Ch2: Golden Desert Town
127 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This quadrangled mansion that Rein lived in was a common type of mansion that any family that has managed to build a minor fortune would choose to reside in. It consisted of a main courtyard at the center surrounded by a main building, two side buildings and a main gateway. The main building included Rein’s parents quarters and also operated as the center for their business negotiations. Rein himself lived in one of the side buildings. All these structures had overhanging tiled roofs with ornate ridges.

Around this center square existed other rectangle shaped zones, where utility buildings such as kitchen, servants quarters, storage and more were located.

Rein had investigated much on this type of residence due to his own curiosity. There were a wide range of theories. Supposedly, the combination of rectangular and square layout with specific measurements and ratios was some sort of beautiful mathematical beauty. Another theory suggested that it was designed with defense in mind-- the multiple right angled corners allowed defenders to hide surprised enemies. Another suggested it was nothing but ancient superstition.

Regardless of which may be true, the Hehr Mansion’s size and decor partially signified the family’s status as a small but successful merchant family.

Perhaps, such a mansion in the nation’s capital would be extravagant. However, the Golden Desert town was on the edge of the Minhr Nation, so while this type of housing and its size may be considered mid-tier in the capital, in this town, it would be more accurate to consider it as below average with regards to established merchant companies.

Land as well as construction costs were significantly lower in Golden Desert Town than the capital of the country.

Although the Hehr Mansion was on the smaller scale in terms of quadrangled mansions, the center courtyard was large enough for a small pond to exist, which was spanned by a beautiful crimson colored arched wooden bridge.

A school of multicolored carp could be seen swimming in the pond, underneath the surface ripples caused by a slight breeze. At the end of the red arch was a small island, with a large willow hanging over the pond and a small gazebo rising up into the sky.

This pond was clearly man-made, as it was lined with large light-gray stones. A stone statue of a frog crouched on the edge of the pond, spewing water from its mouth to maintain the water levels of the pond. Without these elements, it would be difficult to see that the pond was man-made, for it was shaped in such a natural way that on first sight, the pond and its decor looked one with nature.

Looking at all of this, one might think that culturally, there was a strong emphasis on being one with nature. Rein knew that this couldn’t be further from the truth. The education his parents had put him through taught him that this was much more about demonstrating the domination of humans over nature.

The more wealthy one was in the Minhr Nation, the more effort one placed on constructing a garden indistinguishable from nature. A person who could build such a garden and fully integrate their abode within it could then be considered a God ruling over nature. 

Rein leisurely walked over the crimson bridge and approached the gazebo on the center island, which was also painted crimson as well.  Various depictions of sea beasts such as serpents, monster squids and more crawled up the pillars supporting the gray tiled pointed roof of the gazebo.

A female servant sat within the gazebo with a boy that looked to be around eight years old. This younger boy appeared somewhat similar to Rein.

“Jein! Your older brother has finished attending to his responsibilities; he’s here now!”

Jein, originally tracking the school of colorful carp in the pond, looked up to see his older brother Rein approaching across the crimson arched bridge. He could not help but yell in happiness.

The two brothers used to spend all their time playing together in the past. However, for the past few years, this had grown incredibly rare because Rein had started increasingly playing a role in his parent’s merchant company. Along with it came many lessons from different experts so Rein could learn how to appraise goods as a merchant.

Jein had long started feeling somewhat lonely, and had even wanted to participate in the Hehr merchant company. However, he was just too young.

Jein performed a running leap into Rein’s arms, and Rein could not help but laugh in happiness as well. In recent times, he had increasingly appreciated being able to spend some time with his younger brother.

“Take me out, big bro! It’s boring! The servant said I cannot go out unless I had guards, and the guards say that they’ve been ordered to not escort me!”

Rein pitied his younger brother a bit, but not more. There had been cases of the town being attacked by bandits in the past-- some kind of hit-and-run raid for goods, so it was understandable that his parents did not want his younger brother to go out on a whim.

“Alright, Jein, I’ll take you out, it will only be for the late morning though!” Rein did not forgot that he had agreed to meet his father later.

