Ep 4. What Even Was That?! (4)
1.6k 8 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ep 4. What Even Was That?! (4)

 

Patrick slowly unwrapped his arms around the little child. He didn’t know what to say.

When was the last time he saw Zion seething in so much hatred? The menace in his eyes was akin to that of someone who’d lost their entire family to a serial killer. Worse, in fact.

“Serenis.”

The professor had collected himself before Patrick ever could. As the half-crow began to speak, Serenis turned to face him again.

“If I recall correctly, you stated that you are a…dragonlord.”

“…Not ‘a’ dragonlord. ‘The’ dragonlord.”

“The?”

“I was not one of many lords, but the very first. And I did not live to see the second.”

“The first…”

While Karas knew little about draconic history, Serenis was sounding like there were multiples of these ‘lords’ – and considering the lifespan of dragons, Karas couldn’t even begin to imagine when their first lord would’ve been alive. The easiest explanation would be to think that the boy was making this all up, but…

‘The sheer depth of their soul…I’d rather wager they’re telling the truth.’

“You haven’t answered my question yet. How many are there?”

“Ah…yes, the deities. There are twelve in total.”

“Twelve…”

After liberating her world from the clutches of one divine being, twelve more had replaced them.

The dragon chuckled at the irony. Perhaps if they didn’t struggle so hard to break free, they’d still just have one leash on their necks, not twelve.

The professor cautiously inquired further.

“Have the deities…done something to you? In the distant past?”

“No. I don’t even know who they are.”

“Then why…?”

Karas wanted to ask why Serenis seemed to hate them so much, but his question was answered before he could finish it.

“Because divinity is an illusion.”

“An illusion?”

“Are the divine a necessity?”

Karas paused to think on the matter. He never considered this point.

Were the deities necessary? What would happen if they were to suddenly disappear?

Both theories and history led to one answer that was spoken by the professor.

“No. The world would likely still function as is.”

“Exactly. Divinity is an illusion used to justify one’s will. Manipulating the world is not a right of the divine, but a ruse to trick the weak into thinking thus. The only difference that separates a god and a mortal is whether you have the power to facilitate your will.”

‘And we gave our lives to break free of that will.’

Serenis didn’t bother adding the last bit. Karas wouldn’t understand it anyways.

…Meanwhile, Patrick was no longer following the conversation.

‘What should I have for dinner…chicken? Chicken sounds great. With some salad on the side.’

His mind was wandering further and further, until…

Slap!

…Serenis slapped him across the face.

“What was that for?!”

“You seemed distracted.”

“I- that’s no reason to slap people!”

“Alright. Then I just felt like it.”

“That’s even worse!”

“Oh, grow up.”

“…”

You’re younger than me…and smaller.

Karas cleared his throat.

“Ahem. Well anyhow, it was a pleasure meeting the two of you. I’ll be seeing you both, I presume?”

Serenis and Patrick answered in unison.

“What for?”

They blankly stared at the professor in confusion.

“Well, first off, Serenis just passed the entrance exam. With astounding performance, might I add – even I’ve never seen a spell quite like what you used on stage. And Patrick, an enforcer meeting is scheduled for later this week. You didn’t forget it, did you?”

Both of them stared at each other, then back at the professor.

“Entrance exam to what?”

“You’re coming to that meeting? Did you quit being a professor to become an enforcer?”

Karas rubbed his forehead. It was him getting the headache this time.

“First, entrance exam to the Magic Institution…literally the institution that owns the courtyard you’re standing on. And for the enforcer meeting, I’m joining to introduce a case that requires addressing by you lot.”

Patrick was satisfied with that explanation. Unfortunately, Serenis was not.

“Magic Institution this, Magic Institution that. What exactly is this Magic Institution?”

“A school of magic. The largest and the most renowned of this continent.”

“A school? Isn’t that where little humans go in groups to learn things from bigger humans?”

“Not…per se, but something like that, yes.”

“Why on earth would I go to such a place? I’m neither little nor human.”

