Chapter The Living Desert: The Truth about the Bomb
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Feya looked like she wanted to tell Maisie the truth, but something held her back. Guilt? Fear? A combination of both?

        Maisie pried her in the gentlest way possible. “Feya, I can’t help you if you don’t tell me. What happened to ‘Sometimes moving on just takes a little bit of courage’?”

        Feya closed her eyes and turned her back to her, putting her covers over her head. “I’m not ready, Maisie. I’ll tell you when I am.”

        Well, that made Maisie feel bad. She and Feya kept quiet for thirty minutes, but then someone knocked on the room’s door. It opened and revealed a young nurse pushing a cart. “Feya?” she asked, stepping inside. “Your parents are here.”

        At once, Feya removed her covers and sat up. Nevertheless, she quickly lied back down.

        A younger couple dressed in travel clothes entered her room. The woman, who looked like Feya, let go of the stout, brown-headed man and yelled, “Feya!”

        Maisie picked up the chair and moved away.

        Mr. and Mrs. Fedora rushed to Feya and threw their arms around her, crying hurricanes.

        “Мама, тато,” she sobbed, returning their hugs. “I’m sorry.”

        Her parents continued to weep. “Oh, Feya.”

        Mrs. Fedora kissed her cheeks a couple of times. “We thought we lost you.”

        Feya shut one eye. “I’m fine, Mom.”

        Maisie gave them space. Still carrying Milo, she left the room and went to a waiting area down the hallway. There was a TV, fish tank, and bookshelf in it. Maisie sat on the couch before the window and turned on the TV, pulling up Disney+. She stripped her Custodial shirt and spread it out on the sofa for Milo. Maisie watched the fish for a bit, and then she received a text from her mom.

        Hey, sweetie. Your dad and I couldn’t find a flight, so we’re driving there tonight. We should be there by 3:30. Are you okay?

        Doing better, Maisie answered. Feya’s out of the ICU but has a concussion, according to Isla, the girl who called it in. Her parents just got here.

        Good news! Stay strong, sweetie, and we’ll be there soon. We love you.

        Love you, too.

        Maisie lowered her phone and stared at it. Was she okay? Feya was a wreck. All her joy had vanished—an Island of Personality gone—and she didn’t trust Maisie enough to tell her the truth about the bomb.

        A voice in the hallway startled her. “Knock, knock.”

        Maisie looked up and saw Mrs. Fedora standing at the waiting area’s entrance, her long, dirty blonde hair in a ponytail. “Feya said you may be here since you like to read. May I?” She gestured at the couch.

        Maisie didn’t answer but grabbed Milo and her shirt and slid down it.

        “Thank you.” Mrs. Fedora approached her and plopped down beside Maisie. “I’m sorry you had to go through this today, dear.”

        “It’s whatever. Feya can make it up to me by buying me a drink.” Maisie chuckled at her joke but lost her smile again.

        Silence followed, and then Mrs. Fedora sighed. “Did she tell you what happened in Ukraine?”

        Maisie scoffed. “She said it was a bomb.”

        “But did she tell you what happened?”

        “Just that it was a bomb.” Maisie leaned over the sofa’s arm and released a book from the bookshelf.

        “So… she didn’t.” Mrs. Fedora’s face paled a little, and she shivered.

        “You-You don’t have to tell me if it’s too hard.” Maisie didn’t want to feel like a burden.

        “No, no, you have every right to know.” Mrs. Fedora chewed her pinkie and lowered it. “The truth is, Maisie… Feya sacrificed her leg to save Daisy.”

        “Daisy?” Now, Maisie’s face paled. She didn’t want to believe it, but why would Ms. Fedora lie? Sure, to protect her daughter, but it seemed like she was asking Maisie for help.

        “Feya was devastated after Victoriya died,” she elucidated. “The week leading up to the bombing, she did not leave Daisy’s side. She got so close to her. On the day of the bombing, Daisy escaped, but Feya refused to lose another close friend so soon.”

        Mrs. Fedora’s voice shook. “Such a brave girl. She chased after Daisy while the bombs dropped. Feya found her and got her out of there in time, but when she tried to run, the final bomb struck.” She whimpered under the harrowing memory. “That was the one that changed everything. The doctors said Feya wouldn’t have survived if we stayed, so we left. She lost so much blood, Maisie, and was in a coma when we got to the U.S.” At that point in the story, Mrs. Fedora buried her face. “We nearly lost her because she loves Daisy as much as her friend.”

        A few tears escaped Maisie’s eyes. This was horrible!

        “It should’ve been us,” Mrs. Fedora sniveled. “Not her, but we were too scared to follow her. Too damn scared!” She clenched her fist and punched the red cushion. “War sucks, Maisie!”

        Maisie jumped.

        “I’m sorry,” Mrs. Fedora added.

        “It’s okay.” Maisie embraced her, and Milo moved from her lap into Mrs. Fedora’s.

        Maisie let her have her cry before she released her. “I’m going to help Feya through this, Mrs. Fedora. I promise. She has taught me so much in the past few weeks. It’s time I return the favor.”

        “Please,” Mrs. Fedora begged. “She’s going to hate the wheelchair. We can’t do this alone, Maisie. Feya needs you, Daisy, Milo, and us more than ever. Please, help us get our Feya back.”

        Maisie squeezed her shoulder. “I will do everything I can. After all, Feya said that sometimes moving on just takes a little bit of courage.” She finally understood the meaning behind those words. What happened that day with Feya was both an accident and destiny.

        Milo really was a true hero.

0