Rein’s reply made Jein cheer and throw up his short arms into the air, as well as jumping up and down on the spot in joy.

“Have a rest and get the two guards Wein and Sheir to meet us at the front of the Hehr Mansion.”

Rein nodded to the young female servant to dismiss her, before walking over to the front doors of the Hehr Mansion with Jein.

In a few minutes, two muscular men appeared. Both of them wore tough leather armor and were equipped with a large chopper hanging on the side of their hips. 

The muscular man that had a stubble on his chin looked at Rein. He was an average heighted grown man and to his surprise, the fifteen year old Rein was already as tall as him.

“Young sir. I’ve only been away from the main household for a year and a half escorting the Hehr merchant company goods across the Minhr Nation, and yet upon my return you’ve already grown a whole head height!”

The other guard looked much older, having a few signs of white silvery hair. He had a scar across his eyelids-- clearly someone had tried to take his eye in a fight before. This guard did not seem surprised and only looked at the stubble-chinned guard oddly.

“Wein, what’s so surprising? These younglings always grow quickly! One moment they’re a baby, and in a blink of an eye they’re married!”

The guard surnamed Sheir more likely than not has had children that had grown up, left home and gotten married.

Rein had noticed the two guards calling each other by their family name. This was of no surprise. It was custom in the country to use the family name in professional settings as a sign of respect.

Rein suddenly realized that he had yet to learn of Uncle Wein and Shier’s given names, and began considering that perhaps, he should attempt to spy on them during their off-duty moments to find out. Or simply question his father.

Rein did not want to ask for their given names in the current situation. That would be an insult to the two guards. Doing so would be the equivalent of mocking the two guard’s on-duty competence.

At this point, the two guards quickly clasped their hands together and bowed toward Rein respectfully.

Rein felt these two guards that had helped raise him were being overly polite. He even saw these two as his uncles due to them having taught him with their hearts whenever they were on break in the Golden Desert Town.

“Please, Uncle Wein and Shier, the two of you have taught a bit of combat arts to both me and my brother over the years. Today, we only wish to leave the Hehr Mansion for a bit and require a bit of security.”

“Where to, young sir?” Guard Wein immediately replied.

Rein looked at Jein, and the eight year old boy immediately yelled out his answer.

“Blacksmith Tiehr!”

Both Guard Wein and Shier looked at each other in relief. Staying within the town was relatively safe. Both of them had been somewhat worried that the Jein would have wanted to exit the town to play, something that the boys of all towns in the world seem to be tempted to do so at one point or another.

After all, while they had been out and about escorting merchant goods, they knew from the talk among the servants that Jein had grown especially mischievous as of late, especially when Rein started increasingly assisting his parents in business. What provided relief to the both of them was that Blacksmith Tiehr more or less worked under the Hehr merchant company, so he was situated close by.

It was much easier for the two guards to maintain security within town, and in close proximity to the Hehr Mansion and merchant group.

Guard Wein laughed uproariously in relief.

“Let us go! The two of us will keep you safe, Second Young Master Hehr!” he stated.

With that, the group of four left the central garden and leisurely walked towards the exit of the Hehr Mansion, a gateway with a gray tiled overhanging roof that had a main door, inner hallway and two side doors.

As the group meandered down the cobbled stone street, Rein looked at the clear blue skies up above, which had nary a cloud in sight. The sun was bright and warm. He could hear Jein constantly yammering about combat arts to the two guards. Rein could not help but feel that if the world existed forever in this moment, he would be quite content.

Unfortunately, this clear blue sky was rather uncommon in the Golden Desert Town. More often than not, there would be mild sandstorms that block out the sun. Even if there weren’t any storms, the sky would still be covered by a slight dusty film.

Two streets down, the group of four arrived at Blacksmith Tiehr’s forge. There were quite a few young boys here that kept staring at the numerous shiny weapons and armors displayed on hooks and stands in the shopfront. This included a variety of polearms, swords, choppers, shields and even some less common items such as chains.

