The Slave and the Giant
55 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Copper eyes stared back at themselves in the reflection of the small, scratched and smudged mirror in her quarters while attempting to buff the imperfections in the mirror out with a rag. Her quarters felt chokingly confining, with rough stone walls and floor. A thin straw mattress lay in the corner, her only place to sleep. The lone window barred and let in only faint streams of sunlight. Signs of her enslavement were everywhere - iron shackles hung from the walls, and her meager belongings kept in a small wooden trunk, etched with the Prince’s seal. Vibrant dark blue hair pulled into a braid that ran from her scalp to the middle of her back. From her earliest memory, she’d served the Seelie Crown Family. A variety of tattoos adorned her flesh, all to symbolize that she was merely property. Her body was sore from the cruelty he’d expressed upon her the night before. In her youth, she fought back with a spur of rebellion. Now? After centuries, she simply accepted it.

The morning grows late. Perhaps his majesty has drunken himself stupid? She thought, an errant glimmer of hope that she would have a day or two free from him. He never could handle his spirits well.

 The abrupt slam against her door before the Prince shouted out through the wood startled her breathless. “Ready yourself! The King has summoned us to his private chambers.” His voice, despite its enchanting elegance, left her skin feeling as if an ichor ran down her back. 

I would take the Feywilds over another day of his torment. She silently plead to the gods.

When she opened the door, the Prince stood tall and handsome before stomping off to his room, with sharp features and flowing golden hair pulled back elegantly. He wore robes of the finest silks accented with jewels and gold filigree. His crystalline etherium dagger glinted at his hip from the soft glow of arcane light from the sconces lining the walls. To any passerby, he appeared every bit a regal Fae noble. But when Nova met his eyes, their beauty was only superficial. Behind the striking emerald color was a deep, piercing malice. It was the look of a cat toying with its prey before the killing bite.

The Prince’s charm and fair appearance hid the blackness of his soul, which Nova had suffered from for centuries. She knew the cruelty he could inflict with merely a word or flick of his wrist.

Nova stepped out of her room and stood with her arms behind her back, and head lowered. She stood patiently for near ten minutes until the Prince came from his own room wearing his most regal robes and jewelry along with his royal etherium dagger at his hip. As he walked past her without a word, he snatched her by the braid and dragged her along with him, tears already rushing to her eyes; she attempted to keep up with him but the way he pulled her at made it difficult, and even caused her to trip and fall into a stone wall. These were the moments that made her wish the Prince’s wrath would finally end her, even when she put in her best efforts, and did as told there was only ever a harsh hand. 

“Nova, get up!” The Prince shouted at her, dark orange magic glowing at his fingertips as she slowly pushed herself up. Alas, she wasn’t quick enough to her feet, and the Prince summoned his magic to course through her body across the slave markings, and her entire body felt as if dozens of daggers began slicing across her flesh. She cried out as she weakly pushed herself to her feet as fast as she could to be relieved from the onslaught of the Prince’s magic. Her eyes locked on him, the shoulder length and pulled back golden mane, leading to a lithe yet tall figure who stood near two heads above her. 

When he released his magical hold on her, his hand crushed her throat and shoved her against the wall, knocking the wind from her lungs as his other forearm slammed against her chest, she was used to the hand at her throat to the point she no longer panicked from it, only felt the daze of having her head crash against the wall. “My Prince! I am terribly sorry!” She wheezed out, knowing if she didn’t apologize, he would only act crueler.

“Don’t be sorry, just be better.” The Prince’s tone came out as a vile venom. Next came searing pain as his magic burned from his palm into her neck. Once he’d pulled his hand away, the pain began to migrate and grow in intensity. She muffled herself, knowing if she cried he’d only make it worse and worse until she fainted from shock.

If only the gods had taken me alongside Mama… the most common musing to chime through her mind, and leave her feeling empty.

