Chapter 8: Akane the Kitsune, and The Darkness of Whispering Pines Part 1
95 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The realization struck me hard, the implications of that collar sending a wave of understanding crashing over me. This Kitsune wasn't just any forest dweller caught by goblins; she was a captive, possibly the very "charming fox" the Love Goddess had hinted at in her note. My focus sharpened, a newfound resolve bolstering my spirits as I raised my hands, channeling my elemental magic with more confidence than I'd ever felt.

Aiming carefully, I summoned a gust of wind, not just as an attack but as a strategic move to disrupt the goblins' formation, giving Yuki the opening she needed to strike more effectively. The wind howled through the clearing, leaves and debris caught in its fervent dance as it swept the goblins off their feet, scattering them and sowing confusion in their ranks.

Yuki, seizing the opportunity, moved with lethal precision. Her staff glowed with a brilliant light as she called upon her elemental magic, creating a spectacle of fire and ice that danced at her command. The goblins, now disoriented and divided, stood no chance against her onslaught. One by one, they fell, until only silence remained, punctuated by the heavy breathing of those who had fought.

The Kitsune, now free from the immediate threat, collapsed to her knees, her fox ears drooping in exhaustion. Her eyes, a vibrant shade of gold, met mine, and in them, I saw not just gratitude but a depth of sorrow and weariness that spoke of long-held burdens.

Yuki approached her slowly, an offering of peace in her posture. "It's okay, you're safe now," she assured her, her voice gentle, a stark contrast to the storm she had been moments before. The Kitsune looked up at Yuki, her gaze flickering between us, a silent question in her eyes.

"I'm Yuki, and this is Lily. We're here to help," Yuki continued, extending a hand to help her up. The Kitsune hesitated for a moment before accepting the help, standing on shaky legs. The collar around her neck, now clearly visible, seemed to be of a make neither of us recognized, its surface etched with runes that glowed faintly.

"We should get you out of here," I suggested, stepping closer, my concern for her well-being growing by the second. "Do you have a name?"

The Kitsune's lips parted, and after a moment of hesitation, she spoke, her voice soft yet carrying an underlying strength. "I am Akane," she said, her tail giving a cautious wag.

"I am glad we got to you in time, but your injured all over." I said worry filled my voice as I looked at Akane. My eyes were than drown to the collar that was latched onto her neck, to which covered with her hands showing a frightened look.

"Analyze" I chant outloud, while gesturing for Yuki to do the same.

As I focused on Akane, the runes on the collar began to glow more intensely, revealing the hidden truths bound within. The status that materialized before us was a stark revelation, a window into Akane's suffering and servitude.

Akane's Status:

Name: Akane
Race: Kitsune
Age: Unknown
Level: 35
Titles: Enslaved Fox – A curse of slavery binds this being to the one who holds the key to their collar, stripping away freedom and autonomy.
Stats:
Strength: 45
Vitality: 70
Speed: 85
Mind: 60
Charm: Infinite – A natural allure that transcends physical bounds, yet marred by the shadow of enslavement.
Skills:
Illusion Magic (Advanced): Can create vivid illusions, manipulating perceptions to a high degree.
Spiritual Fire (Intermediate): Wields fire that can cleanse and purify, or harm enemies depending on the wielder's intent.
Analyze (Basic): Gains insights into others, though currently suppressed by the collar's curse.
Curse of Slavery: Forced obedience to the holder of the collar, a dark magic that binds the soul and body to servitude.

Owner: Chief Edran

As the details of Akane's status became clear, a deep, simmering anger took root within me. The injustice of her bondage, enforced by a device of cruel intent, was a stark affront to the freedom every being deserved. My hands clenched into fists, my breaths coming in sharp, ragged intakes as the reality of her enslavement sank in.

Tears welled up in my eyes, not just for Akane's plight but for the broader injustice it represented. It was Yuki's gentle touch, her lips meeting mine in a soft, calming kiss, that brought me back from the edge of my despair. Her arms enveloped me in a hug that felt like an anchor in the tumultuous storm of my emotions.

Akane, witnessing the depth of my response, the sheer empathy and anger on her behalf, seemed taken aback. For someone who had likely been viewed and treated as nothing more than property, the display of genuine concern and emotional turmoil for her well-being was perhaps a rarity. She looked at me, her golden eyes shimmering with unshed tears, a mixture of gratitude and a budding sense of affection evident in her gaze.

"I'm sorry," I whispered through my tears, "I'm so sorry you had to endure this, Akane."

Akane's voice, when she spoke, was laced with a newfound warmth, her hand reaching out to touch mine gently. "Thank you, Lily, Yuki... for seeing me as more than just... this," she said, her gaze dropping momentarily to the collar before meeting mine again. "No one has shown me such kindness, such anger on my behalf, in a long time."

Yuki, her protective stance unwavering, spoke up, her voice firm yet tinged with compassion. "We will find a way to remove this collar, Akane. You are not alone anymore. We are with you, and together, we'll ensure your freedom.

