Ch 7 – How Hope Holds
109 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey guys. Still healing up but I've been in a good enough mental state to write a bit. I've even started work on another story but I expect that one to be rather short. Anyway this chapter still goes along the lines of the last one.

I had no idea how long I had slept but I woke up in pain some time later. Taking stock of myself I realized that they'd just stemmed the flow of blood so I wouldn't die and then left my wounds open and uncleaned. They seemed to be intentionally allowing me to get infected so that I would talk. These chumps didn't know who they were dealing with clearly. I could suffer an illness like it was nobody's business and take them with me. I wasn't going to get long to muse though judging by the new face lounging by the door. 

"Ah you're awake. How do you feel, kitty? Quite bad I'd imagine. If only you were sensible you could stop this pain, get fixed up, and join us. Even if we're animals we don't have to be bad," This new person was covered in armor plating on their back and seemed to stand about half a foot above me from what I could guess. "After all, it wouldn't be bad to work for the winning side, right?" 

"I'm already on the winning side. We're going to succeed in our goal and there's nothing you chumps can do to stop us. You might be able to delay us but you can't stop us. Hell you can't even break me." 

"It's only been one session, darling kitty. If you keep up like this for too long you're going to lose more than just hope." Approaching the table she lay on they dug a nail into one of her wounds and twisted until she screamed. With a smile they plucked a collar from next to her and clicked it in place. 

"Oh no, a shock collar, whatever will I do? It's so threatening and hard to deal with. This is the most evil thing you could have do-" The shock of electricity cutting off her sarcasm was expected but the length wasn't. When it ended she could only pant and glare. "This isn't going to break me. I'll keep hoping and proving idiots wro- Aaaa!!" 

"Such crude language from someone who claims to be superior. Why if you were superior you wouldn't have fallen for such a simple trap, now would you?" The armadillo smirked as they shocked her with an even stronger current than before. Of course they were taking pleasure in this. "Now I'm going to ask you a series of questions and you're going to answer them. First question is how we get into those lovely goggles of yours." 

"Haha, you don't. They literally won't respond to you. Fun thing is we're actually smart enough to not just make our tech super accessible." She couldn't help but grin as she answered truthfully. This was so easy to taunt them with. She was grateful for the DNA lock that was built into each pair of the things. 

"I don't quite like that answer. How do I know you aren't lying to me?" They leaned down close to her face and Layla just laughed in response, devolving into giggles that were cut off with another shock. "You seem to think you're entertaining. Believe me, you're quite dull and I can not wait to be out of this room. Second question, where is your headquarters located?" 

"Honestly? Fuck if I know. This is my first time leaving it since I got to this city. I wasn't even conscious when I got here. You're really not going to get anything useful out of me." 

"What a dissatisfying answer. I really hope you learn to quit lying soon because it isn't helping you," Another long, powerful zap. This one was extreme and the lynx screamed louder than she thought she could. They were serious about breaking her down. "Next question is who recruited you. I'd appreciate a straightforward answer." 

"Okay, how about this one? Go fuck yourself. I'm not giving away any of my friends. I'm certainly not giving away the person who helped me to fucking walk again." 

"You are just a constant disappointment. Clearly our little shock therapy isn't working so let's try something else." 

"Oh you're giving up on something quickly too? Everyone in your company is a quitter so far and I honestly pity your lack of resolve. Also your lack of intelligence." 

"We'll teach you to think better about your actions. Now how about this one?" As they responded they pulled up what appeared to be a woodworking pen without a cord. Without hesitation they pressed it against the skin of her collarbone and began burning something into her, dragging it slowly down and across her chest. "You'll be a work of art by the time we're done with you. And you'll be so obedient, a well trained cat. Unlike your parents we know how to discipline brats." 

"I don't.. give a damn.. about your stupid.. ideals and goals.. You fucks.. are evil…" Layla's breathing was ragged as her body tried to pull back from the weapon being used on it. She was doing her best not to scream even as her fear grew. How long could her hope hold out? Would her friends come in time? "I am better than you.." 

"You don't sound very sure. It sounds like you're starting to rethink things. Your eyes are certainly giving away that you're filling with fear and respect. Now I'll ask you again, what method do we use to access your goggles?" 

"None, you can't.. None of you ever will.." 

"You will quit lying, little cat." The pen casually flicked across her neck, drawing a shaky hiss out of her. 

"I'm not lying.. Only I can access them.. They're designed that way.." 

"This answer is dissatisfying, I'm sure you know. I'm sure you believe it to be true though. Now about your base, the truth this time." 

"I don't.. fucking know.. The answer isn't.. gonna change.." She was starting to feel severely sick and gosh she hated these people. Maybe she should.. Another burn down her uninjured arm both made her cry out and confirmed her plan. 

"No more lies or I will push down until it burns through muscle. I'm tired of the games. You are in facilities belonging to a government approved company. They will pay us for capturing and breaking you. They will not care how much damage you sustain so long as our goals are furthered. Now tell me the name of your recruiter and the location of your hideout." The animosity in their voice made Layla mewl and shake slightly even as she began her plan. 

"I do not know where the hideout is located. Hell, I'm not even sure where this building is. I will not betray my friends and I will not break. You will literally kill me before that happens." Despite the fear causing her body to shake, her voice was strong and full of conviction. 

"Wrong answer, child. Unless of course you actually want this pain." The pen started digging down into her arm as promised and another scream was ripped from her throat which decidedly felt torn up at this point. With a final whimper as it was taken out she fainted a second time. Every breath she took spread the disease racking her body into the air. With any luck it would spread through the whole facility before her immune system completely crushed it down.

6