Chapter 10 // Husks
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10 // Husks

The sun clocked out and his sister took over the night shift. Behind the clouds were blue and purple gradients. Yoshi was cloaked and patrolling from the sky. While imperceptible to the uninitiated, augmented goggles, drones and the trained eye could spot it with ease. For this reason, Yoshi never ascended too high above the buildings. Tatsuki and Mocha jogged underneath the red torii gate and into the red light district. Unlike the rest of Omega, there were plenty of civvies walking around and establishments stayed open for business. Police usually avoided this area so it wasn’t uncommon to disregard any city-wide directives.

Yoshi flew down to Mocha and emitted a few unsettling beeps and boops. Mocha’s eyes got big. A black cube was hovering in the sky, appearing suddenly as if through teleportation. The outer frame of the cube was a slick black, but when the circular compartment opened from the bottom, the green guts of the ship were visible. Tiny particles dropped from the cube, the same way cleanup drones emptied their trash.

Mocha grabbed Tatsuki’s wrist and ran, hurting him a little with how tight her grip was. The blood on her palm rubbed into his wrist. The escape hatch for the bunker was only 3 minutes away.

Collective screams came from nearby.

They turned a corner and saw a group of husks. They looked like regular humans except for their decaying gray skin, red eyes and the missing chunks of flesh all across their body. They were feeding on a woman’s leg as she cried out for help. The cries ended as another husk put its forehead against hers and opened its mouth. A red fog transferred from the husk’s mouth into the woman’s and she began to convulse.

Her thrashing ceased and the husks stopped eating her. She stood up and her eyes shot open with the same red glow. She smiled like a wraith and ran toward the fleeing civilians. Every Omega civilian dispersed in all directions. Mocha drew her sword. Tatsuki aimed his pulse rifle and shot one of the husks in the face. The rest turned their heads toward him.

Tatsuki shot but missed most of his shots; they moved too fast to keep his aim steady. One threw its body toward them and continued pouncing as its only means of movement. Another ran with its back arched like its spine was broken. The one closest was sprinting like a track star, fingers straight and elbows locked. Every husk had its own unique screech and growl that utilized the voice box of the used-to-be human, spitting out the blood of their host with each vocalization.

Mocha did not hesitate and cut off the sprinter’s head in a sideways swipe. She let the one with a broken spine close the distance and repeated the same cutting motion in the other direction. Two heads were on the ground and the glowing eyes faded to normal. Mocha poised her stance to stab the pouncing one but Tatsuki shot it midair. It writhed on its back like throwing a temper tantrum until Mocha stabbed its spongy forehead.

Despite the relative ease at which they eliminated the husks, the screams and cries for help grew louder all around them. What the husks lacked in solo combat ability, their quick multiplication quickly became overwhelming. What started off as 10 soon became hundreds of innocents turned to flesh eating creatures—collateral damage for the greater good. A group of girls in neon fishnets shrieked from behind. Yoshi and Tatsuki took care of them while Mocha carved a path toward the bunker. She ran backwards to let the husks think she was easy prey to pounce on, then she would spin and sever their bodies with a counter attack.

The husks tore through everything and possessed one after another. Husbands ate wives, siblings ate siblings, all before they were “spared” of their torment by turning into a husk themselves. The only ones safe were the animals. The few birds spectated the carnage like it was just a regular day at Animal Farm.

Yoshi used up any spare bullets it had on the husks. After the bot ran out of ammunition, it flew around stabbing one after another in the brain. The infected poured out from every building and chased down any human with a heartbeat. The streets looked like a parade was being held, or a concert with not enough real estate to hold all the attendees.

Mocha and Tatsuki were close to the house with a gardenia flower—the bunker was beneath the building. Mocha cut through hundreds of these creatures and Tatsuki’s pulse rifle had cooled 12 times already, making the gun unbearably hot. The husks were closing in.

Matriarch Ebiru was interfacing from the Citadel and saw her precious husks being mutilated through their own eyes. She did not recognize Tatsuki, but Mocha… She had seen her before… She gave the location to the Peacekeeper general who relayed the information to Squad 3. Another black cube appeared over the red light district. Three Peacekeepers ominously floated down from the craft. Before landing from their slow descent, Mariarch Ebiru did another bloodletting and gave a command to the spirit in charge of the husks. The infected all fell into mangled positions, ready to be collected by proper Citadel officials.

“Tatsuki! That house right there!”

Mocha cut three husks into bits.

“Damn it! Follow Yoshi!”

“But what about you?!” Tatsuki replied.

Mocha cut until they had some breathing room. She grabbed Tatsuki by the hand and pulled him to the house, kicked open the door and violently pushed him inside. He fell onto his back and she shut the door. He heard her footsteps travel away from the house.

Yoshi used its claws to remove the coverings from the bunker hole and opened the hatch. Tatsuki was in a daze. He wanted to go out and help her… Was this the last time they would see each other? No… I don’t want it to end like this. Yoshi got his attention and he snapped out of his indecision. Trust her… However unwilling, he followed Yoshi down the hole, covered it with the metal floorboard and shut the hatch.

Mocha needed to draw the Peacekeepers away from the bunker before escaping, otherwise they would be found in no time. It would jeopardize everything she and her Genesis brethren had worked for. There was no other choice.