Even Serenis knew something was wrong with that statement in this moment.

“…Okay, I concede that I am little and human in the present, but that does not mean I need to learn things from other humans.”

“I’m sure I could teach you more about the contemporary era. Like the deities.”

“Sold.”

‘Sold’? A dragonlord uses phrases like ‘sold’? Maybe Zion’s personality is somewhere in that little skull after all.

“So, I’ll be seeing you both then, yes?”

“Yes, professor…”

“I suppose. When I have no better things to do.”

Patrick eyed the little boy suspiciously.

What ‘better things’ could you possibly have to do other than going to school at your age?

Fortunately, he wasn’t the only one with this inquiry in mind.

“Hm? Have plans already, Serenis?”

“Certainly. Regaining my strength, reclaiming my body, finding my kin, learning of what happened to the star in the last millennium…”

“Grandiose plans for a little kid.”

“Say that again, Patrick?”

“…Sorry.”

“Hm.”

Karas rubbed his beak again. The professor seemed to be taking the little boy’s words at least a million times more seriously than Patrick was.

“And how do you suppose you’ll go about accomplishing those?”

“Finding the remains of my old body would be the easiest way. Failing that, I’ll simply have to collect sufficient mana from the star. If I regain my strength, finding my kin is an easy task, and…I have you to explain our star’s history.”

The professor nodded in agreement, but raised a finger to add one suggestion.

“A fine plan, but might I add that I can simply tell you where your kin is.”

“You know?”

“Yes. You did say you were a dragonlord, did you not?”

“I still am. Regardless of my physical body, my identity will not change.”

“The dragons reside within a secluded area in the northern sections of Mire Forest. While I am unsure what their term would be, we call it the Dragon’s Valley. Directly north from here, albeit quite some distance away.”

With a determined look, Serenis immediately jumped into the air. And, contrary to Patrick’s expectations, the little boy did not fall back down.

Instead, luminescent wings that had grown from his shoulders kept him afloat. Wings that much resembled a dragon’s.

‘Mana wings? When did he-‘

“Thank you.”

With the shortest notice of gratitude possible, the tiny figure sped away into the distant skies. Patrick reached out his hand in an attempt to stop little child, but Serenis was out of sight before he could even decide on what to say.

“Zion! Er, Serenis! Wait!”

After realizing the boy had just flown off to the northern edge of the continent, Patrick turned and looked at Karas with a miserable gaze.

“Professor! Why would you tell him that?!”

Instead of answering his question, Karas’ eyes remained glued to the blue skies above for a few seconds longer. When he finally spoke, it wasn’t even remotely close to an answer.

“Patrick, do you know how long it takes to travel from here to Mire?”

“…What?”

“Even with the fastest transportation methods available, it’d take at least three weeks. And that’s assuming no precautions were taken to avoid the dangers on the way. But at that speed, your friend will reach it within the next two hours.”

The professor looked down at his student and shrugged.

“We’re in no place to worry about them.”

“He’s just a child!”

“No. That is most definitely not just a child, Patrick.”

Karas’ eyes showed a hint of excitement as he said the next bit. That child’s soul was unlike any other, its depth too deep for even Karas to fully comprehend.

“That was an entity possessing of a depth far surpassing the current era. It’s quite possible that they really are who they claimed to be.”

“You’re insane, professor.”

“Time will tell.”

They both laughed. It was a rare moment.

“Just wait patiently. I’m certain Serenis will return soon.”

“…I’m never gonna get used to that name. Doesn’t even sound like a boy’s name.”

“That’s because she isn’t.”

“Huh?”

“Serenis is female.”

“…Excuse me?”

“Serenis. That’s a female dragon. Now that I think about it, you had the incorrect pronoun all along.”

“…Zion’s a boy. Or Serenis, whatever their name is. He’s been one all his life.”

“We’ll see how long that statement stands true. I’m willing to wager that you’ll be wrong by tonight.”

“…”

Oh, what the hell.

75