventually meet them.”

“There’s a total of five?” Rein recalled a foggy memory of seeing five figures floating on the Hall’s side during the battle.

Xeeseir nodded, but then sought to add some extra information. “Yes. And Overseer Jeahz is, well, just one of the collection of individuals overseeing this branch for the main Hall of Heroes.”

Rein was rather curious as to how the other two remaining hero elites positioned themselves within this branch of the Halls. Perhaps Chirh or the twin ladies would be able to answer that question on another day.

He had split from Xeeseir and returned to his cave, discovering the wondrous shower within a corner of his new lodgings. A press of his palm against a stone block that sunk into the walls caused that small corner to rain, thoroughly cleansing the gore and filth off Rein’s body.

The water was fully reabsorbed by the ground, disappearing into nothingness.

By now, Rein no longer needed to use the pestle and mortar to crush the beast cores. He casually flicked one into his mouth and shattered the core with his ever strengthening jaws, and swallowed the dust. He had thoroughly gotten used to the taste of his daily ‘meal’.

He then went through his nightly habit of recollecting his thoughts. His main consideration tonight was simply comparing the man he and Xeeseir had battled against the corpse-man he and Chenhr had fought a while ago.

From what he could tell, both were outer advancers. Yet, it was apparent that the one Xeeseir and he fought tonight was significantly more powerful. Chenhr had long told Rein that even advancers of the same advancer realm could have a difference between heaven and earth.

Rein never quite fully believed that until today. Their opponent, when opening his mouth, had somehow blocked off sound. Rein could clearly recall not being able to hear his companion’s voices and communication during that battle.

The man also seemed to be incredibly explosive with a varied style of attacks. It must have something to do with those ‘rings’ of aurae. Whenever they combined, that man would unleash an unparalleled burst of strength.

Though, Xeeseir seemed to have negated that with his origin ability. He further understood why origin abilities are considered innate and absolute. But then he laughed at the description, thinking of Xeeseir’s achilles’ heel. Can’t truly be said to be absolute if it proved ineffective against ranged weapons that had no magical effects applied to them, right?

But that only proved one thing. Origin abilities were always pure in nature. And thus always had a certain glaring weakness. That was a point that Chenhr had drilled into Rein’s mind at the very start of their six months of accelerated learning.

His mind then turned to the vision that the remnant will of the draconic metamorphose bead had given him. That vision meant that the dragon was alive during the Age of Gods during an ancient era! Unfortunately, it was but a short vision. Rein wasn’t sure exactly how to trigger those memories of the dead dragon, or if said memory would even be useful.

His considerations complete, Rein passed the rest of the night muttering through the mantras he had long practiced under Master Yirn.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Larne Mansion, Northeast district of Green Trout City.

The Larne Patriarch sighed at his son kneeling before him.

“Uncle Naohr said you’re beginning to ignore his advice.” The scholarly man that accompanied Beincen everywhere had informed the Larne Patriarch of how Rein had poisoned the Larne scion’s mind.

“I am my own man!” Beincen was unrepentant.

“Even I need advice from the Larne elders.” The Larne Patriarch felt incredibly concerned. He knew his son was lacking when it came to the mind. Yet Beincen is a shell advancer, and the best candidate to inherit his position in the future.

He found himself somewhat regretting not having spent much time educating his two sons when they were still children. Influence during that past growth period was most important.

During that period, the Larne Patriarch had spent his full efforts on developing many aspects of House Larne, in a bid to ascend to the status of an advancer clan. Thus, he had completely left his two sons to his wife. A mistake he could no longer correct.

It was only now that his thoughts recalled the many ruling clans within the Minhr Nation. Often, the first line of kings were majestic, powerful, noble. Yet their focus on being effective rulers always meant their children received minimal attention from the father king. More often than not, every generation that followed would only weaken. So the cycle goes.

Well, quite obvious, there are many factors in such a scenario, but the Larne Patriarch couldn’t help but entertain the idea that if he had laid down the law on his sons at an early age, and thrown them into the wilds, they might have developed into better inheritors of this future Larne Clan.

Better late than never.

“Very well, son.” The Larne Patriarch had summoned his son for the upcoming reason. “Have you ever read the family registry?”

“I… well yes, but…” Beincen was thoroughly baffled as to why his father had raised the topic of the family registry.

“You…” The Larne Patriarch sighed, but accepted the nature of his son. “If you had analyzed it properly, you might have noticed that some powerful members are still alive yet no longer with us here in the Green Trout City.”

“Father… you mean…”

At least his son could catch on if given enough clues.

“Yes,” the Larne Patriarch nodded with a smile. “Some of our ancestors are in fact members of the Evergreen Mountains’ Great Sects. Now, they might have ceased contact with us to give off the appearance that they have given up on the clan system… but…” He mysteriously stroked his goatee.

“The man who harmed your younger brother. I’ve received news. The Convergence Sect wants his head.”

The Larne Patriarch words sent Beincen’s brain spinning in ecstasy. He had felt himself… restrained by the rules of the Hall of Heroes. This cross-realm organization was too powerful for him to behave unrestrained as he wished to.

“Will those ancestors give us a hand? The sects…” That was his concern. The Great Sects always ensured none of them would be controlled or influenced by the Minhr Nation’s clans.

“Hah. You are still too young. The Great Sects only use that as a method to spread goodwill and recruit talents from the mortal population. Do you think the elders that rise to the top of these sects won’t pull strings for their own families? Their own people?”

“And,” the Larne Patriarch continued. “Now that the Convergence Sect wants that man’s head, do you think they will consider it a bad thing if our hidden ancestors pulled a few strings?”

Beincen was growing increasingly excited, his lips in a contemptuous sneer. He could already imagine Rein’s head resting in the palm of his hands.

“Son. I will inform you of our secret channel. You wish to be your own man? Execute this well. Both I and Uncle Naohr will be watching.”

0