c102.5
164 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Today, as usual, Claudia called me to the royal palace, and I was being guided to Claudia's detached palace by Cassandra, who had been introduced to me the other day.

 Looking at her back, I thought she was a beautiful girl with a slender figure and good posture.

Baumgarten-sama?"

"Hmm?"

 Usually, Cassandra guides me in silence, but today, she looked back at me and called out to me.

 What's wrong?

"Is Master Baumgarten thinking of the princess?"

'About Her Highness Claudia, ......?'

"I apologize for that ....... I am sorry, but I must be frank. Do you love the Princess?"

"Oh, love?!"

 All I can recall is Claudia kissing me on the cheek.
For some reason, I felt embarrassed. My face is probably red.

"No, it's ......, how should I say it, ......!"

"I think I've got it all pretty much straight. Next question."

Next?

What do you think of the current situation of Count Baumgarten's family, Master Baumgarten?

"The situation of my family? What is it?"

 I don't know if I can say this myself, but I think it's riding a wave.

 After all, a minor aristocrat baron is now a count. I can say that I am rising in the ranks to the point that everyone envies me. It's smooth sailing. The only problem is that his territory is not very big, but he has plenty of money, so it should be fine if it is developed from now on.

 By the way, the king said that he would give me his daughter if I could acquire the power to be a count, but that was just lip service, right?

 If it is true, who do I want to marry, Eleonore or Claudia?

 I'm .......

'Don't tell me you are unaware of the problems surrounding the Countess Baumgarten family?"

"What?"

 Cassandra looks at me as if she can't believe what she's hearing. The problems surrounding my family? Is there something wrong with ......?

 I thought about it, but I couldn't think of anything.

 But Cassandra said that the Countess Baumgarten family has problems.

I'm ashamed to say that until recently my family was an obscure minor aristocrat. I am not familiar with the subtleties of the nobility in the capital. Tell me, while you're embarrassing me, what is your family's problem? What kind of problems does my family have?"

 I bowed to Cassandra and asked her for help. It is probably unheard of for a nobleman to bow down to a servant. But if there is a problem with my family, with Cornelia or Lily, I will do whatever it takes to solve it.

Please lift up your heads. I will tell you everything I know. So please, lift up your head quickly. If they see you like this, they will insult you!

, "Oh, I'd be insulted if I were seen like this! Thank you."

'Listen to me, Master Baumgarten. From now on, you must never bow to a servant. It is not you personally, but your house, your family, that will be insulted."

"I understand. ......"

 I tried to be sincere, but it seems the problem is bigger than I thought. If it was just me personally, that would be fine, but I don't want Cornelia and Lily to be belittled because of me.

"Excuse me, but I think Baumgarten-sama should learn some common sense as an aristocrat. ......"

"Haha ......."

 Cassandra looked somewhat tired. I couldn't help but laugh. Because, suddenly, a minor aristocrat has become a count. Where do I learn the etiquette of a count?

So, what was my family's problem?"

'It was. To put it simply, jealousy and envy."

"Jealous ......?"

"Yes. The Counts Baumgarten rose rapidly in the ranks of the barons. There were certainly some outstanding achievements that deserved the title. But there are those who do not see it that way."

............

 The jealousy of those surrounding me. ....... I hadn't thought about that at all.

"Especially the barons and viscounts, who are bitter about the Counts Baumgarten's expansion. And the Counts will be wary of a new rival. Maybe even other marquises ....... And then there is the frontier count family of Hübner, which has had its own problems from the start. The Counts of Baumgarten have problems with these nobles."

 At this young age, she is organizing the maids who serve Claudia. As expected of Cassandra, the granddaughter of a general. She has a lot of information. And she must be smart, too. Her explanations are concise and easy to understand.

 Anyway, my family, which I thought was sailing smoothly, seems to be in a very dangerous position.

"And this is the biggest problem of all: the Counts of Baumgarten are not related to anyone. It is surrounded by enemies and has no allies."

"I see. ......"

 Originally, I was a minor aristocrat with no ties or connections to other aristocrats. ...... The other nobles probably don't even know that Baumgarten was a nobility at all.

 Baumgarten is now a count. However, my power is the same as when I was a baron. I guess it's worth beating up to get rid of the sorrow. ......

'Right now they're looking to see who will take the lead, so it's not out in the open, but there are forces trying to attack the Baumgarten countesses. And, although they are busy at the moment, if the Hübner frontier counts make a move, they will be able to ....... You get the idea, right?"

"The Hübner frontier counts could take the lead and attack the Counts of Baumgarten. ......"

Yes. ......

 I don't know where the Hübner frontier counts are getting to, but Baumgarten is haunted by them.

 And I don't even know who is an enemy and who is a ally.

 If they come to visit the palace without any countermeasures, I can understand why Cassandra would be worried. ......

"Thank you for letting me know. You've been a great help.'

No, ....... That ......, if there was someone who could blow all those problems away, would you value them?"

Of course!""

 Honestly, I don't know what to do anymore. I don't know who is my friend or foe, and I don't know what is the right thing to do. If there was someone who could help me out of a situation like this, I would value that person. It's a given. I would be indebted to him for the rest of my life.

"If so, I will make the move."

What?

 Cassandra's move? Maybe she's going to ask General Grandpa to move it for her?

"I'd be very grateful. How can I thank you ....... But why would Cassandra go to such lengths?"

 Cassandra replies with a soft smile.

'It's all for the Princess."

 ◇

Since then, I have also had conversations with Cassandra when I see Claudia. Apparently, she loves Claudia. I even feel that her love for Claudia may be a little too strong.

 I think she is trying to help me because she loves Claudia.

 I'm blessed to have good people in my life. I'm not proud to be a count, but I'm grateful for the people I have in my life.

 Cassandra is amazing, by the way. She knows not only about Claudia, but also about the etiquette of the nobility, and she's very well informed.

 The other day she said to me .....

"I'm sorry to ask this out of the blue, but ......"

"Is something wrong?"

"Should I bring something for you in this case? You know, like snacks?"

"There is no clear rule, but most people bring a souvenir."

"I knew it ....... But I don't know what I should bring ...... even if it's called a souvenir."

"How about some sweets from Belle Merle, which has a store in the capital? The princess is very fond of them.""

"Is that so?"

Yes. I especially recommend the cookies. And don't tell her that you heard about them from me."

"? Okay."

 In the end, I gave the cookies to Claudia without telling her that Cassandra told me, and she was very pleased. But still, why wasn't I allowed to tell her that Cassandra told me? I think Cassandra's share would go up if I told her. ......

 Well, aside from that, it's hard to believe that such a thoughtful granddaughter could be born from that typhoon-like Grandpa General, huh?

1