Tatsuki’s mind was turbulent like the sea as he stepped down the ladder. He did his best to focus on the act of climbing; one slip and he would tumble down and surely be dead. He wanted to vomit… Somehow, he reached the bottom, turned around and wanted to fall to his hands and knees, but instead… He saw a gun in his face.

“Who are you?!” The blonde man trembled as he held the gun, lightly holding the trigger. Tatsuki hovered his hands in the air. Yoshi moved in front of the gun and shook side to side, then projected a screen of the mission data. It contained portraits of Tatsuki Piyoto, Yuki Kamado, Ichigo Urameshi and all the children that were to be part of the exodus led by Mocha.

“Ichigo,” Yuki stood up from her corner of the room where the children were. “I know this man. I met him earlier. He is with her, the purple-eyed woman. Mocha?” She pointed at the hologram that displayed her name and picture.

Ichigo looked back at the blue haired nurse. He lowered the barrel.

“Where is she?” Ichigo asked.

“Mocha? I don’t know… She told me to go on without her. I don’t know why…” Tatsuki said with a distressed heart. He looked around at the bunker. In one corner was Yuki Kamado. She was no longer in her scrubs and was wearing black pants and a camouflage poncho, the same as Ichigo. The children also had this outfit on. Yuki’s hair looked slightly wet like she had just taken a shower. She kept her shoes on just in case they needed to retreat. There was a kawaii black cat curled up near the children, looking at Tatsuki like he disturbed his peace. He went back to sleep as the commotion died down.

“Sorry about that. I’m Ichigo Urameshi,” he extended a hand and they shook.

“It’s all good, I understand. I’m Tatsuki Piyoto.”

“Arigato. I have to protect them, you know… It’s not just me anymore.”

Tatsuki nodded. The scent of broth stirred his stomach and a growl filled the bunker. Yuki laughed from across the room.

“I’ll get him a bowl,” Yuki said. Ichigo grabbed one of the spare blankets and pillows from the wall and handed it to Tatsuki. He found a blank space and made a spot for himself.

He couldn’t relax just yet. He set his bag and rifle down against the wall and stared into the fire, hoping that the flames would warm up his mind and cook up some ideas… He had to help Mocha… He had to do something! Should he go back for her? Disobey her direct orders like he did at the mall? No, this was different… Those husks were terrifying. Even with my pulse rifle, what would I do if one actually grabbed me and… Ate me… Possessed me??? Oh God… Mocha… Damn my weakness… Damn it all… Damn you, Omega… If only—

“Here you go,” Yuki broke his thoughts and offered him a bowl of broth with a plastic spoon. “Are you hurt?”

Tatsuki remembered he was covered in blood. “No, no, I’m ok…”

Yuki looked all over his face with concern. “Tatsuki?” Yuki took the shaking bowl from him and set it on the table. Tatsuki had spilled a bit of broth on the floor. She motioned her palms up to her chest. Tatsuki grumbled and took off the top of his hospital scrubs. She inspected the cut that the torturer made; surprisingly, it was healing well. Tatsuki had not been hit a single time the entire journey. He almost didn’t believe it himself; he looked around his body expecting to find something and feel the pain upon witnessing a hidden cut or bullet, but found nothing.

“There is a shower, down the hall with hot water.” She said the last part like it was something she was excited to share.

“Please, get yourself cleaned up.” Yuki looked at her sleeping kids. That’s right, Tatsuki thought—best not to terrify the children with his blood-drenched appearance. He wondered if Yuki would be saying the same thing to Mocha… Probably not… How could anyone try telling her what to do?

And just like that, his thoughts were on her again… He stared blankly at his own internal imagery of the woman. Yuki put the back of her hand on his forehead, waking him from his pondering. Tatsuki finally realized that he was shaking.

“Here—go down the hall. Don’t forget your food. I’ll grab your bag.” Yuki pointed in the direction of the latrine. Tatsuki followed her instructions. He grabbed his bowl, trying not to spill the broth as he traversed down the hallway and stepped into the latrine. It was like a gym shower room with a wooden seat along the wall. The tiled floors were tilted to allow drainage. Two shower heads hung from the ceiling. The lights were square tiles on the wall that mimicked daylight peering through a window.

He set his food down on the seat. Yuki stood outside the door and handed him the bag and he set it down. Ichigo handed him a stack of fresh clothes; the same outfit they were all wearing. Stretchy black waterproof pants, shirt and a camouflage poncho.

“Do you need help?” Yuki asked gently.

“No… I think I’ll be ok… Thank you, Yuki. You’re very kind…”

She smiled, but her eyes were concerned. She nodded to Ichigo as she walked back to the campfire.

“Take your time comrade. I spent an hour in here earlier… I get it… We’ll knock if anything happens, alright?” Ichigo extended his hand, and Tatsuki gave him a firm one. Ichigo shut the door behind him. Tatsuki sat down and sipped the still steaming bowl of broth. It was so good… He finished it with a few gulps. His body absorbed all the nutrients greedily and he felt like his brain cells finally respawned. Goosebumps trickled across his face and down his body.

Tatsuki stripped and turned on the shower. The water was pleasantly hot.

He didn’t know why, but he started to cry, covering his mouth to conceal the noise of his weakness. He sobbed for a long time and felt pathetic… Little did he know that Yuki and Ichigo had done the same thing earlier for their own reasons.

0