Chapter 13
19 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jack woke up with Octavia in his arms.

He felt fully rested and ready to take on the world.

“Morning, handsome,”” Octavia purred near his ear.

“Morning, beautiful,” he smiled back at her.

The two got ready for breakfast.

“Zodark, today looks like it's going to be quite sunny. We can have a picnic for lunch,” she smiled.

“I don’t think I’ll make it. I have important stuff to research.”

“Then maybe tomorrow?”

Jack stared at Octavia. Does she honestly want them to spend every day together?

“I make no promises, Octavia. Let’s just enjoy our breakfast.”

She nodded sullenly.

The next half an hour was spent eating in silence. Then he bid her farewell.

As usual, Jack had the privy meeting.

Isoldea was early and so was Pec. Jack had arrived just in time.

The meeting was delayed for five minutes as they waited for Leofric.

When he arrived, he apologised.

“I didn’t mean to be late, my lord. I didn’t get much sleep.”

“Why?” Jack asked.

“The expedition forces. I had to make sure they were ready. But I’m not sure they’re there yet. Maybe three more days and then they’ll be fine.”

“Very well, I trust your judgement.”

So the meeting commenced. Jack informed them more about the village he discovered and how they gave him tribute to apologise for attacking him.

After this meeting, he had to go to the throne room and meet with the department heads. As usual, it was boring as you’d expect.

When Jack got his free time around lunch, he went to his study room and pulled out the bracelet from his [Inventory].

The bracelet wasn’t glowing. He didn’t know if that was a good or bad thing.

[Appraise].

Item: Demonic Teleportation Bracelet

Description: A bracelet used in the demon army of [@G&8933]. The item was used for communication purposes and most importantly, to quickly deploy army units in a battlefield.

The demon army of who? The [Appraise] skill did shed some light on what this bracelet was. But he didn’t know the name of the person it belonged to. Maybe his [Appraise] skill wasn’t high enough.

Jack leaned back on his stool.

A part of him wanted to put the bracelet on. But the last time it didn’t come off. Then again, Octavia was able to remove it for some reason. Strange.

What the heck, you only live once. So Jack put on the bracelet on his left wrist.

[1 Message Unread!]

Show Message?

Jack selected ‘Yes’

A screen with a message opened before him:

Commander,

Where are you? We need you. Are you drunk again? The [Demon King] will not be pleased if so.

Hurry up! My head is also on the line.

We’ve pinned the forces of the elves. Their infantry is fully engaged with our own. But you must lead the attack now. Strike them from behind.

Make haste! We can’t afford to be defeated

I await your attack,
Lieutenant-General Deinvurh o’ Elmoin

Jack remembered the dead guy who was well dread nearby Daniel’s village. Was this the guy who this message was for?
Jack tried removing the bracelet.

It easily got off him. So why only now does it easily come off?

Jack shook his head. One thing he knew, this world had some schemes going on without his knowledge.

And this is the second time he’s heard of the elves.

Jack returned the bracelet to his [Inventory]. He didn’t know what to do next.

The quicker the demons get themselves prepared for an eventual fight, the better off they’ll come out of it.

So he had no choice but to test the current level of preparedness.


20 [Guards] were outside in a field with Jack and Leofric. According to Leofric, they were the best the palace had.

“Today, you’ve been selected for an important exercise. According to your general, you lot are the cream of the crop. I want you to prove it to me.”

The guards looked uneasily at Jack.

“Don’t be afraid… unless you’re weak,” Jack grinned. “[Summon] Frost Wyvern!”

A magic circle opened on the ground. The earth trembled and out flew a silver-blue wyvern.

It flew above them and screeched at the guards.

“I want you to lower the health bar of the wyvern. Its HP must go below the half-way point. You have ten minutes to figure out a plan among each other. I suggest you compliment your classes in order to take down the beast.”

Leofric approached Jack and whispered in his ears, “My lord, this is a level 25 beast. Don’t you think this fight will be too much for them?”

“If an enemy attacks us, Leofric, they won’t show any mercy. They won’t stop their attack just because our level is too small. If these soldiers are the best, they should be able to improvise.”

“Forgive me for questioning you, my lord,” Leofric bowed.

“At ease, general. You care for them and that is noble.But I need to see their strength in an actual fight.”
The twenty guards whispered among themselves and took up their formations.

The five [Guards] who had large shields were placed in front. The six [Guards] who had ranged weapons were split and placed on both flanks and the remaining [Guards] who had swords, axes and spears were in the middle.

An interesting formation. Though Jack wondered if he should allow them to have a magic user. A [Court Mage] would help immensely in this exercise.

“My lord, the ten minutes are up,” Leofric informed him.

“Very well, let the battle begin!”

The wyvern went first. Its first attack was [Icy Breathe]. Not only does this attack dish out frost damage, it also decreases the speed of the individual who gets attacked.

“SHIELD WALL!” the guards with shields shouted.

Their shields glowed green and a magic shield was created. It deflected the attack from the wyvern.

Next, the guards drew their arrows and javelins and attacked.

The wyvern flapped its wings and redirected the attacks against the guards.

“SHIELD WALL!”

The arrows and javelins that returned were blocked.

So far the match wasn’t that interesting. The guards are able to defend themselves but how can they defeat a flying monster.

The wyvern screeched.

Icicles formed around it.

Jack knew this attack very well. It’s called [Ice Missiles]. That shield wall will be tested.

A barrage of icicles were launched at the guards.

“SHIELD WALL!”

As the icicles cracked at the shield wall, the field got covered in frosty mist. The visibility diminished significantly.

Jack heard swords clanging. Then the wyvern screamed.

The ground shook. In the mist, Jack could see the wyvern on the ground.
He smiled, impressed that they managed to ground the beast.

The second scream he heard was not from the wyvern but a person. Then the sound of bone cracking was heard.

This mist was becoming a problem.

“Leofric, get rid of this mist.”

“My lord, won’t this help the guards.”

“I want to be able to see the fight.”

“[Wind Roar]!”

Leofric roared so loudly that the mist was blown away. Finally Jack could see the battlefield clearly.

One of the guards was injured and was lying motionless on the ground. The rest were still fighting the beast.

“Should we take that guard to the infirmary?” asked Leofric.

“Not until the battle is done. If they want to save their friend, they better fight more ferociously.”

The guards continued the fight. The brave would engage the wyvern directly. Those with shields protected them as best as they could.

But more and more of them would fall to the ground.

A third of the wyvern’s health bar was gone. But only three guards were left standing, still clinging to the hope of defeating the beast.

“[Recall].”

The wyvern was returned.

Leofric kneeled before Jack. “I deserve to be punished, my lord. I haven’t trained them properly.”

“Nonsense. They need mages in their squad. But also potions. Health potions obviously but also boosters to help them in the fight. I think I have more confidence now that they could defeat these Frost Giants.”

These guards fought bravely even though they hadn’t used magic or healing potions in their fight. Most players make use of potions in a fight.

“I’ll try to implement your suggestion,” Leofric stated.

“Good.”

Hopefully that’d be enough to win.

0