"I think I know a way." I state while after calming down, but I worried about using that skill without talking to Yuki first. But It seemed my worry was for nought as Yuki held my hand and said, "You want to see if your healing kiss will work since it is a curse, am I right?"

"Yuki...is that okay, I didn't want to decide without asking you first, but I believe Akane is the charming fox that the goddess told us about." I reply feeling even more love for Yuki who seems to always know what I am thinking.

Akane's reaction to the mention of the Goddess was immediate and profound. Her golden eyes widened, a flicker of recognition—or perhaps, realization—passing through them. She looked from me to Yuki, her expression a mixture of surprise and relief, as if a puzzle piece had finally clicked into place within her mind.

"The Goddess... has been reaching out to me," Akane confessed, her voice tinged with wonder. "In the depths of my captivity, when despair seemed my only companion, I began to have visions. Visions of being freed, not by might or power, but by the heart of the new hero. Visions filled with love and kindness... visions that, I now understand, were about you, Lily."

Her tail twitched nervously, yet her gaze remained locked with mine, an unspoken connection forming as her words sank in. The realization that the Goddess had intertwined our fates, guiding us toward one another, was overwhelming. It was as if destiny itself had woven a thread connecting our souls, leading us through the darkness toward the light of hope and freedom.

"I... I didn't know what to make of those visions at first," Akane continued, her voice growing stronger with each word. "But seeing you here now, feeling the sincerity of your emotions, the depth of your resolve... It's clear to me that the Goddess's guidance was true. You are the hero she spoke of, Lily."

Yuki squeezed my hand in support, a silent affirmation of our shared purpose. "Lily's heart is boundless, Akane. If there's even the slightest chance her healing kiss can break the curse binding you, we have to try. Not just because the Goddess led us here, but because it's the right thing to do."

Tears brimmed in Akane's eyes once more, not of sorrow, but of gratitude and a burgeoning hope. "To think that after all this time, after all the darkness, the Goddess would send someone like you to save me... It's more than I dared to hope for."

Gathering my courage, bolstered by Yuki's unwavering support and Akane's trust, I stepped closer to Akane. "Let's free you from this curse, Akane. Let's prove that love and kindness can triumph over darkness."

With a deep breath, I leaned in, pressing my lips gently to Akane's forehead, right above the cursed collar. The air around us seemed to still, charged with a palpable energy as I channeled every ounce of my intention, every whisper of love and healing through the kiss.

The runes on the collar began to glow, pulsating with a light that grew brighter and brighter, until, with a soft sigh, they dimmed and went dark. The collar unlatched, falling harmlessly to the ground, its hold on Akane broken.

Akane gasped, her hands flying to her neck, eyes wide in disbelief. Then, slowly, a smile spread across her face, radiant and free. "I... I'm free," she whispered, tears of joy streaming down her cheeks. "Thank you, Lily. Thank you, Yuki. I am forever in your debt."

Yuki and I embraced Akane, with laying her head on my chest purring with happiness as her tails continuously swayed back and forth while whispering, "Thank you, thank you so much." I pet her ears calming her as tears started to flow from all three of us.

"Let's go back," I said, my voice steady with newfound resolve. "Let's go back and confront Chief Edran. It's time to bring the truth to light and ensure that no one else suffers as Akane did."

Yuki held my hand with an affirming grip on my left side, and I reached for Akane who hestiantly held my right hand as well. She then looked at me with a worried gaze, "Lily, Yuki, their is more happening in that village than meets the eye, Edran has forced the locals to due as he wishes, and he made a deal with the goblins to attack the village to keep the villagers scared in exchange for unsuspecting adventurers. I couldn't take it anymore and fought against him no matter how pain the collar sent through me, after I collapsed he gave me to the goblins to do what they wish."

Hearing Akane's revelation sent a chill down my spine. The depth of Chief Edran's betrayal and cruelty was far worse than we had imagined. It wasn't just a matter of a cursed collar or the enslavement of a single Kitsune; it was the manipulation and terrorizing of an entire village for his own gain. The fact that he had conspired with the goblins, trading the safety of his people for control and power, painted a picture of a man who had lost all semblance of morality and compassion.

Yuki's grip on my hand tightened, her resolve steeling further. "This... this is unforgivable," she said, her voice a low growl of anger. "We cannot let this stand. We must expose him, not just for Akane, but for all the people of Whispering Pines Village."

Akane looked between us, her newfound freedom mingling with the fear of confronting her tormentor. But as she held my hand, I felt her grip strengthen, a silent declaration of her willingness to stand with us against Edran. "I... I will testify. I will tell everyone what he has done. With your help, maybe... maybe we can free them all," she said, her voice gaining confidence.

Author Notes: Hello Everyone~, I hope you day/night has been good. I know this chapter dosen't have many cute moments, but I promise after next chapter, it will go back to the diabetes giving sugary sweetness you've come to know with this series. I hope you enjoyed the chapter, let me know your thoughts in the comments. Until next time, Bye-bye~

5