Far down the halls, she looked up to catch the gaze of an amber eyed giant and his companion, his imposing size, struck her. He stood two heads above the Prince, with a burly frame. His arms were bare, covered in a pelt of black and white hair. Scars etched his skin, speaking of many battles. An unruly mane of salt and pepper hair fell to his waist, matching his great swirling beard. Strange glyphs and tattoos marked his body. At his hip hung a massive broadsword nearly as long as she was tall. His face was stern, with a strong boxy jaw. But his eyes - they conveyed a heat of a lit hearth that ran across her skin, the type that made her imagine dashing towards him and huddle in his embrace for safety. When he raised his oversized fist to his chest, something about the gesture gave her hope, before he stepped into the King’s Chambers, having to duck to clear the doorway.

The halls of the palace were cavernous, with vaulted ceilings that arched high overhead. Intricate stained glass windows cast colorful shadows across the polished marble floors. Tapestries and paintings depicting fae legends lined the walls interspersed with ornate sconces holding enchanted flames. As they walked, Nova could hear the echoing footsteps of the Prince and her own mixed with the murmurs of other servants going about their tasks. The air was thick with perfumes and floral scents from the extravagant arrangements decorating each hallway. It was a lavish yet cold and lifeless splendor.

Nova stepped into the King’s chambers, bowing before the most powerful fae in the Seelie Court. The counsel chambers were immense, with a towering domed ceiling painted with intricate murals of Fae history. Ornate chandeliers holding hundreds of flickering candles illuminated the room with ethereal green and blue hues. Polished white marble ran across the floors, with purple veins running through like spider webs. At the far end sat the King’s gilded throne, encrusted with jewels and plush velvet cushions. Banners with the royal crest hung on the walls, along with masterfully painted portraits of previous kings. Despite the finery, just as the rest of the palace, it all felt empty

She stood beside the amber eyed giant and his companion, who she hadn’t even noticed before. Although the giant stood three heads above his fae companion, it was he who left her fearful for her own life more than the Prince ever had.

 Sharp amethyst colored eyes, that looked akin to those that valued no life, and could exact cruelty beyond imagination. Short yet finely cared for inky black hair and a well groomed matching beard shortly trimmed to his cheeks. He wore robes that elegantly outshone the King and Prince’s; a grave offense yet this Fae was by just the sense of his aura far beyond the either in terms of power, the sort of might that was only thought to be at the hand of a god. She knew who he was, a whisper among the Court of the only fae to be exiled from the Ether and return on a whim, beyond the might have even the Justicar, a group of powerful fae women who arbitrated the disputes between the Courts and hunt the worst criminals. 

“Father! This male dresses in such a disrespectful way! I care no-” The Prince shouted out as he stood beside Nova, only to be cut off by the villainous Fae. 

“Prince Thazin, despite your inflated ego and meaningless title, I have no desire to hear a word from your lips. Silence yourself before I am required to put your father in the position of needing a new heir. I would depose you the moment his crown rests upon your oily hair anyhow.” The Villainous Fae elegantly stated dismissively.

“Son, do as you are told. The male before you is no simple fae. He has felled those far more powerful than you with little effort and less reason. I do not wish for blood in my chambers.” The King scolded the Prince, before leaning back into his throne, with a disinterest laden sigh as he focused back towards the amethyst eyed fae. “To what do we owe this violation of your exile, Ajax?” the King said, with a clear disdain to the fae before him. 

Why am I here? A male like this surely would have no interest in the Prince’s plaything? She pondered to herself as she tried her damndest to remain focused. Court dealings always left her feeling dreadfully bored.

“Exile is not within my understanding. No realm is out of reach for me, as you’re aware. I have come to you because a rather undesirable rodent hides in your court. I will give you this offer once. Either you hand him over or I will besiege your court with a wrath that has left gods cowering.” Ajax stated pointedly, a threat that had Nova fearful that the King would incur the aforementioned wrath. The giant beside Ajax leaned down to whisper something in his ear, before standing up straight. “Ah, as well as your son’s slave. Valen here would like her freed and placed into our care.”

The King’s face contorted into vile frustration, he opened his mouth to speak only for Thazin to burst out first."Nova’ivar is my slave! She is bound to me!” The Prince shouted spewing spit, as he reached to pull his sword only for a being of pure shadow with a great lengthy mass of silvery hair that flowed unbound by the laws of nature, projected out from Ajax’s core to grab Thazin's throat and force him down to a kneel, pressing roughly into the raw onyx stone floors. A dissonant whisper that carried only a promise of death came from all directions in the room. “You are insignificant!” The Prince’s face twisted with agony as the shadow invaded his mind, causing his eyes to flood with purple and black magic, before the Prince fell limp against the ground. 