There was a rather long line of customers that two shopkeepers were attending to. It was clear as day that the Blacksmith Tiehr’s crafts were quite popular, especially because the customers in line appeared rather patient even though they had to wait. This was a rather common sight at the store. 

Part of Rein’s training the past few years had been with Blacksmith Tiehr, but despite his multiple attempts, Rein completely failed to get Blacksmith Tiehr or his parents to leak out any information regarding the man’s origin.

Upon seeing the group of four, one of the shopkeepers immediately recognised Rein and Jein, quickly pointing toward the back of the shop where the forge was.

At first, some customers appeared disgruntled by the favoritism shown to the group of four, but they quickly dispelled their ill will upon seeing the four walk towards the back of the shop instead of taking up the shopkeeper’s valuable time. The four obviously had some connections to Blacksmith Tiehr, and at the very least should not impact their queue time. It was not as if Blacksmith Tiehr was freshly baking weapons and armor for the customers.

As Rein got closer to the back of the shop, he started hearing the sound of hammer and anvil. Upon walking through the backdoor into the backroom, he saw Blacksmith Tiehr, a large sweaty muscular man with arms thick beyond belief, smashing a piece of metal on an anvil with a huge hammer. 

Clang! Clang! Clang!

Each strike would unleash a thundering echo through the forge. The forge was radiating heat that warmed the soul-- perhaps a bit too much, and the source of the heat was the hearth, in which white glowing coal could be seen.

“Uncle Tiehr, what are you making today?”

Jein had always loved looking at Blacksmith Tiehr craft weapons. Well, all the young boys skulking around in the shopfront would too, if they had the chance. They clearly could not afford these weapons, yet would still skulk around the shop and stare at the weapons-on-display when they were allowed to. There was the occasional young girl seen appreciating some of these weapons as well, but that was comparatively more rare.

“Young sir. I am currently making the so-called ‘Spear of Heaven’. This is the epitome of blacksmithing and something that your parent’s company has a stake in!”

Rein could actually tell this right away with a single glance. This was because part of his education over the past few years had been to understand the weapons commonly referred to as ‘Spear of Heaven’, and Blacksmith Tiehr had taught him to appraise these kinds of weapons, as well as understand the crafting process.

Rein could not help but lament internally that Blacksmith Tiehr even demanded that he attempt to complete part of the crafting process. Blacksmith Tiehr believed that that understanding was best gained through action.

That was one of the toughest sessions Rein had experienced in his life, having to hammer metal into shape, not to mention, attempting to carve elementary aurae inscriptions onto the metal surface to strengthen and boost the strength of the weapon. In the end, it was a barely usable lump of metal...

Although the weapon refinement ended up being an abject failure, this may very well be why Rein appeared slightly bulkier compared to his compatriots of the same age. After that first session, Rein’s body adapted to the demands and he had only gotten stronger in the subsequent sessions with Blacksmith Tiehr.

His younger brother did not have Rein’s knowledge, thus he was comparatively more excited and keen about the new subject on the ‘Spear of Heaven’.

Jein loved coming here not only because of the weapons on display, but also the stories Blacksmith Tiehr told. It was rumored across town that Blacksmith Tiehr had experience in the advancer world. Blacksmith Tiehr never confirmed nor denied these rumors, but when pestered by children, he would undoubtedly tell mysterious tales that more or less confirmed the rumors. It would seem like he had a soft spot for children.

“The Spear of Heaven?”

Jein curiously looked at the clump of glowing red metal that Blacksmith Tiehr had been hammering away at with his bright and curious eyes, knowing that he was about to get another legendary tale.

Blacksmith Tiehr placed his craft onto the side. It seemed he was in no hurry with the craft and had completed a part of the crafting process and was happy to rest for now. He wiped his soot-covered square face with a wet cloth before taking a seat on a stool, facing the group of four. He looked warmingly at Jein, before slightly adjusting his already deep voice to further create a sense of mysteriousness.

“Yes indeed, the legendary Spear of Heaven!”

2