Nova could feel a soft and cooling touch of magic as all but one of the inked marks faded from her flesh, leaving only the elegant one at the center of her chest that was the fae character for Three New Moons, the state of the moons on the day of her birth that determined her full name, every bit of magic that bound her to the Prince lifted with the tattoos. She felt a sense of relief that was near overwhelming. Her copper eyes flooded with tears, which she tried to blink away only to find a tsunami and whimpers escape her. Without a thought, she buried herself into the side of the giant, just as she’d wished to do earlier.

“Ajax, banish your shadow, please. My son will cease his behavior and I will aid you. Have your companion take Nova’ivar to the Northern gardens. I know she is fond of them. When she is calm, she may gather her things. You and I will discuss the rodent you wish to exterminate.” The King spoke seemingly in no rush, his tone careless that his own son was tortured. He offered only a grimace at the entire debacle. “She is Sela’mann’s daughter. Are you sure you wish to take that upon your hands?” he asked. 

 “I am certain this lost little moon child holds a calling beyond your halls,” Ajax said as he stepped between the giant, herself and the King. She found an odd sense of safety in this moment.

Nova paid little attention to anything after the giant named Valen scooped her into his arms, his hold for her a warmth she’d always craved, but only for the first time in her life experienced. Once they were out of the King’s chambers, she bawled harshly into his massive chest. She’d never even imagined she’d find herself in this position, being freed from the Prince’s cruelty, and magic. No longer dreading the feeling of her own flesh. She cried more and more, as if she unleashed the tears of eons of her misery upon this giant, soaking his tunic. 

Valen carried her to the gardens. As they entered through the ivory archway embroidered with images of the three moons, Nova’s senses came alive. The gardens were riotous with color - emerald leaves on the canopy of trees overhead, bushes with flowers of vibrant pinks and purples heavy with their natural perfume, marble pathways lined with moss and lush grass. She could hear the gentle burble of fountains and streams threaded throughout the landscape. At the center stood a majestic willow tree, its long leafy tendrils swaying in the breeze, their colors an untamed barrage. The fresh floral scents mingled with the earthy undertones of soil. Valen settled on a purple and green marble bench under the willow, its curved shape perfectly contouring to Nova’s body as she wept, soaking his tunic. The peaceful surroundings gradually eased her spirit.

After what felt like an eternity of wailing, Nova inhaled slowly, finding herself able to breathe finally. She silently laid against the giant for several minutes before a whimpering tone left her lips. “Your name is Valen, right?” She gave a sniffle and reached to rub her eyes, only to be surprised with a kerchief in his large hand. She gingerly took it and dabbed it at her eyes and cheeks.

“Yes. Name Valen.” A gruff, deeper than thunder voice erupted from him, with a tone softer than silk. The smile beneath the overgrowth of hair around his mouth was enough to bring her to giggle softly. 

“Why did you free me?” She inquired, worried that he was planning to enslave her again. She felt her stomach sink into a bottomless pit at the thought. 

“Slavery unacceptable. Spent eons caged, Ajax freed long ago. Now free Nova.” Valen replied as a small black kitten unearthed its little head from his robes and let out its best meow. 

Nova grinned at the indignant mew of the kitten, and she patted its head gently. “What do I do now? I don’t know what a free life is like…” 

“Live as please. Find happiness, love, friends, self. Freedom journey never ends. Always more!” Valen said, so cheerfully that she found herself excited at the idea of being able to truly take on a life that she’d spent so long dreaming of, yet she feared she would fail and lose it all.

“I… I don’t know how to do any of that… where do I go?” Nova’s next question came quickly, she was anxious about the concept of freedom, an idea she’d heard of but never thought it would be hers to live. 

“With us,” He replied with a resolute nod. He was so softly spoken, yet he inspired her. 

 “I can come with you? Yes, I never wish to see the Seelie Court again!” She cheered out. Despite her anxiety, she was excited about whatever life offered her, if it meant the gentle giant would be there with her. 

“Get stuff now?” Valen asked as he set her to her feet and she gave him a nod.

“I’ll get it myself. I want to go alone. Can I meet you and Ajax at the palace entrance?” When Valen gave her a nod, she did her best to wrap her arms around his shoulders before taking off to her quarters.

Nova moved through the palace halls in silence to her room. She stopped at her door as she realized that this would be her last time coming and going from her quarters. A swell of emotion hit her as she said goodbye to the only home she’d ever known, although laced with pain she recalled sitting in her Mother’s lap as she brushed her hair while regaling her with tales of faraway lands. She wouldn’t miss the Court, even with it's haunting memories etched into her soul.

She stepped in front of the mirror and pulled it from the wall, setting her mother’s copper ring on her left ring finger. The smooth metal warmed against her skin, the engraved pattern of vines and leaves a familiar texture under her thumb as she spun it. She tucked the silver-plated brush into a pocket of her outfit, its bristles worn but still soft, strands of her own blue hair tangled within.

Nova flashed her brightest smile at the grounded mirror, looking at the fangs of a vampire, which she was half. The Prince would punish her anytime he saw her them, claiming they were brutish and ugly. She’d always liked the small twin points. “Freedom…” she whispered to herself in the mirror, a word she’d never dared think of as it would only bring her sadness, and now it brought her the greatest joy in her life. 

The gods have answered your prayers for freedom, Mama. she thought as her cheeks ached from her smile as the corner of her eyes misted with tears.

She raised a hand to touch the single remaining tattoo on her chest and she shut her eyes, taking a few moments to meditate one last time in her quarters. Her meditation was short-lived as her door burst off its hinges. There stood the Prince, neck scarred with black with horrifying marks. His brown eyes brimming with fury, his hand went for her braid and he threw her against the wall. He held her there as he reached for her pants and tore them away. Next came his hand, violating her more violently than he ever had. “You didn’t think I’d let you leave the Palace! I’ll kill you before you ever taste freedom!” His other hand moved to crush her throat, squeezing the life from her as she could feel him freeing himself from his robes and spear into her with his shaft. His thrust was the harshest he’d ever given to her as her hips and back got cut up against the wall. When he freed his hand from her throat to punch her in the face twice, she let out a howl of pain, hoping her saviors would hear her.

Why couldn’t he have done this any other day? She sobbed to herself, her mouth gooey and clammy as she sucked in as much air as she could. 

A monstrous roar came from nowhere, as much of her quarters became wreathed in brilliantly colorful flames of varying shades of the entire spectrum. One moment the Prince’s weight crushed her against the wall, the next held in the air with Valen’s large palm locked around his slender throat. The Prince bucked and kicked to free himself, only to be bellowing in agony as his entire body erupted in the same vibrant flames. In moments, he was little more than a pile of ash on the floor, with only his dagger remaining. Valen removed one of his massive furs and wrapped them around her. Beneath them he wore a tunic and leather pants, and he carried her out from her room, heading to the exit.

Thazin is dead…am I truly free? A thought rang through her mind. Despite having witnessed it, she couldn’t comprehend such a turn of fate.

Soon, they met with Ajax at the palace entrance, and he noticed how Valen carried Nova. “Did you end him?” Ajax asked as he snapped and the fabric of the world seem to rip open, revealing a gateway swirling with perceivably limitless magic. As he moved his hand, the sleeve of his robe glided back, revealing the shimmering fabric underneath. It appeared to be made of silk in a deep purple hue that shifted to blue and black, like the colors danced gracefully. The ornate runic designs along the cuffs and collar glinted as the light of his gateway to a fate beyond the Seelie Court. 

“Yes.” Valen ran his hand over her back gently, his heated fingertips soothed her. 

"Good. He didn’t deserve to draw breath. Shall we go? We have things to handle elsewhere. Well, I do. You both should rest.” Ajax said as he took the first step into the portal.

What kind of life awaits me beyond? she wondered as Valen took a step forward and the vortex consumed them.

0